Which Van

Boatboy50

Mar 4, 2012
Gold Coast, Australia
Hi Guys and Girls,

New here and in the market.

I'm looking to purchase either a 16.49.3, or a 18.57 for our family with two young girls (6 Months and 3).

We are based on the Gold Coast, and looking for short trips to a week, with a view to maybe an extended long trip in a couple of years.

I tow with a 2012 Navara ST 2.5L Diesel.

I'm used to towing 3.0T in boats, so that is not such an issue.

I'm looking at used vans 06+, and both of these above vans seem to fit our needs, with the same budget.

Can anyone recommend pro's and con's of each? Is the full height van size and weight on the 18 with slide out an issue for towing?

Will I regret buying the bigger van because of weight and phsical towing size? Or will the extra living space in it outweigh this?

Thanks in advance.

Darren

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day Darren and welcome to the forum. :couch2: Good to have another Gold Coaster aboard. I can't help you with your choice of those two vans but you have come to the right place for the info required. Be prepared for a multitude of responses as we have owners of all types of vans here. Your Nav certainly wont have a problem pulling your choice of van.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
G'Day Darren,
the choice of van is a personal one, we went a 17.56-2 because of the sleeping arrangments and I didn't really want a full height van with the extras that I was adding.

Like I said its a personal choice, you will pick what best suits you.

16.49 is lighter and would be easier to tow, 18.57 would feel roomier and less set up time, but more weights and larger object to tow. My two bobs worth

You will make the right decision.

Boatboy50

Mar 4, 2012
Gold Coast, Australia
Thanks Guys,

I should have clarified that both van layouts are suitable to us.

The issue i'm having is more about size/height/weight between the two.

Is the bigger van that much heavier/painful to tow than the 16.49 poptop?

Darren

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
G'day Boatboy50 and welcome to the forum :welcome:

I cant comment on the 18' but I have the 16' and it works well for us. I guess a couple of things to consider is how much time you will spend in the Expanda in relation to weather etc for the size of the interior. One thing I like about the pop top is its low tow height say into a head wind. It only takes a couple half a minute to pop the roof.

I guess the downside is if you duck in and out the Expanda the pop top roof is lower so the full height might be better for those roadside stops.

Good luck with your decsion and let us know what you decide on. :tea:

Jim and Tab

Jul 29, 2011
Bendigo Victoria
hi Boatmen and welcome
Just checked out the jayco site and the average weight of the 16 footer is around 1500 kg and the 18 around 2000 kg
thats 25% weight diference.if the !6 footer suits your needs that would be (and was )our choice.
cheers jim/Tab and Diamond

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hi Darren and welcome.
We have just sold our 16 and moving to a 18. The main reasons were for full height with better insulation (spot the Victorian that travels a lot in the cold areas!!), large club lounge and toilet and shower.
If I was starting out again I would have still started with the 16 and upgraded.
The pop top is such a fantastic compact van to tow. I know I will feel the weight when that 18 is hitched behind the pathie for the first time. So I am glad I have had my time to understand my van before moving to something bigger.
Caravans hold their price really well so if the 16 does not suit you can always go for something larger later and not loose a lot dollar wise.

Boatboy50

Mar 4, 2012
Gold Coast, Australia
Hi Brad,

Thanks. I think my worst fears were realised when reading through another thread on here about fuel efficiency. It said a poptop Van increases fuel consumption by 9%, whereas a full height van increases it by 28%, or something thereof.

I think i've decided on the 16.49.3 for this and other towing reasons. Insulation is not such an issue for us Qlders, and I hate the cold so doubt i'll travel south during the winter months.

I just can't get my head around having to pay the same $$ for a smaller van with equal features and age/condition.

I found the original purchase receipt in the van im looking to buy, Jan 2008 (07 model) paid $37,800, used now asking $35,990, so it shows the resale holds up very well.

Anyone with their thoughts on the actual value of this van, in an outback?

Thanks again

Darren

crystal674

Jun 17, 2011
Benaraby Qld
Welcome darren!!!

G'day Boatboy50 and welcome to the forum :welcome:

I cant comment on the 18' but I have the 16' and it works well for us. I guess a couple of things to consider is how much time you will spend in the Expanda in relation to weather etc for the size of the interior. One thing I like about the pop top is its low tow height say into a head wind. It only takes a couple half a minute to pop the roof.

I guess the downside is if you duck in and out the Expanda the pop top roof is lower so the full height might be better for those roadside stops.

Good luck with your decsion and let us know what you decide on. :tea:

Cruza, I don't need to duck!!

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Thanks. I think my worst fears were realised when reading through another thread on here about fuel efficiency. It said a poptop Van increases fuel consumption by 9%, whereas a full height van increases it by 28%, or something thereof.

Our petrol Prado goes from 14l/100km to 17l/100km when towing.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi Brad,

I think i've decided on the 16.49.3 for this and other towing reasons. Insulation is not such an issue for us Qlders, and I hate the cold so doubt i'll travel south during the winter months.

I just can't get my head around having to pay the same $$ for a smaller van with equal features and age/condition.

I found the original purchase receipt in the van im looking to buy, Jan 2008 (07 model) paid $37,800, used now asking $35,990, so it shows the resale holds up very well.

Anyone with their thoughts on the actual value of this van, in an outback?

Thanks again

Darren

Hi Darren

Without trying offend anyone, with 2.5 litre Narvra I would be going with the 16 ft. They do have better resale as your found. Is it a hardlid over the beds or soft? If the latter that's a bit dear IMO.

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Hey Darren,
The 17.56.2 we just towed it from Bundaberg down to Forster - Tuncurry. We have a 2011 2.5ltr Triton and it chewed through 16ltrs/100. Vortex diesel could've been a different story though. With the Hayman Reese WDH the van towed a treat and stayed at the speed limit.
Good to see you on the forum.
Cheers Deano

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi Brad,

Darren

good choice of van the 16.49.3 and your thoughts on fuel consumption will allways be in your mind,yes poptop are low and insulation differs from full bodied van, though not issue up north as you've mentioned.personal perference for making van selection though each to their own, in the end your family decision will be right for the enjoyment,cheers.

benandjordansmum

Feb 8, 2012
Logan Village, Qld
Hi guys

We are relatively new to the forum also and live not far from the Goldie. We picked up our 2010 expanda 16.94 last Monday. We were lucky and found ours locally with all the basics. We just need to add a few things. We also have two children, a boy and a girl and hope that this model works for us. We stayed to the smaller model due to loving the beach camping as well as the outback. Your price does seem a little high, particularly for a soft lid model. Good luck in your search!!

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
We opted for the poptop option because we thought towing wise it was a bit more compact. In our Hawk we've slept in negative temps before - the top of the Snowy Mountains -Kiandra in massive frost - just need a bit more eiderdown! Its getting out of the sleeping bag in the morning when the kids are keen to get up at 6.30 before the sun has had a chance to warm anything up that is the problem

Boatboy50

Mar 4, 2012
Gold Coast, Australia
Hey,

Did you buy new from Jayco Gold Coast? I did look there and they had some keen pricing on 2011 models, but none with ensuite unfortunately.

All the 16.49.3 for sale seem to be priced around mid 30's with a couple of exceptions.

Darren

Hi guys

We are relatively new to the forum also and live not far from the Goldie. We picked up our 2010 expanda 16.94 last Monday. We were lucky and found ours locally with all the basics. We just need to add a few things. We also have two children, a boy and a girl and hope that this model works for us. We stayed to the smaller model due to loving the beach camping as well as the outback. Your price does seem a little high, particularly for a soft lid model. Good luck in your search!!

benandjordansmum

Feb 8, 2012
Logan Village, Qld
Hey,

Did you buy new from Jayco Gold Coast? I did look there and they had some keen pricing on 2011 models, but none with ensuite unfortunately.

All the 16.49.3 for sale seem to be priced around mid 30's with a couple of exceptions.

Darren

Hi Darren

I looked at new also at Gold Coast and Wynnum. But was still drawn back to the private sellers. I didn't mind what year it was but definitely had to have a 150 ltr fridge and hard lids.

We looked at the 16.49.3 models also but opted for the 16.49.1 with less weight. We still bring the loo in at night as we did with the camper and use the shower tent with the Coleman.

Good luck with your search. Keep us posted with what u get!

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
Hi Darren, welcome. Happy to see another Qld'er :)

We went for a 2006 16.49-2 cause we have 4 kids and need the bunks, big fridge and good storage. Also the pop top is the only option since around the side of the house is limited clearance as well the longer caravan has limited maneuverability around corners when reversing.

Ours is an Outback too and we bought it privately for the high 20' for it last year. We have the soft bed ends as well. They work great, just a bit more setup time. We also found that the shower/toilet models are usually more expensive than those without.

We are looking at the 17.56-2 for the not too distant future. Don’t panic too much about the fuel, just think of the entire exercise still saving more money than staying in 2 bedroom apartment (3 bedroom in our case) whenever you go away.

Extra 4L/100kms, most trips 2 hours there and back, $1.50/L for fuel, extra $24 per trip. Well worth it to have your house come with you...

Cheers. Gil