Which Hitch?

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
Since my previous post I have been doing lots of research and thinking about the off road hitches. I have read some previous threads which have been interesting refer to previous " Off Road Hitches for Expanda" and also this other web sitehttp://www.campertrailers.org/couplings.htm -

It seems about 50% of of road trailers/caravans have a treg/trigg style coupling. Jayco offer either a treg or Hyland coupling (similar prices). If we wanted something else we would have to fit aftermarket.

The concern I have with the treg/trigg is the precision in actually coupling it to the vehicle (I have read comments about reverse cameras etc which should make it easier etc) - but I would prefer something that takes all the precision and arguments :argue::mad2:out of it. Perhaps the hyland is a better option?. It seems with off road hitches though polyurethane gives some shock absorbing properties and reduces noise - does the hyland system have this?

I have also done some research of the OzHitch which seems to look quite good - but have read a post here about how greasy etc it can be. Does anyone have the McHitch Uniglide? Would the holes for these align up with the normal ball coupling holes for an easy changeover.

One other that looks quite good (although expensive at + $700) is the Hitch-Ezy - designed specifically with the off road caravan in mind - has anyone seen this in action or have thoughts on this?

One other concern we had was towing an off road coupling means we cant use a Weight Distribution system - which appears others highly recommend. perhaps the Simplicity Suspension in the van may help a small tad with this? I have read of some using the WDS with hyland coupling then unhooking it in off o-ad situations. Thought we may need the WDS with an estimated 2400ATM on the 17.56-2
we are looking to order.

All of this seems very confusing :confused:to me and would love to hear of others experiences or thoughts on their off road couplings!

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
On our Expanda weve a trigg hitch, which we also had on our OB hawk previously. We have hooked and unhooked on all different types of angles with out any dramas. The one advantage I like with the trigg is the shock absorption qualities and lack of moving locking mechanisms to get binded up from grit and the like. We dont have a WDH either.

This is our experience anyway I haven't used any type of other offroad hitch so I cant comment on those. The Hitch-Ezy looks like it has a lot of moving parts and is up there in price but looks like it could handle anything thrown at it. Maybe overkill for where an Expanda can comfortably go.

Moto Moto has a hyland hitch and Bushman has also had one too so maybe they can help with your questions on those.

Good luck with your decision.

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
G'day,

We have ordered the Trigg Hitch on our new expanda also. We had it on the Eagle & didn't have any trouble hooking up. As CD said the shock absorption is a good feature also....

Paul