Which hitch

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
yep you would be pretty much correct, the ball suitable for Hyland has a taller/thicker base flange this is particularly important if you are using a WDH

Well what can I say about my balls:redface: I just knew when I was typing it some one would see the dirty side of it.

So I guess I should describe my balls, I read a lot of reviews prior to purchasing my hitch & they all said to go with a slightly longer shaft, the theory is the longer shaft keeps the neck of the hitch off the tongue..... BUT I have found the opposite.

My ball with the shorter shaft has as yet never got stuck, where as the ball with the longer shaft often gets stuck.

I have never used a WDH as I have air bags, but I cant see why the length of the shaft would make any difference to WDH's performance.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Well what can I say about my balls:redface: I just knew when I was typing it some one would see the dirty side of it.

So I guess I should describe my balls, I read a lot of reviews prior to purchasing my hitch & they all said to go with a slightly longer shaft, the theory is the longer shaft keeps the neck of the hitch off the tongue..... BUT I have found the opposite.

My ball with the shorter shaft has as yet never got stuck, where as the ball with the longer shaft often gets stuck.

I have never used a WDH as I have air bags, but I cant see why the length of the shaft would make any difference to WDH's performance.

Plenty of info there for us to bonder and its your 5th post :peep:

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I only have one ball and it's on the end of a short shaft....might have to get a hyland hitch! :D

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com

So I guess I should describe my balls, I read a lot of reviews prior to purchasing my hitch & they all said to go with a slightly longer shaft, the theory is the longer shaft keeps the neck of the hitch off the tongue.... BUT I have found the opposite.

thats gold.

Plenty of info there for us to bonder and its your 5th post :peep:

agreed CD.

Pace.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I'm not disputing what you say here, Bushman, but why would it make a difference if using a WDH?

Just trying to learn.

Ok just saw this, I'll try and explain, and this mostly from what I've read and heard from reaserch, On the Hyland hitch the overall width of the hitch at the ball cup is wider than a standard hitch this is due to the ball cup sitting in a pivot bracket that gives it some of its off-road ability over the standard ball hitch.

Now look at the top of a Hayman Reece WDH there is 2 raised sections either side of the ball where the bars of the WDH slot into, the Hyland ball cup tends to sit lower over standard for some reasons, this causes it to foul on top of the WDH when turning, so using the ball with the higher flange/shank prevents the fouling.

I'm pretty sure Moto from is forum has to use the differnt ball with his Hyland hitch and he only runs a standard tow bar not a WDH

Also found out the using a DO35 off-road hitch with a WDH requires an adaptor plate.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
I use an ozhitch and have no ball only a pin... Really feel inadequate. :dizzy:
Issue with ozhitch is I am a grease magnet grrr. Apart from that it is great. There is a sweet spot with the pin to make it go in and out smoothly..