Which hitch

Oct 21, 2012
Hi just wondering what hitches everyone is running on outback models and do you like them easy to use thanks for any info

POD

Dec 18, 2012
Newcastle Region
Had an oz hitch, found it hard to line up perfectly because of the drawer bar weight. Went for an Alko off road hitch - price of cr@p, avoid them.

Now have a hyland hitch. Sensational. As easy to use as a normal hitch, can still have your normal tow bar, has the same movement as any other hitch. Love it.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
I run a Treg Hitch on our discovery. Have had these on all previous trailers. Never had a problem hooking it up but now with a reverse camera on our Cruiser, it as easy as anything out there.

Chooky

Jan 14, 2013
Glenden, Qld
I ran a McHitch on my swan and removed it to fit on the Expanda, also run one on my box trailer. Good solid hitch and easy to hook up, also reasonably priced compaired to others.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Have a hyland hitch on our 16 footer. Found it really easy to use, just like a normal 50mm ball hitch, but with the increased movement of the Treggs etc.

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
I have a hyland hitch, but there is a catch you need the correct ball.
I say this because I have 2 different balls, one on the bike carrier & one on the standard tongue, there is a marked difference between them in the ease of unhitching one of the balls will often get stuck & require a bit of moving forward & backward to get it to let go, while the other is perfect.
Yes I have switched the balls between the tongues (bike rack & no bike rack).

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
How to respond....!

As far as i understand, a normal ball and a Hyland ball are both 50mm however the Hyland has a longer neck so the hitch fits it properly - that would explain why the hylan hitch gets stuck on the standard ball.

yep you would be pretty much correct, the ball suitable for Hyland has a taller/thicker base flange this is particularly important if you are using a WDH

POD

Dec 18, 2012
Newcastle Region
yep you would be pretty much correct, the ball suitable for Hyland has a taller/thicker base flange this is particularly important if you are using a WDH

I'm not disputing what you say here, Bushman, but why would it make a difference if using a WDH?

Just trying to learn.

hollywood

Oct 8, 2012
Brisbane
I'm not disputing what you say here, Bushman, but why would it make a difference if using a WDH?

Just trying to learn.

Ozhitch all the way ! Reliable, easy to use, there is a secret tho.
And can open Pajero back door easily.
Totally recommend