Which dual cab

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Actually you really wouldn't go wrong with any of the ute's that have a 3.5t tow cap, each has something but are very much the same. I would be more inclined to have a good look at vehicles with the tub and canopy and just see how you go with access as mine is a tray back with shed and I chose this style after checking out @Chartrocks set up along with the otyher fellas utes at a group meet last year, the tray back with shed is far easier to pack and get at your gear. http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/drovers-new-horse-rg-colorado.7294/

I get stopped all over the place by fellas wanting info as they are fed up with the tub/canopy or tub/lid set up they have, I don't crawl or lift anything, just open door lean in and grab..................

Oh and while the Amarok is great to drive, I wouldn't go there, twin turbo's, small donk....................

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
Thanks for all the replies.
Ok so I was sold on a ranger but not so sure now after doing some calculations with the weights
Ranger weights as follows
Kerb = 2230kg
Gross = 3200kg
CGM = 6000.
The starcraft is 3000kg with a ball wt of 270kg

Add accessories to ranger such as
Bull bar = 80kg
Canopy = 100kg
Draws = 50kg
Long range fuel tank replacement = extra 80kg
Generator , Jack and other bits = 100kg

Occupants (4) = 240kg
So the gross comes to 3150
and the CGM = 5880

This is getting very close to the legal maximums

What are others doing or are you not looking at the weights.

Just interested.

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
The above is pretty much true for all the dual cabs. Unless you look at a 70 series but that's going to lose out in other areas. Only other option I know that will give you more capacity would be the yank tanks, but big $$$.

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
This is very true.
I don't mind the 70 series but the wife will not have a bar of them. She hates the look of them both in and out. I must admit they are a bit agricultural still.
State wide 4X4 do GVM upgrade which is about $2000 So I need to do a little more homework.
Has anyone done a GVM upgrade? any info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Phil

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
A few of us did the maths awhile back and came to the conclusion that basically all the dual cabs with 3.5 tow cap that when loaded up for decent touring you only get about a 2.8 tow cap at most and as @JT76 said Yank Tank, Dodge, Chevy etc are the way to go, though I quite like the 70 series.
The all singing, all dancing upgrade is usually a spring/shock upgrade which has been certified, so costs more but they only give you 200 odd kgs but if you are going to tow anything over 2ton then you should chuck the OME suspension anyway as it's usually rubbish.
If you go to this NSW Gov site http://myrta.com/rvd/searchRVD.do?submitValue=start
and tap away you will find the legal caps of vehicles including those with the approved upgrades, only works during business hours and can take a bit of effort but is worthwhile.

I believe most people stick their heads in the sand or just don't have a clue more likely, the Van bloke said it can tow 3.5t, so they do and their eyes glaze over when you explain things to them.......................seen Prado's and Pajero's towing big rigs, so there you go it must be okay.

Reactions: bigcol and Dobbie

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Be very carefull with respect to what the GVM etc refers to. Go over corrugations, bad roads, etc and the manufacturers maximum limits do not apply. The manufacturer assumes a perfectly flat road for their spec limits...Do not underestimate the change in ball forces when not on a perfectly flat road.Loading a car up is very different to loading a car up and having non-static forces on your towball.

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
A 10HP rider mower will tow a 3.5tonne van on a nice flat road... The nearest hill could be a problem.... The ex Prado (2003 model) used to overheat going up the Toowoomba range if you got caught behind traffic and couldn't travel at a speed that the car liked..

Had the ARB GVM upgrade on the cruiser a couple weeks back. An extra 230kg legally...versus the 500kg of the Lovells GVM upgrade....Tis enough extra weight (just) for what we put in the car. On the road you can't notice much difference comfort wise, i think it doesn't role as much cornering which is good and it's a couple inches higher.

upload_2016-4-18_6-57-54.png

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
One thing to consider is that a GVM upgrade doesn't change your GCM with the dual cabs. I think the 200 series increases the GCM with GVM upgrade but I certainly know the Colorado doesn't. Therefore, it doesn't really change the amount you can carry as you'll be hamstrung by van weight anyhow.

Dean81

Nov 18, 2012
Brisvegas, Qld
www.ausplay.net.au
http://www.holden.com.au/cars/colorado

do this payload calculator off the holden website, actually pretty cool.

Scroll down to payload calculator, select your car and away you go.. Obviusly Fords, Mazda's and others have different kerb weights.
but its quite interesting to see it add up pretty quick.

Otherwise buy the Ford Raptor 250. lol

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

jawk

Apr 7, 2016
Yackandandah
Thanks for all the replies.
Ok so I was sold on a ranger but not so sure now after doing some calculations with the weights
Ranger weights as follows
Kerb = 2230kg
Gross = 3200kg
CGM = 6000.
The starcraft is 3000kg with a ball wt of 270kg

Add accessories to ranger such as
Bull bar = 80kg
Canopy = 100kg
Draws = 50kg
Long range fuel tank replacement = extra 80kg
Generator , Jack and other bits = 100kg

Occupants (4) = 240kg
So the gross comes to 3150
and the CGM = 5880

This is getting very close to the legal maximums

What are others doing or are you not looking at the weights.

Just interested.

'14 Triton GLXR Auto & Starcraft.
At time of weighing Van has two full 80 something litre water tanks, two full gas bottles and a full battery.
Ute weights include full fuel tank, me (90kg), tub liner, rubber mat, a few spanners, and WDH bars and tow hitch.

GCM 5700kg - actual CM 4820kg
GVM 2930kg - actual VM 2080kg
Tow ball weight limit 300kg - actual towball weight 180kg
Towing limit 3000kg
Van ATM 2985kg (could have been higher but wanted it below 3000kg) - actual van weight as described above 2620kg.

Van Tare according to the weighbridge ticket from Jayco is 2473kg, and they reckon the ball weight is 177kg - so pretty right really.

So we have a reasonable bit of payload for both the ute and van available even taking the GCM and individual GVM and ATM into account.

(so payload would include clothes, 1x wife, 1x skinny 8yo girl, engel, more tools, food - all the usual stuff!)

Reactions: Drover

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
Thanks for that jawk.
So what model starcraft do you have.
How does the triton cope towing the van especially in the hills.
I liked the new triton but on paper the ranger and the BT50 are a better option although a dearer option.

I will be taking my van in for a service in may so I intend to take it over a weight bridge at that time and see where I stand .

Thanks

jawk

Apr 7, 2016
Yackandandah
Thanks for that jawk.
So what model starcraft do you have.
How does the triton cope towing the van especially in the hills.
I liked the new triton but on paper the ranger and the BT50 are a better option although a dearer option.

I will be taking my van in for a service in may so I intend to take it over a weight bridge at that time and see where I stand .

Thanks

'16 22.68-1 outback big hoo'er

Theres pics of the van and ute in the starcraft section here.

Oh and I drove the new new triton auto when i was getting a service - doesnt really tow any better but motor a lot quieter.

Cheers
Gary

Dean81

Nov 18, 2012
Brisvegas, Qld
www.ausplay.net.au
Found it, not impressed though, I think my figures broke it...........................it nearly said I better buy a Dodge RAM or big arse Chevy job.....an extra 10psi in the tyres should cover it.

with my Colorado and the time you added all the extra weight and passengers I had 180kg left to play with.
I allowed for canopy, steel bull bar, extra battery, roof racks, 60l engel fridge and 4 passengers (2 adults & 2 kids).

This is all relative to when the van was on of course.

Reactions: Drover

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
@4wdphil in regard how anything is going to tow up hills, look at the torque figures (Nm). My apologies for stating the obvious.

I went with the Grand Cherokee, 570Nm. Has the highest power to $$$ ratio on the market.

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
At times I miss the Old Jeeperific @BigSkiddy it was such a nice vehicle to cruise around in Colorado beats it for carrying all my junk though.