16' Series Where to carry bikes

Bundy086

Nov 14, 2015
Sunshine Coast
Hi all,

We recently bought a 2012 16.49 OB and did our first major trip over Christmas. My husband had a steel fabrication guy build a replacement rear bar that we could attach a bike carrier to. We only put 2 adult bikes on, my 3yo's was in the car, but the bar flexed immediately when the bikes were on (wife comment - money well spent!) He used a ratchet strap to secure it to the back of the van. We had a lot of sway on the first leg of our trip, as the loving wife in the passenger seat, of course I had a few more words to say about that - eek! ;-)

On the way home, we went a little off-roading to get to a lagoon and when we stopped, we saw the handle at the rear of the van that the ratchet had attached to was snapped off and the bike rack had bent right down. We ditched one crappy bike and put the other inside the van for the ride home. My husband then said the difference in the sway was insane, the bikes has really been affecting the weight distribution.

So now, we have a problem. We have 2 kids, 3.5yo and 11mo, and enjoy riding bikes ourselves too. For now, the kids bikes can go in the car, but what is the best way to carry larger bikes without creating the sway from them on the back?

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
Im guessing on the back or roof of the car is not an option?

And i would say the "sway" from the added weight on the back from the bikes could be corrected for by adding some more weight to the front of the van somehow or packing your van differently. Might be time to get some tow ball weight scales out and check it all once its packed and loaded for the trip? Just a thought.

Reactions: bigcol

iadizajy

Nov 9, 2015
Point Cook
We had a van parked next to us at Xmas and they had a steel frame made up that was welded to the A frame behind the gas bottles with a fold down bike rack attached. Unfortunately didn't get to take pix as it was raining when we were packing up (after 12 days of no rain!!)

There was another post on the forum a last year where someone had a Faima bike racks bolted to the hard cover on the front and back of the van. Not sure how that worked and how they had it fixed to the fibreglass as it would need to be supported pretty well. Thought that was a great idea as we only take 2 kids 20" bikes and scooters so not the weight of the adult bikes.

@spiderpig's suggestion of loading the van differently for more weight is ok, and I am sure someone will correct me, but the issue would be more with the added length of the van affecting the way it sits on the road, plus the bouncing of the bikes.

iadizajy

Nov 9, 2015
Point Cook
It is interesting looking at the demo. Weight above the axles no problem, but it is interesting the way they set up the load. A lot heavier at the back, and the front weight centre is not equal to the rear. Will certainly add to the sway affect. Good example of the though.

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
Hmmm our 14.44 OB has a fiamma bike rack on the back with 2 full size adult bikes on it, did a 1800k round trip couple of weeks ago and didn't notice any sway at all.

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
I have just had this issue with my trip
Started with bikes inside and ended up with them on the drawbar tied down.
A mate has a bike rack that looks the ducks nutz (but a bit pricey)
http://www.isi-carriers.com/index.html

He has it on the back of a off road camper and has been around Aust in some horrible terrain and it still looks great.
slots into a normal hitch and folds down while holding the bikes.
I might be putting one on the back of my Expanda.

Reactions: Smirke and bigcol

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
A couple of options I've used.
The roof one gets my vote now.

20151030_150837_1.jpg

62ADBB51-912C-426D-93D5-1F758E7F1E2E-6869-0000157F66937614.jpg

iadizajy

Nov 9, 2015
Point Cook
Finally found the pix I had saved to my computer that one of the other members had done with their bike racks as it looked like they had a few bikes they travelled with. Great idea, but the only thing not sure and I did ask but didn't get a reply was to how they fixed the rack to the fibreglass lid.

Attachments

• 20150922_070712-jpeg.jpg
    20150922_070712-jpeg.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 219
  • 20150922_070427-jpeg.jpg
    20150922_070427-jpeg.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 226
Reactions: bigcol

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
I would say they made some kind of bracket/brace (whatever you call it) to go on the inside of the lid to spread the load out. Like what we did when we mounted our tv onto the side of the pantry, just a lot larger.

Reactions: bigcol and iadizajy

iadizajy

Nov 9, 2015
Point Cook
I would say they made some kind of bracket/brace (whatever you call it) to go on the inside of the lid to spread the load out. Like what we did when we mounted our tv onto the side of the pantry, just a lot larger.
Yes the person who posted it had sold their van so not sure if they are still on the forum, so would have been interesting to see how it was mounted. Is easier than welding a bracket to the drawbar or mounting over the towball.

Reactions: bigcol and Smirke

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I have just had this issue with my trip
Started with bikes inside and ended up with them on the drawbar tied down.
A mate has a bike rack that looks the ducks nutz (but a bit pricey)
http://www.isi-carriers.com/index.html

He has it on the back of a off road camper and has been around Aust in some horrible terrain and it still looks great.
slots into a normal hitch and folds down while holding the bikes.
I might be putting one on the back of my Expanda.
My brother has one and its a great carrier for sure.