16' Series Where do you mount your Joolca HWS?

chris demetrious

Jul 12, 2016
Melbourne
Hi looking for a few options on where you mount your portable hot water service. I have a Joolca coming and will plumb it it with quick connects and bayonet so it puts hot water into the van and outside points. Also interested to see your outside shower tent options and placement,

Thanks in advance

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
Hey @chris demetrious our Joolca uses the draw bar mount. It's very solid. We have a dual ensuite tent from bcf and either have it at back of van or the off side. I have a hose ran under the van which I can plug into with the other end at the draw bar. This way I can either have shower at front of van if needed or a can tap into tank water via draw bar tap.

20160717_142356-01.jpeg

chris demetrious

Jul 12, 2016
Melbourne
Hey @chris demetrious our Joolca uses the draw bar mount. It's very solid. We have a dual ensuite tent from bcf and either have it at back of van or the off side. I have a hose ran under the van which I can plug into with the other end at the draw bar. This way I can either have shower at front of van if needed or a can tap into tank water via draw bar tap.

View attachment 44470
Looks good, I will have to mount on one of the sides as I have the beds at both ends. I think I will end up with the double tent too.

chris demetrious

Jul 12, 2016
Melbourne
Very easy to put up and you dont have to mess around with poles. A friend had the oztrail dbl ensuite and when he saw my joolca he sold his and bought one. Took me 1/4 of the time to put up.
Thanks @craggitt13 , I was looking at the oztrail (cause it cheaper) but I don't mind paying more if It works better. I didn't realise their was a functional difference.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Those shower tents are easy to put up but pigs to put away.

Don't lose the instructions and, if you want some real entertainment, search utube for "folding up shower tent".

We resorted to utube when we had one and it travelled most of the time flat, not stowed, as we lost the instructions and couldn't get utube....then, when we did, we rolled around laughing!

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Those shower tents are easy to put up but pigs to put away.

Don't lose the instructions and, if you want some real entertainment, search utube for "folding up shower tent".

We resorted to utube when we had one and it travelled most of the time flat, not stowed, as we lost the instructions and couldn't get utube....then, when we did, we rolled around laughing!
I now get @mrsmfexpanda to fold ours as I was hopeless

craggitt13

Aug 5, 2016
Ipswich QLD
Yeah i was looking at the cheaper options. We have one of those oztrail single ensuite spring tents, its an absolute pain in the butt to pack up. Then i looked at the double ensuite where u have to put it all together, and like i said i watched my friends put it up. Then i watched the video on the joolca and i said to the other half thats what we are getting, easy to put up and easy to pull down.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Bloody hell!!

That's a major major improvement on the springy ones.....so it's a real option instead of a punishment.

But not as entertaining.

I might watch the utube contributions for old times sake.

:boxing-25:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
:focus:

I can't help with suggestions.

But I have to say that I have major reservations about mounting anything bulky, weighty etc outside the van itself.

If you intend to do a lot of travelling, as opposed to finding a spot and staying for an extended period, then the effect of something mounted outside the van has to affect the balance of the van and the sway effect.

Don't want to detract from the unit itself but a van is designed and intended to travel and something mounted outside will impact.

I'd be interested to hear your decisions...so good luck with it.

chris demetrious

Jul 12, 2016
Melbourne
@Dobbie, I am looking more for a quick mount system, than a permanent mount. Although if I found the right spot would leave it mounted.

With the bed ends so low on the Expanda, it rules out the ends so it's probably one side or the other. I was thinking about a bracket that the unit hangs from on off side ( non door side) and then quick connect fittings for the water and bayonet for gas that can just clip on.

Or maybe a swing out arm on the rear bar that will hold it while travelling, then swing around to the side when opening the bed ends?

The fabrication is not an issue for me, was more chasing a lazy solution to the design part! Lol

Reactions: dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Just tried to check model of van and vehicle but couldn't tell.

Re side mounting...not really an option as you'd probably exceed legal width of van. It's probably already fat enough....unless you mount it underneath which is not a good idea for clearance and safety. Are you looking at hooking up gas permanently?

Only choices would seem to be rear bar ( as in the photo earlier in this thread) or the draw bar, as some others have done.

Unless you have a ute with plenty of space but you'd need water!

I'd go for the rear bar, reluctantly, and make it a temporary fit.

A question as to how they work...what's wrong with it on the rear bar and the tent set up next to the rear bed? Either side? I assume the unit doesn't go in the tent but the hose does? Is it long enough?

Reactions: chris demetrious

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
While our van doesn't have a rear bed I'm sure you would have enough room even with a rear bed to fit it on the draw bar. You might need to mount it so its inline with the bottom of the rear bar not on top as in the picture.

As @Dobbie said it's not ideal to mount things outside but even if you bolted 10 of these to the rear bar it would still be lighter then one bike so I don't thinks it a problem weight wise. Otherwise you would need to get fancy with something swinging out but I'd take some measurements first and see how much room you do have with the bed folded down and I'm sure it will fit.

Reactions: chris demetrious

chris demetrious

Jul 12, 2016
Melbourne
Thanks for the responses guys. We have a 2004 softlid outback. Layout is same as a more modern 16.49....

There is definatly not enough room to mount under the bed ends and maintain the 1m clearance required above the unit when operating. Beds might get a bit warm.....lol. Also not the best for carbon monoxide.

By the look of it it would easily fit in a Jerry can holder.

At this stage i think a slim bracket on the offside to hang the unit and remove when travelling or a swing arm mounted off the rear bar is looking like the winner. We are going away in sept for a week so I will take it with me and trial some temporary locations before I settle on the solution.

Will do pics once sorted!

Also will order the ensuite tent for sure.

Thanks again to all those who responded

Chris

Reactions: DWWood and JT76