What do you do with your four legged friends?

darcy305

Jul 24, 2011
Meadow Heights
Hi all,

Just wondering what you guys do with your dogs when you go on holidays. We are off for 10 days over the Christmas/new year break we usually put them in to a local boarding kennels but at 20 per night per dog its nearly as expensive as our site costs we are located in the northern suburbs of Melbourne any ideas would be great.

Cheers
Danny

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
Yea great thread idea mate! We have 4 dogs, 4 horses, 2 cats and a mob of sheep, so the boarding kennels basically come to us ;)

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
G'day Danny , we do the kennel thing as well but often the inlaws take the dog and cat when they can. We have taken the dog with us but it is a bit restrictive as we don't leave the dog at the van.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
We went away last weekend and it cost us more at the kennel than the van park. $128 at kennel $120 ensuite site for three nights! So I feel your pain.

Last edited:

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
If you can get $20 a night for your dog and actually have a vacancy at the kennel for that time of year I would be all over that. That is a pretty good price for then. My dogs kennel is dearer than our caravan site sometimes but what do you do! I see it as a health resort for my dog, always comes back looking better than when she went in and she always gets a bath.

Ps for all those looking at putting dogs in kennel over that period, any good kennel will want an up to date vaccination card so dont leave it until the last minute because if they are not up to date it can cost you even more.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
We are lucky in that the people who groom our schnauzers love the dogs. So the dogs also go on hols over to their place. Costs $15 a night.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
We try to take our Jack wherever we can or occasionally leave him home and the neighbours will look after him, if they are not coming with us, otherwise he gets a holiday at my Wife's Parents place, but when that happens he usually comes home severely spoilt rotten and, if he wore them, two pant sizes larger!

Reactions: Wanda and jacbaz

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
We try to take our Jack wherever we can or occasionally leave him home and the neighbours will look after him, if they are not coming with us, otherwise he gets a holiday at my Wife's Parents place, but when that happens he usually comes home severely spoilt rotten and, if he wore them, two pant sizes larger!
What is it with the inlaws? Our staffy has trouble telling grandma and grandpa she doesn`t want the piece of toast with vegemite on it after she has already had her brekky???

Reactions: jacbaz

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
We always try to go to pet friendly parks so Max the dog comes with us, then mum or neighbors feed the cat.

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
Wife has 3 cats so I made my own baording kennel.
Put up a catnet shade room off side of garage and had a cat door put in door.

When we are away they have the run of oustide in the netting and the whole garage inside which we set up for them.
Neighbours comes over and tend to them twice a day for us, very lucky!
catnet.jpg

@nnie

Aug 17, 2013
Brisbane
@hamish22 , just love your cat run. We have 2 cats, and when we go away, I use petsitters who feed our cats and clean the litter. (They are indoor cats). I've used them for about 2 years now, and the cats just love all the attention. It costs $25 a day, so that's not too bad.

Reactions: hamish22

roscoe

Mar 12, 2013
@hamish22 , just love your cat run. We have 2 cats, and when we go away, I use petsitters who feed our cats and clean the litter. (They are indoor cats). I've used them for about 2 years now, and the cats just love all the attention. It costs $25 a day, so that's not too bad.

Hamish22 is 'petsitters' the actual name? while I'm lucky and have good neiboroughs too it is a big ask of them sometimes. anyone recommend any in-house sitters? ours are dogs by the way.

@nnie

Aug 17, 2013
Brisbane
@roscoe, yes, "petsitters" is what they call themselves. You can google petsitters or dog walkers, and they also advertise in the local paper. When you have dogs, they actually take your dogs for a walk if you prefer that, they bring in the bins, water some plants and collect the mail every day. I think it is a brilliant service, very happy with our Petsitters.

Rhett

Nov 1, 2013
Another option (probably for longer stays) is a house sitter. My mother did this when she travelled around Australia i.e. house sitting).

It gave her somewhere to stay besides van parks from time to time and she loves animals, so the owners always loved it when they came back to freshly washed happy, healthy pets with bows in their hair (yes even the staffys).

Also meant someone kept an eye on the house as well.

There are a bunch of house sitting clubs and services on the net, as long as you can handle the though of someone at your place for a few days, then just make sure you screen them well and pick someome with a good rating/rep and viola, free pet sitters!

Mum loved it, she stayed in some mansions and great spots all over oz, and still gets invited back for holidays all over the country even though she's now finished her tour! People often fly her in as it's cheaper than a kennel!

Just another option if your not precious about you castle, but you are about your pets.

Cheers Rhetty

borstalboy

Apr 17, 2012
Northern Subs SA
We take our Dog with us and either free camp or stay at pet friendly parks. Our last trip along the Murray we were gone for two weeks. At the times we needed our dog looked after I simply called the local vet and asked about kennels then called and arrange for dog day care.
River Ramble 2013 307.JPG

Reactions: Billrw136

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
We're away and the in laws are looking after our menagerie, but my blue heeler pup is sick and has been at the vets for 3 days now! Hope he gets better, but jeez I'm not looking forward to the bill! Maybe he should have came true on his name ;D trigger! Just kidding, I love my little mate.