Webber v's Gasmate - etc

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
okies, I am curious, is there much of a muchness between the Webber's and the Gasmate BBQ's?

my missus prefers a flat plate (not a grill) and as I am about to spend some hard earned coin,

what is the recommendation from the people who use them with their Vans?

cheers

Reactions: CJ1177

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Bigcol, webber definitely. You can roast, bake bread, cakes and BBQ on webber. A flat grill won't give you that. Check out cooks page on here and see what people make with baby Q.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Gas mate for me, have cooked roasts and baked cakes in it without issue, also fits inside front boot of 16.49-3. Webber was overpriced and too small, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: CJ1177

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@crackacoldie I know what you mean, nearly $150 difference in price
@Jennymay I have a Cast Iron oven thingy for doing roast's
mainly wanting it, as we have the old old round BBQ with 2Kg gas bottle, 3 eggs and 2 slices of bacon and its full.....

and thats why the thread -
what is user friendly?
what is easy setup and storage?

cant find ANY pictures of a Webber plate - but as said, neither of us like the grill type plates - so you have to spend more....????

I dont mind spending money, just only like to spend it once.

cheers

shiraz

Oct 22, 2012
sellicks hill s.a
bigcol

Hi We had a small weber gas bbq we used it a lot in our campervan, went to get parts for it and were told they stopped making them in 2000, so we bought high lid baby q about 18months ago,
wife cant remember when she used the oven in the house last, only down side I get to cook the meat small bbq plate stops eggs from slipping through the grill, mental note must try cooking eggs in muffin tray.
Seriously which ever one fits in van best and you will use is the one to buy.

regards Shiraz

Reactions: bigcol

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Had a gasmate oven BBQ came with our first van. Hot plate cooking was okay but for roasts it was sh1t. Took it to high country and as the temp dropped in the evening the sheet metal hood lost too much temp . Sold it and bought a baby q never looked back

Reactions: blacky

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
We bought a Weber Q220 (and accessories flat plate) specifically for the Expanda without even having an Expanda and after many years of flat plate cooking.
So far loving the Weber, but it hasn't replaced the full size flat/grill/roast/rotisserie BBQ at home.
Personally I think the Baby Q is too small for flat plate cooking - would be good for a couple of quail eggs and teacup pig bacon rashes though:)
Only issue with the Q220 is storage, so it will be living in the aluminium box on the front.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Baby Q for us, but only 3 of us, though have cooked for 6 on it,
carry it in side hatch (without lid) where slide out BBQ would normal go.

jacbaz

Feb 6, 2011
Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne
High lid Baby q for us in the van, we bought the flat plate for it but have never used it - I found the heavy duty bbq sheets on eBay and we use this for eggs and bacon, anything marinated etc. We love the versatility of the weber so much, we ditched the big bbq at home and got the family q. Use it pretty well every day!

Reactions: Xpandafan
Aug 29, 2013
Warradale SA
We've got the weber baby q 100e which has the high lid and love it, had nice big eye fillets and come out superb. I can see us getting a Family q for the outdoor kitchen this year.

Gavin

Joanne

Dec 10, 2013
Adelaide
Yes Baby weber Q for us as well. We use ours at home and also whilst away. In fact this week I have used it every night and tonight will be cooking a lamb roast in it. With Adelaide's temperature this week in the 40's it is very handy to use outside and not have to use the oven inside. Last night I even used it to heat up some home made sausage rolls. I also use the BBQ sheets for anything marinade and also bacon and eggs. I have also used it to cook pineapple rings on the BBQ sheet when we were cooking for 18 the other night (make your own hamburgers on the big old BBQ) and there was not enough room for the pineapple so I used the Weber. I would not do without it. Cooked a quiche in it 2 weeks ago instead of inside as well!! Love it :)

My 22 year old son has just rang me and asked to take ours away with him for 5 nights whilst he is camping!!! No bl**dy way!!

Last edited:

hardexpanda

Oct 30, 2013
Happy Valley SA
Another vote for the Weber Baby Q. Ours travels in the toolbox on the A-frame and is used for most of our cooking when caravanning. Everything from bacon and eggs to roasts and pizzas. Wouldn't be without it.;)

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Weber 220 here as well.It goes from the pergola to the back of the ute to the campsite and vice versa. We love it.

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Another Weber convert here after many years on the traditional 4 burner. I bought weber Q/220 for the van but was too big for my needs (2 adults and 2 kidlets), got sick of the extra size and weight (with accessories) to cart around too, so put that on the back patio and got a baby Q for the panda. Love it for roasts and everything thing else (get the hot plate for bacon and eggs). Toasting bread on the weber is great too when free camping.

Keep in mind some portable bbq's have a built gas regulator (i.e. the Gas Mate Adventurer) which means they won't work properly off the van's LPG bayonet supply which is already regulated – generally avoid any portable BBQ that can run of a disposable gas canisters...

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Weber Baby Q for us (only 2 of us). It travels in the back of he ute and comes out to sit on the stand mounted in a jockey wheel holder. Our van has no front bed.
weber stand 3.jpg

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
We have a gasmate & are very happy with it, although with all this talk over time of people raving about their webber Q has us considering changing over
I purchased the bits to by pass the BBQ regulator & run off the bayonet, it works quite well & acceptable, admittedly the max temp is a little lower & takes a little longer to get up to temp but in saying that I still have it turned down from the max temp any way. You can still have it on a low temp you just don't get the full range out of the dial before the gas goes out