Just Browsing Water pipes

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
So had an issue last trip up north off grid with one of my tanks not feeding right, and we’re just about to head down to Lucky Bay for 2 weeks off grid. So I decided to replace the entire water system of my 2011 17:56.

Oh my goodness. I wish I’d taken some photos of the old pipes but I was sooo horrified i just binned them immediately. All the feed and flow pipes from my tanks were black, full of green gunk and disgusting. And I clean my system out regularly with tank clean. Obviously does nothing for the pipes.

Replaced the pump with a new 4009 and got rid of the suction tap and fixed up the John guest lines. Added a 3rd water tank and got rid of the crappy 3 way selector jayco uses and instead have just single shut off valves for each tank.

Now it’s like a new beast, and definitely healthier!!.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Good work. Its amazing how a bored dude at home with some free time can achieve a higher quality standard than the design experts and plumbing genius's of the gazzilion $$$ Jayco juggernaut and its 1200 strong workforce.

I replumbed mine with inch black garden poly pipe, no clips or hose clamps, just cheap barbed connectors. Very easy, fast and cheap swap out .... our final few hours heading home on this trip will be with Milton bouncing about in a plugged up and charged plumbing system

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Whatever you do @Brougham dont look inside your house water lines or you will need council to digup the street......I have drinking grade hose from my tanks they sem to stay good though the fill pipes either clear or black get a little bit icky..Find less muck leaving system full.

Reactions: Marv_mart

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Good work. Its amazing how a bored dude at home with some free time can achieve a higher quality standard than the design experts and plumbing genius's of the gazzilion $$$ Jayco juggernaut and its 1200 strong workforce.

I replumbed mine with inch black garden poly pipe, no clips or hose clamps, just cheap barbed connectors. Very easy, fast and cheap swap out .... our final few hours heading home on this trip will be with Milton bouncing about in a plugged up and charged plumbing systemmuch Milton per tank do you use
How much Milton do you put in each tank there @Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
How much Milton do you put in each tank there @Crusty181
This has been on my radar for a few years, but this is my first rodeo. The propaganda says
  • Expertly developed to sterilise baby items in only 15 minutes
  • Use only 1 capful (30 ml) for 4L
  • Hospital grade disinfectant
  • Used by parents and midwives for over 70 years
  • Kill 99.9% of germs
  • No need to rinse
  • Solution works for 24 hours
  • Use to sterilise all breastfeeding equipment and baby feeding accessories : breast pump parts, baby bottles, soothers, teething rings, small plastic toys, plastic cutlery, weaning bowls
So ill drop a $7 500ml supermarket bottle in each tank, run it thru the entire system via the pump and then top up the tanks to overflowing. I suspect the last 3 or 4 hour drive home will be overkill. From the instructions you dont have to rinse .... but i probably will

Reactions: Marv_mart and MDS69

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
every 6 months I put about a half cup of cheap bleach into each half filled tank, fill tanks to the top to stir, run all the cold taps with the pump on until I smell bleach/chlorine, leave it overnight, drain and refill....and flush the cold taps of residual

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That would work to kill any microprobes but they would still come back as the water from town supply or tank is full of them...............

Also looked at Milton they say 30ml for 4lts so that works out as 5lt 525ml for a 70lt water tank....................... in fact use of bleach is good but the mix has to be correct, to much will corrode stuff and not enough well doesn't do the job, if I recall its something like 100ml to a Lt of water, using a no name bleach as they don't contain extra stuff, this is supposed to kill the bugs not just stun and do a Michael Jackson on them................ I would only let it sit for about 3 hrs then flush, in fact drain half , refill with water then drain the lot............... leaving the mixture in a HWS for example would not be a good idea................
@Crusty181 's idea of given the tanks a dose on the way home is a great idea, a bit of agitation would make it all work better.............. Thats why our ancestors drank Beer because water killed them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crusty181

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
Usually town water has a tiny amount of chlorine left in it by the time it reaches your house. There is a bit of science and guesswork involved in calculating the amount injected at the various dosing points to disinfect the supply while leaving zilch when you turn on the tap. Chlorine naturally decays over time and when in contact with bugs etc so a dose in the tanks (bleach, chlorine, Hydrogen peroxide) should be fine. I don't run it through the HWS (by running hot taps) because the heat will kill many bugs and I don't drink from HWS tanks if I can help it :o

I would use 1ml per litre but you could always use a pool test kit on a tap to ensure a residual amount is still showing up after a few hours - that is the most reliable method

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Flush the toilet early morning in Toowoomba and you think your in a swimming pool....really strong pong....Im going on what I found out over many years of brewing stuff and how to kill the beasties....

Reactions: jazzeddie1234

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
Milton is 1% sodium hypochlorite or about 1/10 of regular bleach which explains the 30ml vs 3ml dosing. My bargain hunting was ruined when I learned how to read safety data sheets....You will find me in the cleaning isle comparing active ingredients by cost....#INeedABetterHobby

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Sorry Mike, but its exactly 500ml for every size tank, because 500ml is the size it comes in :)
Hi,
I believe you missed the original post which @Drover suggested that 5l was needed. After my post, he then edited his post and changed 5l to read 500ml.
I was not nit picking whether it may be 500ml or 525, I was pointing out an arithmetic error by a factor of 10.

take care
Mike

• Haha
Reactions: Crusty181

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Hi,
I believe you missed the original post which @Drover suggested that 5l was needed. After my post, he then edited his post and changed 5l to read 500ml.
I was not nit picking whether it may be 500ml or 525, I was pointing out an arithmetic error by a factor of 10.

take care
Mike
:) :) :) ..... Fat thumbs , too many 0's or just can't read a calculator, I even thought that sounded a bit much but for some one who looked at a figure of 50m2 and saw 50m3, well anything is possible, especially as that was a $5,000 error..............:becky:

Reactions: mikerezny

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi,

take care
Mike
Just a comical (or not so much) reference to the typical supermarket supply size, and my reluctance to buy any more than I have to. :bounce:

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Just a comical (or not so much) reference to the typical supermarket supply size, and my reluctance to buy any more than I have to. :bounce:
Nahh, the marketing gurus, will have worked out that you actually need 525ml, so they deliberately down-sized the containers to 500ml so that people will have to buy two bottles instead of one.

The people selling nuts, bolts and washers have been doing that for years. The packs always have one less then you need.

take care
Mike

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Nahh, the marketing gurus, will have worked out that you actually need 525ml, so they deliberately down-sized the containers to 500ml so that people will have to buy two bottles instead of one.

The people selling nuts, bolts and washers have been doing that for years. The packs always have one less then you need.

take care
Mike
that happens to me with cartons of beer