Warning - 3 year old doing Jayco Wiring

Clayton

Jun 16, 2013
Hi all
Just been doing some mods and adding a few more power outlets 240v and 12v to the inside.
During the install I found some disgusting attempts of terminating 12v cables, which spurred me on to look deeper and found nearly every termination terrible. I re terminated nearly every connection going to the Setec unit and most 12v connections through out the van. The one in the picture I think was done by a 3 year old, and to be truthful my 4 year old under my supervision can make a better termination than this.

photo.JPG

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Unfortunately I'm not surprised, seen worse than that straight off the batteries......good thing you found it and had no issues! :)

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
Yep, I unplugged a couple out of my setec and left the terminal behind:frown:. I have since re-lugged them all now. One of the dramas is that Jayco are not using the proper crimpers that I use as a sparky. They are just using the cheap and nasty style that only crimp the lugs in one small spot.

Clayton

Jun 16, 2013
Brand new van, and yeah I have thought about passing the picks on. Gary from jayco is the warranty guru I have spoken to previous to by his issue, and can assure he would not be impressed with the job. I to am a sparky and use quality auto lug crimp tools that crimp perfect. I think I could get a better termination with my leathermans multitool

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
That is pretty standard wiring for all caravans manufacturers as i am a auto elec see it all the time they should invest in a soldering iron and solder every thing.

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
Is the electrical safety certificate supposed to cover the 12volt wiring also?

Nagh not required for the 12v side mate, just the 240v stuff. The guys that wire vans generally are not qualified and its all plug and play/DIY style stuff. But when it comes to the connection of the Saftey switch and testing of the installation, you need to be a sparkie.

My guess is that the wiring is done by the plebs on the line and a sparky does one final connection and test at the end.

A mate worked a a caravan/motorhome manufacturer in Brissy here and at that is what they did too

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Funny how many poor poor auto sparkies there are here, yep me to for 40+ years!! I am now an involved in manufacturing with a Chinese company (long story) and when I finally pull my finger out I will be chucking the Setec unit away also. On a side note re solder, aircraft only use crinp termination becaude the vibration over time can cause soldered joints to fracture.

However that being said, I would have kicked my apprentices butt if did any connection like the one pictured, and as brotys said, its not just Jayco either.

Clayton

Jun 16, 2013
wow and i thought some of my connections where bad, in that instance the should have just left the BP connectors off, especially if they are trying to save money.

Clayton

Jun 16, 2013
Has anyone seen this in response to the comment its across the board. This poor guys van had two external 240v points, one to liven the van the other to liven who ever touched it.

Sterlo1

Aug 27, 2012
Narellan Vale, NSW
The same 3 year old also did my radio antenna connection.
The wires were just twisted together and wrapped with tape.
This could be the cause of my reception problem when the lights are turned on ?

DSCF1170.JPG

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
What I hate about this is that the wiring for the brakes seems to be performed by the same person. You would expect a bit more care of the wiring in that area.