Van Weights - Confused!

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
I was looking at the compliance plate today.

Tare - 1967kg
GTM - 2267kg
ATM - 2442kg
Empty Ball Mass - 175kg
Max Ball Loading - 222kg

If I do the maths, I only have 300kg of "customer capacity": GTM - TARE = 300kg

Fill the 2 x 80lt water tanks and I am only left with 140kg for everything else.

However, reading the Specs on the Jayco website, the 17.56-2 OB has tandem axel and internal shower allowing 475kg of customer water, food, clothes, etc.

How is the empty ball weight considered customer individual weight?

From Jayco's website.....

Jayco allow an amount of additional weight (Carrying Load) for each individual unit manufactured above the initial manufactured tare weight of the unit. This Carrying Load is for the customers individual weight requirements and can be made up of any additional weight they propose to load the unit of. ie: water, food, clothes etc.

The minimum standard carrying loads Jayco apply are:
Single Axle, non internal shower units 300kg
Single Axle, internal shower units 375kg
Tandem Axle, non shower units 400kg
Tandem Axle, Internal shower units 475kg

Is my compliance plate wrong?

Are we being short changed?

Should the Weights not be
Tare - 1967kg
GTM - 2442kg (1967 + 475)
ATM - 2617kg (2442 + 175)

Cheers,

Rohan

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
ATM = TARE + Carry Load

1967kg + 475kg = 2442kg

ATM and GTM

The maximum weight of a trailer is specified as either its Aggregate Trailer Mass (ATM) or Gross Trailer Mass (GTM).
ATM is the combined weight of the trailer and its full load when it is not coupled to a tow vehicle. GTM is the weight of the fully loaded trailer that is imposed on the trailer’s axle when it is coupled to the tow vehicle. GTM will always be less than ATM as some of the trailer weight is transferred to the tow vehicle when the trailer is coupled to it.
All new trailers built since August 1989 are required to have a plate listing, amongst other things, the trailers Aggregate Trailer Mass, although some trailer plates will also show its Tare Weight (the unladen weight of the trailer) and its GTM.
You must ensure the towing vehicle has sufficient capacity to tow the trailer when it is fully laden.

Trailer Ball Load

Ball Load is the amount of weight the fully laden trailer imposes (vertically) on the tow bar of the tow vehicle.
There is no requirement to list Ball Load on the trailer’s plate, however if the plate lists the trailer’s Gross Trailer Mass (GTM), the difference between the ATM and GTM will be its Ball Load.
Ball Load, like other towing specifications, must not be exceeded.
Ball Load is not usually a critical issue with small trailers unless the tow vehicle has a low Ball Load specification, as is the case with many small cars and some European vehicles. However heavy trailers such as horse floats and caravans often impose quite high Ball Loads on the tow vehicle.
Ball Load is a function of the trailer’s axle position and the manner in which the trailer is loaded.
Ball Load can be measured at a weighbridge by disconnecting the fully laden trailer from the tow vehicle and resting only the trailer’s draw bar (via the jockey wheel) on the scales, or with special ball mass scales.
Ball Load is often around 10% of the trailers ATM however this should not be relied on for every trailer. Where no reliable information is available, the fully laden trailer must be weighed to determine this specification.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Opps - looks like I missed one critical factor - Thanks guys!!

Just worked out the extra info after I posted and went back over it again!

Feeling a bit stupid right now :mad2:

Where is the delete thread button?

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Hope this isnt hijacking your thread but along the same lines,
My new Dicovery is.
Tare 1532
GTM 1781
ATM 1907
That give 375 to carry
On the plate is the ball weight at Tare of 126
and also a max ball weight of 164, so with this figure how do you end up with 10% on the ball or approx 190kg