Ute Drawers

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Mrs CR says as long as you put a red rose on top, you will be OK. :D
I once emailed a couple of pictures to my wife for St Valentines Day to her work email address. She had to scroll down to see each one separately. She had someone there looking at the screen while she did it.
Get your minds out of the gutter people and read on.
We had Roses in the garden in those days and I hated them for the thorns.
The first picture was of a single red Rose and her workmate said "That's not Phil".
They then scrolled down to the second picture that was labelled "The cure".
It was a can of Roundup.
Her workmate said "That's Phil.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Ok got some spare time this weekend so decided to finish these things off. The carpet colour doesn't match but you have got to work with what you have and i hear two tone is going to be the big thing this season :) . Apart from that the rest went together ok and just a bit of tidying up to do on the electrics but that can wait for now.

Thar she blows in all her two tone splendor

back.jpg

Out they come to get at the goodies

backout.jpg

great flat area to put things on

inside.jpg

Fridge sits on ok, not a lot of room to spare

slide.jpg

Anderson , usb and power sockets on the left

lhpanel.jpg

Power socket and switches on the right

rightpanel.jpg

All in all very pleased with the end result. for the price these drawers seem to be good value

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Looks great.

Any idea of the weight? Only asking because we were checking out something similar for our (since sold) Navara and were surprised by the weight of the drawers on their own.

They will certainly sort out the conglomeration of stuff we tend to carry.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Have just about completed my drawers. Just have to add some power outlets above the Ctek unit then start to put my tools etc into the longer drawer. The shorter drawer under the fridge slide will house our smoko bits, thermos, coffee and the like plus our first aid kit and anything else we think we need. The cavity behind the short drawer will be used for my compressor, snatch strap and tow rope plus other gear not used often.
DSC_9758.JPG DSC_9757.JPG DSC_9759.JPG DSC_9761.JPG

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Great work @chartrock and all in the same colour too. How long did it take to build from scratch.
Mate you don't really want to know. :oops: But I'll tell you anyway. :D I actually started about the end of November but wrong runners delivered then found that the 1200mm runners cannot be fitted with the drawer out of the cabinet meant trying to fit it in the frame before fitting to the truck then pulling it apart to fit the frame in then refit the drawer. So many things went wrong I chucked a wobbly a week or so before Christmas and put it away planning to get back to it in the new year. New year came and daughter needed a car upgrade so spent a couple of weeks reading ads and visiting car yards and private sales. Eventually settled on a 2008 Nissan X-Trail after which she decided she needed a bluetooth and reverse camera so a JVC double din radio was purchased and fitted but the reverse camera has proved to be a problem. It's working but it wont come on automatically with reverse so many hours spent looking for a reverse switch.

I finally got back to the drawers a week or so back. Anyway, happy with the result. Cost would be around $500, the main cost was the 1200 mm runners at $195 with the aluminium for the frame around $80. Ply and special carpet another $100. Screws and glue and other incidentals account for the rest;

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Think you should have a beer after all that. Do you run a fridge in the back? If so how long do you get on the battery without charging
Shane, I wish I could answer that but we have not taken a fridge in the truck since we did WA in 2011. Elaine reckons we don't need a second fridge (especially now with the 150 L fridge) as we are never far from shops on most of our trips and we should support the locals when we are in their town. I don't need a fridge for beer or wine as we don't drink so we just have 4 cans of soft drink in the main fridge and when we take two out we just replace them. Always have a cold one ready. :D Anyway, I am a coffee addict.

We have two portable fridges, a 40 L Waeco and a 40 L 3 way we bought from Aldi 4-5 years ago which is what we take if free camping as we can use it on gas. From memory the Waeco would shut off when voltage dropped below about 11.5 V and would not generally run all night.

Reactions: bigcol

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Thanks Paul. We are at a bit of a crossroads at the moment. We are over taking two vehicles when we need to take the boat so am trying to setup the collie for short stays at the dam. Am looking at either a black wolf turbo or a oz tent rv5 tent. Yes I know I never thought I would be back into tents but you have to roll with the times I guess. So we will be using the 65ltr fridge as our main when we are away wakeboarding.

Reactions: chartrock