Ute Drawers

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Picked up a set of drawers for the back of the colorado on Saturday. They are a universal type from the 4wdSupacentre and for the price (around the $800 mark) I think they will be quite good. While I was fitting them I also fitted a factory reversing camera as well.

At 1.3m long they are a bit shorter than the custom ones I have been looking at but have been quoted anywhere from $1600 to over $2500 for a custom fit. No side wings are supplied with the ute drawers so it looks like I will be spending next weekend on that.

The top part of the left hand side also is a fridge slide, it's not a drop down type but still will be handy.

draw.jpg

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
They look to be good value but I wondered why they are fitted with the space at the back rather than the front?

It could be awkward getting stuff in and out of the space.

In our case, we have a space in front of the drawers and it's easy to shove things like jockey wheels and power cables in there.

I'm sure there's a reason ..... Just wondering.

Fabulous

Feb 26, 2013
Melbourne
Looks good,

If it was me, I'd rather the draws further forward (with the space at the back) so you access them without having to move things all the time, also not sure how far out the fridge slide would come out.

Just my thoughts

Reactions: achjimmy

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Yes just a matter of personal preference i think.

I will have my 65ltr waeco fridge on the slide so want it to come out as far as possible for access. Also as @Fabulous has said I want to keep the area in front of the drawers clear so I don't have to move things to slide them out.

I will store seldom used items like spare parts etc that come under the "in case of emergency break glass" section in that space behind the drawers. (and try not to swear too much when the time comes to get them out) :)

I am picking up the battery box today for the second battery $20 at BCF which is about as cheap as i can find for a large battery box. I intend to install it without the lid and with a bit of squeezing hope to fit it under the side wing on the right hand side. That will leave me a nice flat area to place things on.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Sounds reasonable.

I guess my thinking was affected by the fact that our ute...when we had it...had a canopy so trying to get stuff out of the centre was a pain. I don't fit through small flat holes.

Just for interest sake, when we had the ute and needed to carry more tent poles they fitted easily on one of the side wings and never moved when strapped down. Extra tie down points were easy to add to the drawer system so odd shaped stuff could be secure and still access the drawers.

Amazing how easy it is to fill those drawers!

Reactions: boots33

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Yes Paul i feel for you doing a complete build. After just mounting the drawers on Saturday I was a dripping mess. The current heat/humidity combination is a real distraction when working outdoors.
Yeah, I back the truck down in front of the the shed to work in the back of it or in the shed, the sun is beating in from about 10:00 am and I am in a lather of sweat. I find I give up by about 3:00, have a coffee then a "poppy nap". :bolt:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Go for it!

I totally agree that someone has to be responsible for this current unbearable humidity.

I just want to put a contract out on whoever it is....I've had enough!

Roll on winter.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Nice work @boots33... been thinking about the draw solution for the Colorado myself, particularly talking to @17triton

In terms of the space, I'm actually thinking/looking at perhaps putting a bladder(s) at the back which could be used as light weight water/diesel storage for longer trips. Secure, easy to fit around draws and under wings and accessible through hoses mounted near the canopy window... Just a thought at the moment as I try and work out the best way to carry some extra fuel (for both the car and the humans).

Reactions: bigcol

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Yeah, they have blocked part of the road just north from the estate while they put a large box into a pit beside the road. We may see something late in the year. :barbershop_quartet_member:

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
"a bladder(s) at the back which could be used as light weight water/diesel storage for longer trips"
"hadn't looked at bladders though"

Word of warning: FUEL CARRIED IN A STORAGE AREA MUST BE IN BUNDED CONTAINERS

In other words, bladders are fine as long as they contained in something that will prevent fuel spill outside the vehicle should they fail.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
"a bladder(s) at the back which could be used as light weight water/diesel storage for longer trips"
"hadn't looked at bladders though"

Word of warning: FUEL CARRIED IN A STORAGE AREA MUST BE IN BUNDED CONTAINERS

In other words, bladders are fine as long as they contained in something that will prevent fuel spill outside the vehicle should they fail.

Yeah I was thinking of boxing it in, and it shouldn't be too hard to convert that into a reasonably water tight bund if required. Having said that, it's just an option at the moment. Trying to build more redundancy into the truck.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
OK spent a few hours today fitting the wings and battery box

the side wings have gone in without too much trouble.

draw1.jpg

It now gives me a nice flat area to place items on

draw2.jpg

I have managed to fit the battery box below the wings (minus the lid) so that leaves the whole top area flat for the payload.

batterycase.jpg

I have just used mdf and will see how it goes might have to switch to ply if it doesn't work out. will cover it with marine carpet tomorrow if i get the time.

And here is the reversing camera in all its glory. It is all plugged in and ready to go just have to wait for the next service so the Holden techs can activate it.

camera.jpg

Last edited: