17' Series Urgent help required. Annex wall issue

john hayward

Dec 31, 2012
Got to say i agree with all of above.

Just bought a 2 year old 17.56 that had only been used twice. when we put up the annexe (after we had paid for it) it didn't fit properly in that the door zipper at one end was approx 120m too short and obviously couldn't be joined. contacted kakadu annexes and arranged to visit them at their factory to see if we were doing it incorrectly.

they had the original order form and agreed that they had made the annexe to the wrong size and offered to fix it for free even though it was out of any warranty period, which i thought was more than reasonable.

whilst going though this process they advised that all annexes are measured individually when ordered which means that your problem appears to the fault of the dealer who ordered the annexe for you.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi TW, here is a pic of the 16 we used to have and as you can see the arm is at 90 deg or very close. I believe this bar should not angle down on pop tops as tall people like me could hit their head.

Picture 209.jpg Picture 397.jpg

I would do what Expanda has suggested as it's not your problem it's theirs and shouldn't have to accept modified walls. Its up to you but i'd be giving them the ultimatum as mentioned!

Cheers.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
I would also do what Expanda has suggested, I would also follow up the request in writing and mention in that letter that you will be contacting Consumer Affairs if the annexe is not replaced. At the end of the day, you have forked out your hard earned cash for a product that is not "fit for purpose". If the annexe is not replaced, then you have evidence to go to Consumer Affairs. Ultimately it is the sellers resposnibility, by law, to sell something that is "Fit for purpose", that being it should work exactly as it is supposed to and fit exactly as it is supposed to, because somewhere along the line the seller, or their agent, have made a mistake is not your fault.

Cheers

Cracka

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I still have 2 walls I haven't fitted since we picked up the 18 in September, going away this weekend.....best I check! I think everyone assumes the wall are right which is a fair call, but how many for sale adds do you see that says "annexe never used".

Oct 13, 2012
Does anyone own a 17.56 1 or 2 that can measure from the level ground to the sail track on the awning on the long wall side when it is at the "correct" setup height? I would be very interested to hear the result. Also, for all others, getting annexe walls remade and longer to raise setup height. Will be checking again before taking away and if still not right will be asking for our money back. Jayco have flat out refused to make the horizontal arm completely straight sighting the reason as wind could get under it or water would pool and it could rip as the runoff wouldn't be enough which again I believe again is rubbish. So we will see how we go when they are remade by next week!

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
Keep fighting the rotten bu----rs.
You should not be forced to accept a patched up annex. Trust me every time you walk back to your van you will look at the annex walls and know it's not right.
My dealer in Bundaberg insisted that the annex be set up completly in the yard before the van was allowed to leave as they would not accept anything less than 100% customer satisfaction with the van and any extra's fitted. Other than one wheel centre cap falling off I have had no issues at all with our van.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Does anyone own a 17.56 1 or 2 that can measure from the level ground to the sail track on the awning on the long wall side when it is at the "correct" setup height? I would be very interested to hear the result. Also, for all others, getting annexe walls remade and longer to raise setup height. Will be checking again before taking away and if still not right will be asking for our money back. Jayco have flat out refused to make the horizontal arm completely straight sighting the reason as wind could get under it or water would pool and it could rip as the runoff wouldn't be enough which again I believe again is rubbish. So we will see how we go when they are remade by next week!

I don't understand what Jayco mean, the awning comes off the pop top so when the arms are at 90 deg you will still have heaps of run off, about 400mm (pop top height) over the 2.1m that the awning extends, at least that's how mine is in the pics above. As for wind, use ropes. Show them my pics if you want, the annexe was made by prestige Jayco in Geelong.

Oct 13, 2012
Burnsy, in your second picture what is the measurement of your upright adjustable poles from top to bottom? This is the measurement they have the issue with.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I don't have this van anymore, however it should measure the same as the distance from the ground to where the arms attach to the side of your van. Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Oct 13, 2012
Thanks burnsy my thoughts exactly. Is there anyone on the forum that works for jayco at all or is aware of a "standard" setup for the expanda annexe? I am becoming more bemused by the minute of the excuses. One being because the wind may get up and fold the awning over the top of the caravan then you will blame us for this, that is fair enough and could happen if I don't tie it down and if it does happen, it would be a insurance claim not warranty.

jim74

Oct 23, 2012
port macquarie
i am a little confused, if you get a builder to build you a house and they paint it the wrong colour- they are at fault and should have to fix it at no cost to the client. if you are having an annex made, which they should all be customised to get the perfect fit - then you should receive what you paid for. the old saying in the retail industry is the customer is always right..and i know the feeling of the awning wrapped up over the top of the van...not nice but thank god for insurance.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I would have thought that the top and bottom edges of the annexe ends would be cut and sewn parallel. in which case the awning arm would have to be parallel to the ground or at 90 degrees to the side of the van.