Electrical Understanding Jayco Wiring!

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
All,
I'm sure many of you will already have worked on your 12v wiring but since the addition of ESC as standard is relatively recent, I thought I would post today's findings in case anyone else is interested.
Despite asking for a 7 pin large round plug as I had on my 2011 Swan (plus 3 other trailers) and Anderson plug for the fridge, it came with the standard 12 pin flat. I made a temporary 12 pin flat socket on a fly lead to collect the camper from the dealer it but wanted to see how feasible it is to switch back to a 7 pin plug.
Pins 1-7 in the 12 pin plug are fairly standard with pin 2 (reversing lights) used as the hot wire. This wire runs back through the chassis to the 'birds nest' of wires under the fridge area and slightly protected by a metal flap. Somewhere between the plug and this area, it appears to have been tapped into and also powers the charger for the brakeaway unit, and the ESC. I'm guessing at this stage, but suspect that it also runs, via the Setek, to the battery and also powers the on board 12v equipment should the caravan battery not be connected.
Pin 9 on the other side of the plug runs slightly heavier gauge wire directly to the fridge, with the corresponding negative from pin 10 to the fridge. Nothing else appears connected to these wires.
In conclusion, my main finding is that other than the fridge, everything else is powered from pin 2 and the earth from pin 3.
My plan at this stage is to disconnect pins 9 & 10 and wire the fridge via 50A Anderson plugs, using 6 B&S cable. Contemplating then reallocating the slightly heavier jayco fridge wiring that I will have disconnected to become the main hot wire. By using an Anderson plug, I have the option of using any type of 7 pin plug for the remainder of the wiring - the only issue will be how large a gauge of wire that I can terminate to the plug.
I'll post how I get on........

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 4,225
Reactions: Crusty181

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
I'm forming an opinion that there's no such thing as "Standard wiring". Might just spend a bit of time during the Wet Season making my own circuit diagram. As our van has that same "birds nest" it won't be fun.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I undone all the cable ties and braved the birds nest on the starcraft. It did make sense in the end, part of the problem is the looms are made up to suit everything from a 12ft van to there biggest I think! I have always run two separate Anderson feeds on our vans one for the fridge and one for the batteries. This time around I have left it standard for now. Jayco definetly use a heavier cable for the fridge now and the Thetford seems to manage okay with it, but I will separate it one day I think. In all the years of towing and travelling with my folks the number 1 issue with trailer plugs has always been the fridge drawer!