16' Series TV antenna plug

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone please tell me or show me what type of end I need on my antenna to connect to the one on the side of the van please as the normal type that plugs into the back of the TV doesn't seem to fit, also is it possible to change to a normal type somehow?

Thanks
Geoff
IMG20221114192615.jpg
IMG20221114192611.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Its just a normal female PAL TV plug, if its on the RH side of van its for an aerial without a booster, like at some van parks where you use an extension cable to plug into their system because no reception otherwise or you want to plug in a normal TV aerial ........... the plug connects to the wall plate assembly inside but no need to switch on the booster which would disrupt the signal.

You can find male and female plugs, patch leads to suit, there are even adaptors for some cables which have the same socket on each end, you can even find adaptors to go from the PAL plug to the F type plug which is the screw on type..... most DVD players have this plug to connect to TV's....

Bunnings/Mitre 10 have a whole nest of them...

Male plug.....
1668416788213.png
......................... Female plug.......
1668416828445.png
.. and where the cables have 2 male fittings, (most annoying) there is an adapter which neuters one of the male fittings ...
1668417356712.png
............. the screw on type is an F fitting...they also are male and female, no other Gender involved other than some can be called Bastud........... also a fitting that will take a PAL, one end and an F the other.......
1668417517600.png
... I just buy some fittings and 75ohm cable and make my own, its very simple to do..... cheaper and easier of you want to pull apart and swap a fitting.

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
Its just a normal female PAL TV plug, if its on the RH side of van its for an aerial without a booster, like at some van parks where you use an extension cable to plug into their system because no reception otherwise or you want to plug in a normal TV aerial ........... the plug connects to the wall plate assembly inside but no need to switch on the booster which would disrupt the signal.

You can find male and female plugs, patch leads to suit, there are even adaptors for some cables which have the same socket on each end, you can even find adaptors to go from the PAL plug to the F type plug which is the screw on type..... most DVD players have this plug to connect to TV's....

Bunnings/Mitre 10 have a whole nest of them...

Male plug..... View attachment 68707 ......................... Female plug.......View attachment 68708 .. and where the cables have 2 male fittings, (most annoying) there is an adapter which neuters one of the male fittings ...View attachment 68709............. the screw on type is an F fitting...they also are male and female, no other Gender involved other than some can be called Bastud........... also a fitting that will take a PAL, one end and an F the other.......View attachment 68710... I just buy some fittings and 75ohm cable and make my own, its very simple to do..... cheaper and easier of you want to pull apart and swap a fitting.

Thanks for the reply Drover.

Yeah mate it is on the right side of the van. So basically that connection is only useful for connecting to a caravan park antenna?

I have an amplified TV antenna that I bought from Jaycar, I don't think the amplifier on it is real crash hot I've never really been able to get a picture no matter where I've gone. I thought that connection would have been for the antenna on the van to plug into and then the signal would have come through into the inside antenna plug which would go straight into the TV inside. If I run the amplified signal straight to the TV inside I'll have to put the cord through a window or something I'd imagine.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you have an amplified antenna it may be that it is fitted with an amplifier but you must provide the power source, often come with a unit which is plugged into power point and your lead connects to it then another lead runs to TV, indoor amplified aerials are not suitable, try it plugged in with the wingard booster switch ON, it may supply the juice needed ............ The Wingard wall plate outlet in van is connected to it as well as roof antenna, the socket on the LH side of van (door side) is an outlet for an external TV.................. Its not uncommon for the cables to be loose on the inside of the wall plate, broken or on the wrong plugs..... Most van aerials don't have great range especially with UHF nowadays, must be pointed at the source accurately outside of 5km ....

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
If you have an amplified antenna it may be that it is fitted with an amplifier but you must provide the power source, often come with a unit which is plugged into power point and your lead connects to it then another lead runs to TV, indoor amplified aerials are not suitable, try it plugged in with the wingard booster switch ON, it may supply the juice needed ............ The Wingard wall plate outlet in van is connected to it as well as roof antenna, the socket on the LH side of van (door side) is an outlet for an external TV.................. Its not uncommon for the cables to be loose on the inside of the wall plate, broken or on the wrong plugs..... Most van aerials don't have great range especially with UHF nowadays, must be pointed at the source accurately outside of 5km ....

Thanks Drover but I don't have an antenna that came with the van I have an aftermarket one which I bout from Jaycar. I do need a power source for it which is either 240V or 12V

Mine is this one
Screenshot_2022-11-15-09-10-56-95_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
Looking at the ones you have posted of the female PAL TV plugs they all have a round pin whether it be female or male but looking at the picture of mine from underneath it is square... How ould they fit, could I change that plug to a normal every day coaxle plug that matches the round pin? I'm sure I could buy the plug from Jaycar or someone like that.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
This is just a plain old normal Clipsal 75 Ohm coax socket mounted in a shroud. The socket is a standard coax socket that is used in domestic wall plates.

Google "Clipsal coax socket" and look at the images.

for example:
https://www.outbackequipment.com.au/clipsal-75-ohm-coaxial-cable-surface-socket.-30tv7

You are either not holding your tongue right when you are trying to insert the plug or you have a faulty plug with possibly a bent centre pin.

take care
Mike

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It only looks square for the spring but its just a bog standard fitting....mine the same on van and the plugs I displayed fit...

Reactions: garfield28

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
This is just a plain old normal Clipsal 75 Ohm coax socket mounted in a shroud. The socket is a standard coax socket that is used in domestic wall plates.

Google "Clipsal coax socket" and look at the images.

for example:
https://www.outbackequipment.com.au/clipsal-75-ohm-coaxial-cable-surface-socket.-30tv7

You are either not holding your tongue write when you are trying to insert the plug or you have a faulty plug with possibly a bent centre pin.

take care
Mike

It only looks square for the spring but its just a bog standard fitting....mine the same on van and the plugs I displayed fit...

Thanks men.

Both 100% right it does accept the coaxle cable, sorry but I tried it and it was tight so I figured I don't wanna force it and then looking at it, it looked square so I thought it had a different type of connection, thanks again.

While I'm still trying to get a picture do you think if I use the stingray 12V signal booster I might be a better chance of getting a picture? Not sure if my antenna is just garbage or if maybe the booster that came with it just isn't up to it.

Thanks
Geoff

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
While I'm still trying to get a picture do you think if I use the stingray 12V signal booster I might be a better chance of getting a picture? Not sure if my antenna is just garbage or if maybe the booster that came with it just isn't up to it.

So as I understand your rig didn't come with a TV aerial and doesn't have a box in the wall inside like this fella,......
1668542710078.png

If it does then your TV should plug into it and your aerial to the outside plug, push little button next to aerial cnx and that activates the booster power...... If none fitted and you just have a similar socket inside as that outside then you will need to feed power to your aerial, looking at the Jaycar site this aerial comes with a 240v/12v booster, but depending on its configuration it may just be providing 12v to aerial to operate its inbuilt booster or a unit which in itself boosts the signal but doesn't provide power to aerial, therein lies the problem and since this unit has a turning motor I assume it just wants 12v supplied, .................. Might be time to find the manual and read the specs, the Jaycar site isn't all that informative.

If you know of someone with a van wander around with your aerial and a patch lead and plug in to their system and see if it works with the Wingard booster running...... and/or borrow someones TV signal booster

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
Thanks Drover.

Think I might buy the 12V kingray booster, I believe that will help my signal as I believe you are right the power supplies probably are more for the motor as it has a remote to spin it around.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I didnt mean just for the motor, it sounds like the booster is part of the aerial itself... It did mention it came with a power supply though it does mention indoor as well so I dont know...would have a definitive answer for you as Im in town but Jaycar has gone from here now.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Here is the description for the antenna from the Jaycar website which states that it has a booster:

Digital ready. It rotates. Ideal for grey nomads. This unit is ideal for the traveller. Because you could be in any part of Aust/NZ this antenna works on all frequencies (Some better than others, we admit). It covers VHF low, down to 47MHz (channel 2) to UHF up to 862MHz (channel 69).

It includes a signal amplifier (240VAC adaptor supplied) AND a rotator motor built into the antenna housing AND a remote control for that. It also comes with approx. 8 metres of TV lead with a weatherproof plug on one end.

Includes booster amp which will drive two televisions
• Compatible with our telescopic mast systems (sold separately)
• Supplied with other hardware
• Output 80 dbuV.

Antenna measures: 750(W) (deployed) x 300(L) x 100(D)mm (Folds down for storage)
Note: Not suitable for salt water environments

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
I didnt mean just for the motor, it sounds like the booster is part of the aerial itself... It did mention it came with a power supply though it does mention indoor as well so I dont know...would have a definitive answer for you as Im in town but Jaycar has gone from here now.

All good Drover appreciate your help. Have take it back to Jaycar and have bought a omni 360 degree type, fingers crossed it works better than the one I had

Here is the description for the antenna from the Jaycar website which states that it has a booster:

Digital ready. It rotates. Ideal for grey nomads. This unit is ideal for the traveller. Because you could be in any part of Aust/NZ this antenna works on all frequencies (Some better than others, we admit). It covers VHF low, down to 47MHz (channel 2) to UHF up to 862MHz (channel 69).

It includes a signal amplifier (240VAC adaptor supplied) AND a rotator motor built into the antenna housing AND a remote control for that. It also comes with approx. 8 metres of TV lead with a weatherproof plug on one end.

Includes booster amp which will drive two televisions
• Compatible with our telescopic mast systems (sold separately)
• Supplied with other hardware
• Output 80 dbuV.

Antenna measures: 750(W) (deployed) x 300(L) x 100(D)mm (Folds down for storage)
Note: Not suitable for salt water environments

Thanks Mike

Jaycar manager exchanged it for me and admitted these were crap and not totally suited to a caravan even though that is what it is advertised as.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The bestest aerial for caravan would have to be a Saturn, made just up the road, bit exxy but just stick it on a post and plug it in ......