Travelling the Gibb River Road

Andre307

May 18, 2016
Adelaide
No significant water crossings for the van when we did it a week ago.
Pentecost crossing was dry, some water on the way into ElQuestro and Emma Gorge but remainder dry. Was water on entry to ElQuestro Gorge itself but you don’t take vans there just 4wds with snorkels
If you want significant water on the van wheels (in the door ?) do Ivanhoe Crossing. I wasn’t keen to do it with the van but some others we met did.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
we are looking to go too, in count down 5 days. Was gonna skip it originally by going via Halls Creek, but that burning desire says.... go for it. But other half is concerned about water levels and water in van on some crossings. We tow a 20.64 outback. 14 wks of LS leave... WOOHOO bring it on! Any advice for us novices.
took a 21-64 on it in 2016. Just do it. Got no water in our van at all. My only advice is store pots and pans on the bottom cupboards/draws. I forgot, and baccarrat saucepans were a tad heavy for the pot draw. (only the bracket holding the runners broke though, not the actual draw.)

Reactions: Andre307

willobee

Apr 8, 2015
Perth
We just finished The GRR towing the 16' outback with the prado.
it is a lot drier this year but still lots of nice places and several nice pools for swimming , Bell gorge, Manning gorge, ELQ.

We went with tyres at 32 on the van and rear of prado and 30 on front.
those running really low tyres were shredding a lot. lots of sharp rocks this year corrugations worst around drysdale T/O
it was quite rough between home valley and drysdale t/o but improved a lot as we went further west. we had an hour or 2 here with nothing about about 50km/hr
We go with nothing above 80km/hr when tyres down though at times conditions would have allowed more.
take it easy and dont rush, if you rush you break lots.

most water crossings dry at the moment including the pentecost

Graders is working east and was at Imitji when we saw them.

We also took the 16 into the bungles, slow trip and rough but probably wouldnt have been much quicker without the van to be honest.

we had about half a dozen screws working loose or out by the end which easily tightened, 1 flat, and some dust in the battery compartment and rear boot. the rest of the van was pretty good with dust but perhaps we just dont let the dust bother us. The 4 beers that exploded though because of the corrugations did make a big mess.
We have a stone stomper which helps heaps!!
spot lights did destroy their mounts on the ally bracket

my advice (and its just my view)
start with good tyres!!
drop the pressure by about 10PSI
slow down and drive to the conditions, sometimes it will be quick others it might be really slow.
accept that some things may get broken eg tyres
One guy I was talking to had to pay $550 for a tyre at one of the stations

here we are at Windjana Gorge
IMG_5346 - Copy.JPG

renegade

May 7, 2019
sydney
Hi Willobee,

I have a Prado towing a 1649 outback and if don't mind me asking what tyre pressures do you normally run on the black top?

Going off the compliance plate on my van, I should be running 50 PSI when loaded.

Regards

Peter

willobee

Apr 8, 2015
Perth
Hi @renegade Peter,
I generally run at about 45PSI. I seem to remember doing the calculation from the compliance plate being in the 40s somewhere but cant remember the exact figure at the moment.
I find that at this pressure I don't find stuff all over the van when we stop as the van doesn't bounce over every bump. not noticing any significant increase in pressure when I stop and check temps/pressures periodically though I would like to get some pressure monitors as in the dust you cant see van tyres at all.

renegade

May 7, 2019
sydney
Thanks Willobee.

I'll try 45 PSI and take the van for a run.

I will be travelling the Oodandatta track for the first time in a month or so.

Just doing my research on tyre pressure before I get out there.

Regards

Peter

willobee

Apr 8, 2015
Perth
Hi Peter
the 45 is only for the black top.
start by dropping down about 10 PSI when you hit the dirt, you will feel it in the tug when you are about right but somewhere around 30 -32 seems about right from my experience.
I also make sure I don't go above about 80km/hr

cheers
Will

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
Just reading this post, its amazing how people think that a snorkel is purely for water crossings. Its for far more than that. Getting your air intake out of the main dust trail is one thing.