Toyota Aurion 2010

Gold Coast Crow

Nov 6, 2022
Gold Coast
Hi there, we are in the process of searching for a Jayco Slide out pop top, A few years ago we hired a Swan for a trial and found the back end sagged… I thought that the weights were about right, but maybe I need to load the car and trailer different.
Any way, I was looking for advice on whether 1. A Distribution Hitch would help achieve less sag? 2. Would an Eagle or Hawk be achievable? BTW it doesn’t need to be a fancy Off Road version.
Any help would be much appreciated as we know a Dove or a Swift would be fine but would prefer the extra size if possible…. I guess there is also the option of upgrading the suspension but this could be expensive and effect the comfort without the van.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi there, we are in the process of searching for a Jayco Slide out pop top, A few years ago we hired a Swan for a trial and found the back end sagged… I thought that the weights were about right, but maybe I need to load the car and trailer different.
Any way, I was looking for advice on whether 1. A Distribution Hitch would help achieve less sag? 2. Would an Eagle or Hawk be achievable? BTW it doesn’t need to be a fancy Off Road version.
Any help would be much appreciated as we know a Dove or a Swift would be fine but would prefer the extra size if possible…. I guess there is also the option of upgrading the suspension but this could be expensive and effect the comfort without the van.
Hi @Gold Coast Crow and welcome to the forum. There are plenty of members who will be able to help you I am sure. The rear end of your current tug is sagging because there is too much weight on the ball. Reloading differently with more weight in rear of van MAY help. Later model camper trailers have different ball weights even for the same models. Eagle or hawk are slightly smaller than the Swan which is designed for families. If there is just the two of you, have a look at a Penguin. It is as large as a Swan and lighter than a Hawk or Eagle in the Touring models. You also do not have to pull out any of the ends and don't have to make up the bed each time you pack up.
I have a 2013 model Penguin which suits Judy and I perfectly and it has a Ball weight of 160 kgs. hooked up to a 2011 Colorado 4 door cab, so no sag problem. However, another member @mikerezny has a later model (2015??) which has a ball weight of only 80 kgs. His tug is a Ford falcon sedan which he has had fitted air bags to reduce rear sag. This occurred because the position of the bed was changed from the front of van to the rear which apparently altered the ball weight considerably. Have a good look at all the later and different models and you will probably find one that suits your size and weight for your tug. Weight distribution bars are sometimes not suitable for smaller/lighter campervans and tend to throw more weight onto the front wheels of your tug, thus lifting the rear a little. Personally, without modifying your towing vehicle, I would look at the van ball weights as a first priority and also how loading may affect the weight on drawbar.

I am sure there will be plenty of other suggestions from different members with the smaller camper trailers. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: mikerezny

Gold Coast Crow

Nov 6, 2022
Gold Coast
Hi @Gold Coast Crow and welcome to the forum. There are plenty of members who will be able to help you I am sure. The rear end of your current tug is sagging because there is too much weight on the ball. Reloading differently with more weight in rear of van MAY help. Later model camper trailers have different ball weights even for the same models. Eagle or hawk are slightly smaller than the Swan which is designed for families. If there is just the two of you, have a look at a Penguin. It is as large as a Swan and lighter than a Hawk or Eagle in the Touring models. You also do not have to pull out any of the ends and don't have to make up the bed each time you pack up.
I have a 2013 model Penguin which suits Judy and I perfectly and it has a Ball weight of 160 kgs. hooked up to a 2011 Colorado 4 door cab, so no sag problem. However, another member @mikerezny has a later model (2015??) which has a ball weight of only 80 kgs. His tug is a Ford falcon sedan which he has had fitted air bags to reduce rear sag. This occurred because the position of the bed was changed from the front of van to the rear which apparently altered the ball weight considerably. Have a good look at all the later and different models and you will probably find one that suits your size and weight for your tug. Weight distribution bars are sometimes not suitable for smaller/lighter campervans and tend to throw more weight onto the front wheels of your tug, thus lifting the rear a little. Personally, without modifying your towing vehicle, I would look at the van ball weights as a first priority and also how loading may affect the weight on drawbar.

I am sure there will be plenty of other suggestions from different members with the smaller camper trailers. Good luck!
Thanks, we have looked at a 97 hawk and a 00 dove this morning, interestingly the dove seemed to have heavier atm, gtm, tare mass and axle group load capacity…. The reason I say that is the dove has a smaller body and smaller water tank…. But I am guessing because of the lay out that the ball weight will be less…. I will keep researching…. Our price range is just under 10k hence why we are looking at the older vans

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Thanks, we have looked at a 97 hawk and a 00 dove this morning, interestingly the dove seemed to have heavier atm, gtm, tare mass and axle group load capacity…. The reason I say that is the dove has a smaller body and smaller water tank…. But I am guessing because of the lay out that the ball weight will be less…. I will keep researching…. Our price range is just under 10k hence why we are looking at the older vans
@Gold Coast Crow , unfortunately for you, most of the earlier vans (which may be cheaper??) tended to be constructed of heavier materials, like metal exteriors and steel metal frames, unlike later models which changed to all aluminum frames, alloy wheels and fibre glass exteriors in an attempt to keep overall weight down, so more equipment could be fitted inside. It will be hard to get a van as large as you want, yet under the the max weight and within your budget unless it is a later one not used very much and in reasonable condition. But they are "out there" somewhere, so keep looking. Good luck. If you need further help, just come back to the forum and someone will be able to assist.

Reactions: Gold Coast Crow

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Towing with an Aurion doesn't allow much with a tow cap of 1600kg so really would keep you down to about 1500kg, as tow ball weight is generally assumed as 10% , with the Aurion having a GVM of only about 1600kg I would be looking at as light a van as possible and as a front wheel drive you may find the lighter the tow ball the better as well, as the back drops down so the front lifts up causing lighter front wheel loading, hence a WDH, if allowed may be advisable, new suspension doesn't really make for a harsher ride, usually means a better ride with far superior handling, the harsh ride is usually caused by improper fit out but suspension changes must be all over not just one bit ...........

Gold Coast Crow

Nov 6, 2022
Gold Coast
All great information, me and the better half are now looking at preferably a Finch and possibly a flight, our kids are far from big kids, even though they are 12 and 14 so Dble beds are more than suffice for us… the finch has a TBW on empty at around 90kg, flite 68kg, we are also leaning towards the ‘00 to ‘04 models… also taking into account we may have to spend a smidge more than first planned to get a decent condition snail shell…

Reactions: Drover

Gold Coast Crow

Nov 6, 2022
Gold Coast
Hi there Jayco legends, my next query as we have settled on the Finch being our best fit, as the weights seem to be best suited, tow ball at around 95kg which is perfect… my big question is the OB model which we looked at this morning has an empty ball weight of 85kg, obviously as we fill up the van that increases but my query revolves around towing an outback model with the Aurion, as the wheel base has higher suspension, will this be a major drama? The idea is that we may upgrade to a larger suv at some stage.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The best way to look at is via tape measure, on flat ground measure from ground to bottom of tow ball on tug then with van level measure the same to bottom of hitch on the van, ideally the tugs height should be around 25mm higher than van, gives a rough bit of leeway when you drop the van on the ball, possibly car will drop more but it gives a general idea ..... if van is higher than car it will have a nose down attitude for sure.

You can get adjustable hitches but again with cars of that size it may not be advisable................ If the measure of the OB is higher don't worry, if you just get the tourer model its easy to gain another 80mm of height later on as @Boots in Action has done with his Antartic Chook model Jayco ...................... so your not left with a tail dragger if you upgrade the vehicle later on........

Gold Coast Crow

Nov 6, 2022
Gold Coast
Thanks, I don’t need a tape to tell you the tug would be lower, how much lower I’m not sure, but I gather you are saying it should not be a drama it just means we would be driving with a bit of nose down action…

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
The best way to look at is via tape measure, on flat ground measure from ground to bottom of tow ball on tug then with van level measure the same to bottom of hitch on the van, ideally the tugs height should be around 25mm higher than van, gives a rough bit of leeway when you drop the van on the ball, possibly car will drop more but it gives a general idea ..... if van is higher than car it will have a nose down attitude for sure.

You can get adjustable hitches but again with cars of that size it may not be advisable................ If the measure of the OB is higher don't worry, if you just get the tourer model its easy to gain another 80mm of height later on as @Boots in Action has done with his Antartic Chook model Jayco ...................... so your not left with a tail dragger if you upgrade the vehicle later on........
Antartic chook model Jayco???????!!!!! Fortunately for me, the new van height after reversing the axle was still just a little lower than the ball on my Colorado 4 door cab. Easy fix was to remove tongue, turn upside down, unscrew ball and place on upper side and all level and no "plough" either needed. The Hayman Reece towing attachment allowed for all this.

Gold Coast Crow

Nov 6, 2022
Gold Coast
Thanks boots… I’ll look at the tongue but an aurion vs a colarado will be a big difference in height… the plough you refer to is I’m guessing the vanning term for bum up tow hitch down look… I guess my main query for now is will the be an issue…ploughing… in terms of towing the van?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I think you should just be looking at a Tourer model, you dont want to be nose down really, it makes for other problems... If you go for another tug its easier to modify...

Penguins are Antartic Chooks .... if I got the model wrong, its hot, Im old,grey cells are fading after a week of brain drain construction but its a good description....hey.

Reactions: Boots in Action