Towing with a Ranger

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
The main thing would be don't tow in 6th gear. 5th and 6th are both overdrive but 5th is recommended. I would use WDH as it balance things out puts some weight back on the front wheels. The main thing is take it easy and use it heaps. Enjoy and welcome to this great forum.

In S mode, the transmission will still select 6th if it feels it's ok. It doesn't lock it out.

Reactions: Delano

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Not what Ford told me.
Did Ford (engineering) tell you that, or did the salesman at a Ford dealership tell you that?

The 2 are mutually exclusive to each other. A WDH will have no effect on trailer sway and conversely, TSC will not help re-distribute weight back onto the front wheels.
My Jeep has TSC and I always use a WDH and have no incompatability issues. Anything over 2.5T with 250kg ball weight I would always use a WDH.

Vere

Oct 5, 2014
Adelaide
Did Ford (engineering) tell you that, or did the salesman at a Ford dealership tell you that?

The 2 are mutually exclusive to each other. A WDH will have no effect on trailer sway and conversely, TSC will not help re-distribute weight back onto the front wheels.
My Jeep has TSC and I always use a WDH and have no incompatability issues. Anything over 2.5T with 250kg ball weight I would always use a WDH.

Hi Matty,
I have the same Jeep as yourself. TSC??? is that an option on the Jeep?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Correct, Ford don't recommend the use of a WDH on the Ranger.

See plenty of them with WDH fitted, be a must have with a lot of them I fear...............................can't see how they would affect any type of sway control .

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Mate just let me know Santa brought him a Ranger for his new tug, so I will soon get all the news on them as he rebuilds it to what he wants, I told him if he bought a Colorado he wouldn't have to do anything, he's Victorian of course.......................he's fitting a WDH and chucking the original springs in about 6 mths as he reckons they will be stuffed by then.........................

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
The TSC has very little to do with anything. When I bought the Cruza my model was the first model getting it and there was all sorts of forum poo flying around about it. Researching as it had been out in the US for a year then was that what Toyota used was actually a ford patent and same as Ford used. It's pretty basic iirc when detecting if the trailer was swaying it didn't allow the transmission to upshift! That was about it! It didn't even actively know that a trailer was connected only through the "tail wagging the dog " movement that the system was sensed to detect. So I would say that the only reason it would be incompatible with a WDH is that the WDH would improve towing to the point that sway is unlikely and hence the TSC wouldn't get to work :D true ford thinking :behindsofa:

In the 3.5 yrs I've had the Cruza and the 2.5 years had the starcraft with ESC I reckon I have only sensed the TSC work once but the ESC heaps. I wouldn't give the TSC another minutes thought.

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Probably for another thread but interestingly trying to google the original info on the ford patent I've found since 2012 they have gone further and have active TSC which works with the trailer and car brakes !

Will be a bit of a game changer, but the yanks have always been more into Intergrating their vehicles for towing? Most US trucks are either presided for brake controllers or it's a simple kit.

https://www.google.ch/patents/US20080172163