Towing with a Prado - factory suspension OK?

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hey @InnerCityBoy agree with the above we tow a 17:56-2 OB with a Prado 150 3.0L have done heaps of stuff to it but for a trip on the school holidays you will be fine.

Not sure if someone has mentioned already but if you are hiring it you can also usually hire a WDH (Weight Distribution Hitch) which can level it out a bit more if you are concerned, also have you got a brake controller fitted as you will need one of these, I know some places have portable ones (I think)

Good luck with the towing and the Expanda, I am sure you will enjoy the freedom and extra space it can provide over the tent etc

InnerCityBoy

Jun 16, 2016
Sydney
Hi all

Thought I'd let you know how I went in case it helps anyone else. With the factory suspension the Prado sat low but not too low to be a problem ... have uploaded a picture. The ball weight of this particular Expanda was just over 180 kg.

I have the VX and to give you an idea it was an unloaded 16.49-3 and the link chains were dragging on the ground. After getting the kids out we were able to get the jockey wheel on.

I didn't have this problem but on reflection I had already inverted my towbar (ie. to raise the towball for my camper trailer) and the Expanda I had was an Outback model which has a raised tow height over the standard model. Perhaps the combination of this helped work for me.

Cheers - ICB

Attachments

• IMG_1440.JPG
    IMG_1440.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 317
Reactions: bigcol

InnerCityBoy

Jun 16, 2016
Sydney
Hey @InnerCityBoy agree with the above we tow a 17:56-2 OB with a Prado 150 3.0L have done heaps of stuff to it but for a trip on the school holidays you will be fine.

Thanks burnsie. Interesting to see you're towing a 17-footer with your Prado, when we went to the caravan show (Rosehill, Sydney) in April the Jayco rep told us the 17-foot Expanda was not an option based on the Prado's 2.5 tonne tow limit. That said I have seen a number of 17-footers being towed by Prados so I'm guessing you just watch how much you pack in to the van.

InnerCityBoy

Jun 16, 2016
Sydney
the bed is far far better in the Flamingo - and its lighter to tow

but thats the ONLY things that were better - the Expanda fly's way way above the Flamingo (see what I did there............)

Comic genius :biggrin-26:

You have summarised the differences well, bigcol. I have to say I was both impressed and slightly disappointed with the Expanda ... loved the extra storage, big fridge, oven, quicker set-up and being able to jump in to the van for quick road-side stops. But the beds were the biggest let-down, they were uncomfortable for the person (ie. me) who got relegated to sleeping on the side with the fold, you had to unmake / remake them and the overall time to open / unfold / make took about as long as pulling out the beds in the Swan. And although it towed well, the extra weight, drag and wobbling about was very noticeable for the driver (ie. me) compared to the Swan which towed like a dream (but admittedly had a Trigg hitch and independent suspension vs. standard ball and leaf springs).

Overall my wife and I enjoyed the Expanda experience, but if I was to do a touring holiday in a van of this size again I think I'd probably look for a StarCraft pop-top to save even more on the set-up time ... or have I just committed blasphemy :angel-87:

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
ahhhhh, see now this is where experience with the expanda helps me @InnerCityBoy

our beds are pre-made before we leave home, the quilt is folded and lays between the mattress and the edge of the bed (tent side - not open side)

when we pull up
pop the bed out - put in the centre bar
undo the 2 clips holding the mattress to the base
fold over 1/3 mattress
roll quilt over

beds made

I would post a piccie (as I always ask for them) but its dark and cold outside

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
there was a thread a far while ago (I dont recall who's build up it was in.......she was in NSW I remember, and they had to park the van out side on a small street, about all I can remember, but she was a very busy person with the mods they did )

they modified the beds so there was not the 2 thickness mattress - raised the top of the cupboard underneath
and got a 2 piece mattress from a bedding place

a job I am still to scare to tackle just yet

IMG_4029.jpg

IMG_4037.jpg

IMG_4040.jpg

Reactions: Dobbie and dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Scared are we

sure am,
havent got out of my Jammies since this morning
plus I would have to find the keys for the Van
open the lid
put the bed down
take a photo or 2
put the bed back up
close the lid
lock the van
and com back,
then
find the plug for the phone to computer
download the picture

hunt for it in downloaded folder
post it

way too much effort at this time of night I am afraid

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Good memory @bigcol ... we did do the bed mod and it was the best thing we did. It was really quite simple (for Baz)!!!

I remembered I had written it down with the pic's that Lara and yourselves had done it

my father was going to help me do this Mod
- but he passed away unfortunately -
as he knew, I am to wood like Andres Segovia is to house painting

I will attempt it one day

Reactions: Dobbie and dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
sorry for the Hijack, but

for @MDS69 ,I was out in the cool this morning getting the Van ready for next weekends sojourn with the Great Australian Camp Oven Cookup
http://www.campovencookup.com.au/
I know some of you guys had a small shot at it with your Qld meetup - good on you guys
have to try again this weekend coming

any how as you can see, even with the mattress toppers and such, it still folds, and the dooner is at the back
IMAG1344.jpg

IMAG1345.jpg

IMAG1346.jpg

IMAG1348.jpg

Reactions: dagree and MDS69

Justin

Feb 1, 2015
Melbourne
Hi all

New to the forum, I'm looking to tow a hired Expanda 16.49-1 over the school holidays with my Prado 150 series (2.8 diesel auto).

My biggest concern is that I have unmodified factory suspension, am I likely to have issues with the Expanda weight? Is there anything I should do to manage it (ie. pack the back of the van to ease off the tow ball weight), or not worry about it?

Any other general advice would be appreciated ... I've never towed anything heavier than a Jayco Swan and haven't given any thought to whether I'd need to drive differently with an Expanda. I generally just stick in in 4th (5th on the flat) when towing and otherwise drive normally.

Cheers
We had a 2013 prado towing a 17 ft expanda and we ran a weight distribution hitch . It really helped with rear sag and to level up . Cheers

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Hi,
We tow a 16.49-3 OB with a 2012 Prado 150 TD3.0. First few outings were only short(ish) at around 500km round trip, and while it towed with ease, but I found it wallowed a little on bumpy roads with the standard suspension. I put a set of airbags in the rear and it is greatly improved, and does feel much safer. We don't use a WDH with the airbags, but I have no doubt they would help if you're not up to putting in a set of airbags.
I also did the bed/mattress mod and now have a 50/50 split, single thickness mattress and it has made a massive difference to our sleep. I had the mattress made by the same company that supply the mattresses to Jayco, even has the Jayco name on the fabric :)
BR Paul