Towing with a Prado - factory suspension OK?

InnerCityBoy

Jun 16, 2016
Sydney
Hi all

New to the forum, I'm looking to tow a hired Expanda 16.49-1 over the school holidays with my Prado 150 series (2.8 diesel auto).

My biggest concern is that I have unmodified factory suspension, am I likely to have issues with the Expanda weight? Is there anything I should do to manage it (ie. pack the back of the van to ease off the tow ball weight), or not worry about it?

Any other general advice would be appreciated ... I've never towed anything heavier than a Jayco Swan and haven't given any thought to whether I'd need to drive differently with an Expanda. I generally just stick in in 4th (5th on the flat) when towing and otherwise drive normally.

Cheers

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I'm not sure of the weights a prado is set up for but I would guess you need to ask the hirer for the weights of the van before you make any decisions....ball weight in particular.

We've towed a Swan and an Expanda 16 and the Swan wasn't all that light on the ball but certainly it's GTM was lower. Our Swan had a 192 ball weight, about the same as the Expanda but there was at least 500 difference on the GTM.

I certainly wouldn't try to load up the rear to compensate...keep it balanced with most of the weight over the axle if possible.

Have fun with the Expanda experience and I hope it goes well.

Reactions: Delano and Drover

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
If it is a one off I wouldn't worry about it. Being a 2.8L it is obviously a new vehicle so suspension should be fresh.

InnerCityBoy

Jun 16, 2016
Sydney
Thanks for the responses. I noticed the back of the Prado sat down a bit when I towed the Swan, but the Prado was pretty fully packed with a fridge + food in the back and stuff on the roof.

I was thinking I could get away with keeping the Prado lightly loaded and making sure there wasn't too much in the expanda boot. If we do this regularly I'll get some airbags installed.

Cheers

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
We just bought a Starcraft and are towing it with our Prado which is unmodified. It doesn't seem to affect the suspension in anyway, not dragging down the back or anything. As long as you stick to towing a van that the Prado is legally allowed to tow then you should be ok. But I am no expert!

Reactions: Delano

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Towing a 16.49-1 with a relatively new 150 the suspension should handle it no problems. We have an older 120 and tow a 17.56-2 Outback but ended up beefing up the suspension anyway (It was a good excuse to Mrs Dagree that it needed it along with a bit of a lift ;) )

Reactions: bigcol

Doug

Jun 3, 2015
Leeming / Perth
After having experienced towing with the new 2.8l I will disagree that with standard suspension you will be ok. We applied a ball weight of only 120kg with just kids in the back and the towbar was so close to the ground the jockey wheel couldn't be placed low enough. I would suggest increasing the stiffness of the rear springs as they are too soft. If were you going to permanently have an Expanda I would suggest a WDH. It makes a hell of a difference. Equal weight between front and rear axles of the Prado.

Reactions: Delano

InnerCityBoy

Jun 16, 2016
Sydney
We applied a ball weight of only 120kg with just kids in the back and the towbar was so close to the ground the jockey wheel couldn't be placed low enough.

That's a surprise, I towed a 2015 model Swan with the Prado, ball weight (according to the spec) was 130kg. It sat a bit low but was fine, certainly no issues with the jockey wheel, and this was with 3 kids + a fridge + food in the back and a pod on the roof with a table + chairs.

The 16.1 Outback is 50kg heavier on the ball (on paper) so I figured it would be about the same if I keep the Prado lightly loaded and nothing too heavy in the Jayco boot.

Only one way to find out I guess ... give it a go ... if it's really bad, it might mean an annoying + expensive visit to Toyota for a WDH but I'd like to avoid that until we know whether we're going to get one long term.

Cheers

InnerCityBoy

Jun 16, 2016
Sydney
Interestingly, the owner of the Expanda I'm taking has a 150 Prado (with the 3.0 engine) and standard suspension and says it rides well and doesn't need a WDH or other mods.

I wonder if Toyota softened the springs when they did the 150 engine update ...

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Doug

Jun 3, 2015
Leeming / Perth
To be honest I was a little surprised. I have the VX and to give you an idea it was an unloaded 16.49-3 and the link chains were dragging on the ground. After getting the kids out we were able to get the jockey wheel on. Maybe the VX has a softer ride. All fixed now though Bilstein/ king lift with WDH for safety and tows like a dream. Very stable setup.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
hey @InnerCityBoy maybe get some air bags fitted (ebay them if you can fit - ARB / etc if you want them to fit)

a great investment that will help when you take the "plunge" and buy an Expanda

not too sure on the price fitted to a Prado - @dagree or @burnsie will know
but as I said, a great investment that will be used time and time again once they are in

InnerCityBoy

Jun 16, 2016
Sydney
not too sure on the price fitted to a Prado
According to my 'research' on a Prado thread, around $500: http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?35902-Prado-150-Airbag-Suspension.

BTW what a terrific forum this is, you Expanda owners sure are a helpful lot! We've been a soft-floor camper trailer family for a few years and have been considering moving to a pop-top for the comforts and convenience, and I'm trying to hold off on upgrading the car until I know what we're doing. We've tried out a Swan - and are about to try an Expanda - to get a feel for the different styles. I think the wife has already made her decision, and unfortunately (for the bank account) I may end up joining the Expanda club soon ...

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
BTW what a terrific forum this is, you Expanda owners sure are a helpful lot!
We've been a soft-floor camper trailer family for a few years and have been considering moving to a pop-top for the comforts and convenience, and I'm trying to hold off on upgrading the car until I know what we're doing. We've tried out a Swan - and are about to try an Expanda - to get a feel for the different styles. I think the wife has already made her decision, and unfortunately (for the bank account) I may end up joining the Expanda club soon ...

I had a Flamingo (about the same size as the Swan - different layout) then went to a 16.49.1 OB

the bed is far far better in the Flamingo - and its lighter to tow

but thats the ONLY things that were better - the Expanda fly's way way above the Flamingo (see what I did there............)

even if you only decided on a Swan or a Flamingo or a Penguin - you are still more than welcome to this Forum