towing expandas on the sand?

peter h

Feb 12, 2014
hello all
i am with @seanparky. we to have a prado and 16.49-1 at the present its allitle down on power . the last time we were camping at poverty point at bribe we nearly got stuck in the 8km of soft stuff that was the road. after airing down and digging out the draw bar / spare tyre, it was slow going. until i get alittle more power and moving the spare to the back, i am not game yet to tackle double island point on my own. we still have a soft floor camper that we are keeping for the mor out of the places. the last time we were up at di with the camper we had lots of fun getting out, 2-3m swell on top of 3-4m storm serge and a not so low tide ment it was up in the above high tide soft sand / dunes all the way to the cutting,
catch you later
peter

Last edited:
Reactions: seanparky

Gadgets 21.63.1

aka - adam 18.57.9
Jun 29, 2013
mornington peninsula victoria
www.bifolds.co
i have a prado and not real confident towing my 17ob thru sand yet as it lacks power where needed compared to the new land cruisers and v8 diesels. I guess if i got set up properly with recovery gear id be more confident.
are you talking about low range in the prado, they are very capable, i have a 99 prado, and last year had the 2013 prado kakado. both very capable of towing in the sand.

Reactions: seanparky

seanparky

Jul 19, 2012
Brisbane
Mate I have 16-49 as well how low psi did you let your tyres down on the expanda
i haven't really gone anywhere yet as only had the van 3 months. doing a 5000km round trip next week from brisbane down the newell hwy to mildura across to moonta bay in SA, back to Mildura then off to Soverign hill in Ballarat. From there thru deniliquin back up Newell hwy across to Armidale off to Yamba on the coast and back to Brisbane. So haven't had the chance to take van off road yet and in saying haven't really taken the prado 4wd yet either since I've moved to Brisbane. Most of my 4wd experience i had was when i had hilux's when i grew up in Alice Springs around on cattle stations etc. Im sure the prado on its own is capable but it really feels the weight. Would love to give it a crack as long as my car was set up properly with other 4wds around to help in case i got stuck.