towing expandas on the sand?

Still_dreamin

Jan 27, 2014
Brisbane Northside
We are off to stradbroke island for Easter with a 17.56-1 OB towed by a MN triton. We have been going there for years in a jayco swan OB towed by a mk triton with no issues. Not new to beach driving but am to towing such a large and heavy load.
Anyone have experience/advice?
Planning on letting tyres down to 18-20 PSI all around until van is in its place.

Still_dreamin

Jan 27, 2014
Brisbane Northside
MN triton can tow 3000kg with 300kg ball weight. Expanda is 1800 kg with 174kg ball weight. Wouldn't normally worry as part of group but circumstances have dictated our first beach adventure is solo!

Gadgets 21.63.1

aka - adam 18.57.9
Jun 29, 2013
mornington peninsula victoria
www.bifolds.co
hello, tyre pressures for the sand or mud are very important. the idea of lowing the pressure is to give you more coverage of the tyre on the sand/mud. if someone says let your tyres down to say 25-30 psi, then this is not correct. the correct pressure of your tyres depend on many factors - how many tyres on the rigg, the weight of the rigg, the size of the tyre. the correct way is to let the tyre down until it starts to balloon out at the bottom. every tyre has some tread that extends around to the side of the tyre, it is best to let the tyre down until you can see some of the tread from the side of the tyre.
as if the caravan is 3000kg then your tyres may only have to go down to around 35 psi, if it is under 2000kg and has four tyres then 20-25 psi would be good. but again this depends of the tyre. use the visual check of one tyre to set the psi for the rest of the tyres.

hope you understand all the above and it helps.

Reactions: Drover

benandjordansmum

Feb 8, 2012
Logan Village, Qld
We have been to both Straddie (Flinders Beach) and Fraser with our Expanda. (we used to do North Beach on Straddie with a camper trailer.) We have a 16.49.1 and tow with a 2013 Double Cab Landcruiser Ute. On both occasions, we let the car down to about 18 psi and the van to around 16psi and we had no problems at all. That was also fully loaded for a full weeks holiday with alcohol and two 90 ltr tanks full of water and 45 ltr in the car tank. I stressed taking ours on the beach and then after wondered what I was worried about. Where abouts are you going at Straddie?

Still_dreamin

Jan 27, 2014
Brisbane Northside
We have been to both Straddie (Flinders Beach) and Fraser with our Expanda. (we used to do North Beach on Straddie with a camper trailer.) We have a 16.49.1 and tow with a 2013 Double Cab Landcruiser Ute. On both occasions, we let the car down to about 18 psi and the van to around 16psi and we had no problems at all. That was also fully loaded for a full weeks holiday with alcohol and two 90 ltr tanks full of water and 45 ltr in the car tank. I stressed taking ours on the beach and then after wondered what I was worried about. Where abouts are you going at Straddie?

Thanks benandjoransmum. We are off to flinders as well. Not concerned about getting on the beach at adder rock or driving along flinders more worried about the last approach into the campsites and the internal tracks especially due to the lack of rain lately. Also being Easter holidays even though it is two weeks before Easter itself, a bit worried about sites. Probably stop on hard sand and do a reccy by foot then drive up.

benandjordansmum

Feb 8, 2012
Logan Village, Qld
When we went to Straddie we had our 100 series Sahara. As u say getting onto the beach was good it was just getting into the camp sites that was harder as it was a lot softer. We did have friends with us but did fine.

With our Fraser trip we were with the same friends again and both bought Maxtrax but didn't use them. The hardest part was getting from the track onto the barge at Fraser. People were getting bogged everywhere which made me even more nervous.

If u are already experienced enough with beach driving and letting the tyres down on both the car and van u will be fine!

Adam79

May 28, 2013
Brisbane
@Still_dreamin . We took our 17 to fraser last september towed with a 3l prado. We found a camping site with entrance track running parallel to the beach so wasn't too bad getting the van in. Found that the prado lacked power in the soft stuff but made it through with plenty of right foot. I have a few pics on my page of the camp. Enjoy your holiday.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
as long as you let your tyres down - both Car & Van, you will be alright
when away last week, I met a couple with a 17' or 18' Expanda (traveling around Aust young couple with 2 kiddies)
some of the places he had his Expanda I was a bit "hesitant" to say the least
but he had dragged it through sand to get to Moores Hut (south west coast) - so anything is possible

as I said - he had taken his poor old Expanda in places I wouldnt have......
saw them again a couple of days later at another camp spot (how he got in there was amazing, the road was a "roller coaster")

you should be ok

cheers

Oct 22, 2013
Mount Cotton QLD
We were at inskip a few weeks back tyres down and some momentum and we were all good but on the way out in a tight corner with minimal room for speed sunk the prado down to the chassis rails after a lot of digging with no luck we got snatched out. Would I do Fraser or straddie after this ? absolutely, I learnt a lot and will have maxtrax or similar next time just in case. As you said the northern entrance into flinders is a piece of cake just work around the tides, I have seen some similar side vans in there.

MalFerraro

Sep 25, 2012
Jimboomba
www.bayset.com.au
Guys,

I have been going to North Straddie for 3 years about to go for fourth with our 16.49-3
Camp down at campsite 7 off Flinders beach
Always travel with friends. Have got bogged a few times but all part of the fun if your not on your own.
Stop before you are too deep in easy snatch out
Hard work on your own

Racer

Jun 17, 2014
NSW
We did Fraser with a group, Flamingo, Swan, 16.49 & Kimberley Kamper. The trick was the have your trailer tyres mimic your vehicle in regards to visual deflation. The Expanda was a challenge at Inskip due to the soft sand however it made it. It was being towed by a Pathfinder.

seanparky

Jul 19, 2012
Brisbane
i have a prado and not real confident towing my 17ob thru sand yet as it lacks power where needed compared to the new land cruisers and v8 diesels. I guess if i got set up properly with recovery gear id be more confident.

MalFerraro

Sep 25, 2012
Jimboomba
www.bayset.com.au
We did Fraser with a group, Flamingo, Swan, 16.49 & Kimberley Kamper. The trick was the have your trailer tyres mimic your vehicle in regards to visual deflation. The Expanda was a challenge at Inskip due to the soft sand however it made it. It was being towed by a Pathfinder.

Mate I have 16-49 as well how low psi did you let your tyres down on the expanda

Racer

Jun 17, 2014
NSW
I was towing a Flamingo OB. Pressures? From memory it was around 20, 2 x 82l water tanks full plus the other usual supplies for 10 days on the island. I can't remember exact pressures for my mates Expanda.

Momentum is the key, I believe if you follow the rule of matching your vehicles track you will be fine.

Don't forget if you're driving a 150 series Prado you can turn off all the electronic trickery @seanparky It makes a significant difference allowing you to maintain momentum.

Reactions: cruza driver