towing advice

dan1649-2

Feb 1, 2011
I have recently purchased an expanda 1649-2 and am looking for some advice on towing it. I currently tow it with a hilux SR5 turbo diesel and when I get up to about 105Kmh it starts to sway from side to side. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do to fix it.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
G'day Dan

Sway is usually caused by an unbalance of load usually to much weight at the rear (behind the axle) keep heavy items down low and centred over the axle trying moving more to the front. ensure your van rides a level as possible. You may also wish to consider a weight distribution hitch for the tug

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day Dan,
Welcome to the forum. Bushman has given you the good oil on sway. I would defimitely go with the weight distribution hitch.

On another note, you will find travelling at over 100 kph with a van in tow will chew up considerably more fuel than 90-95 kph.

dan1649-2

Feb 1, 2011
Thanks for that I had heard that the weight distribution might fix it but wanted to talk to someone who had one first to make sure it was going to do the job. As for the fuel consumption I am only using 11.5 liters to the hundred sitting on 100 which I was pretty happy with.

foldtrip

Feb 6, 2011
perth
Electric Brakes for the VAN, not the car

Need some help here.... We have an expanda 2005 - 16.49.1
and not got a car yet, We can't find a hire company that has something with electric brake system.. So just when I was about to give up I spotted a website of an Expanda Hire company who say....

Do I need Electric brakes on my car?

There are electric brakes on the Expanda Caravan but you will need electric Brakes for the Sterling or we have Electric brake controllers for hire.

**** Has anyone heard of this? If this is true does that mean we could fit electic brakes to the expanda and not have to have any on the car?
Appreciate any advice on this
cheers
Dave

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day again foldtrip,

Any van over 750 Kg must have brakes fitted and Expandas all have electric brakes fitted as standard. You do not need to fit electric brakes to the car but you do need to fit an electric brake controller to the vehicle. I have not heard of anyone hiring them but I suppose it is possible.
The controller is a small box about 150 x 50 x 20 mm which mounts usually just under the dash and is cabled to the trailer connector on your car as well as the brake switch and 12 V supply. They can be bought for around $150-$200 and fitting would be another $100 or so. They are quite easy to fit yourself if you are anyways handy but any auto electrician would fit it for you if you buy one yourself or they would supply and fit it but most would probably charge you top dollar to supply.

I hope this helps

Regards

Paul

foldtrip

Feb 6, 2011
perth
ok, we have finally worked something out...
We are hiring an X trail for the weekend (towing 2000kgs braked)
We are also hiring a Portable Braking Controller for the car that plugs into the cigarette lighter!! Thats it, after days and days of research....

Next after this trip is to take our time and choose a decent car for the long term
thanks