Towel Rail fitted to side of Van. {Picture included}

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi guys.

I thought I`d add my latest invention to the list.

I`ve installed a towel rail permanently to the side of the van.

I bought an aluminium towel rail {1.2m}, 2 rail ends, and one mid support from Bunnings. I think total cost was around $12.

After carefully measuring and marking out a spot below the window, I drilled into the side wall and attached the railing with rivets.

If anyone wants to do the same, the only advice I have before hand is to make sure the door catch is free from the railing when the door is clicked into the open position.

With the towel rail attached, I can leave towels {or clothing} hanging out under the protection of the awning.

This saves the need for other types of portable clothes lines when you only need to hang a few things out.

I could have gone bigger, but I liked the look of the 1.2m running under the main window. I`m thinking of putting another one on. Maybe higher up beside the window. Towel Rail.jpg

See attached picture.

Reactions: boots33

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Thanks Captain.

I had a few of these on my old van and found them very handy.

Thanks for rotating my pic. Looks better right way up.

Make sure you use long head rivets. I think mine were around 10mm long.

I did a practice run with the rivets by drilling an extra couple of holes into the rear of van at the rego plate. I drilled, then pop riveted the rego plate to make sure the rivets were long enough and held. That way, if I stuffed up, it was at a spot that no one would ever see. It worked perfectly, and so did the towel rail.

Regards

Coast Runner

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Thanks Captain.

I had a few of these on my old van and found them very handy.

Thanks for rotating my pic. Looks better right way up.

Make sure you use long head rivets. I think mine were around 10mm long.

I did a practice run with the rivets by drilling an extra couple of holes into the rear of van at the rego plate. I drilled, then pop riveted the rego plate to make sure the rivets were long enough and held. That way, if I stuffed up, it was at a spot that no one would ever see. It worked perfectly, and so did the towel rail.

Regards

Coast Runner

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Thats great work Coastrunner!

looks much better than my make do clothesline which consists of rope tied between the awning arms! :crazy:

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Thanks Beegee.

It was the first and only mod I`ve done so far.

It not only dries the towels rain, hail or shine, it`s also the most convenient spot to leave towels all holiday. I just throw a towel over, peg it on itself so it can't blow away, and thats where it stays all holiday.

I`m just waiting for my LEDs in the mail, then comes mod number 2.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Yeah coastrunner, looks great and will considder myself....just need to make sure the kids don't swing off it! Just like I found one of my mates kids sitting on the end of my single post table:shocked::doh:

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Yeh. They`re quite strong but not strong enough to support kids.

One other thing, I noticed my crome rail has a little bit of rust. A mate, had the same thing. He took it off and replaced it with a stainless steel rail. He said it was only around $3.oo more for Stainless. I`ll do the same.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi coastrunner,

Just a quick note on stainless steel. Most people think ss won't rust but there are different grades. The only grade that won't rust is marine grade 316ss, alot of places that sell items and claim they are ss is actually 304 grade which will rust (contains carbon) over time but is better than chrome plated so just keep your eye on it. If you find it rusting again maybe try retailers for boating accessories.

Cheers
Burnsy

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
By the way, an easy way to tell see if it's magnetic. A magnet WILL NOT stick to 316ss.

Cheers.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Thanks for the info Burnsy.

To be honest I`m not sure what grade of stainless steel it is but at this stage {over a month} theres not even a spot of rust.

At the same time the previous chrome rail had several rust marks appearing.

I`m about 500 metres from the beach.