Tow ball weight on compliance plate

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Can someone with a Discovery please tell me what is on the compliance plate regards tow ball weight, I have a minimum weight of 126kg and a max weight of 164kg, this max weight is not 10% of the 1907kg ATM.
I posted these figures as a comment at the end of another post but it has now after a lot of weighing etc, it has now become a question as i cant see how it can end up with a 10% on the ball figure. With van close to being loaded and only a few things in the front boot the weight is already up to 150kg

Discovery 16.52.3
Tare 1532
GTM 1781
ATM 1907

thanks

Terry

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Hey there, we have the 17.55.5 dual axle shower van specs are

Ball Weight (Unloaded) = 135kg
Tare = 1713

Hope this helps!

Thanks expanda,
It is the max tow ball weight of 164kg on the compliance plate I'm concerned with, how can I achieive 10% of gross weight 1907kg with this figure being so low.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
The 10% towball downweight is not a requirement or legislated anywhere.
Depending on the size and style of van (or item being towed) it could range anywhere from 2% - 20%.

Don't get hung up with having to achieve the 10%, a towball weight of 6 or 7 or 8% may be fine and stable for your particular van.

Tuco

Jul 16, 2012
The 10% towball downweight is not a requirement or legislated anywhere.
Depending on the size and style of van (or item being towed) it could range anywhere from 2% - 20%.

That is right Matty - but all owners need be aware of the tug manufacturers specification when it comes to tow and ball weight capacity limitations.

eg - the 2010 PK Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 that we owned has a Tongue Load Limit (shown in the owners handbook) which states "The downward load on the towball must not exceed 10% of the total load in tow or the maximum limit which is listed on the identification plate affixed to the towbar, which ever is lower". Ford+ranger+towing.jpg

Similarly our present 2011 Nissan Patrol wagon has a "less than 10%" limitation. The owners handbook states "Never allow the tongue load to exceed 10% of the total trailer load. If the tongue load exceeds 10%, rearrange the cargo in the trailer"TowingA.jpg

Towing-B.jpg

My neighbours Landcruiser Troopie - 9 to 11%.
Landcruiser+Troopie.jpg

The RVMAA suggest 10% as do most state Transport Departments.

http://www.rvmaa.com.au/downloads/owners_handbook/RVMAA_Owners_Handbook.pdf
... page 51.