Journey Swap reading lights for Fan, light and USB all in one unit

Ayresy67

May 26, 2024
Perth
I have a 2019 journey outback pop top 17.58.3. I have had the idea of replacing the reading lights with a 3 in 1 unit that has a fan, light and USB port in them so phones can be charged off grid. Anyone done this before or found a 12v unit that has these 3 things on it?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Sounds like an idea but I would say the wiring for the lights in these things is pretty light gauge and while adequate for led lights not much chop when you want to drive a couple of fans and some USB ports wanting a couple of amps as they are usually in the 1 or 2 amp area nowadays you might get supply issues ... Check the size of the wiring first, plenty of coppper core then probably okay but just a whispy core not so good..

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Sounds like an idea but I would say the wiring for the lights in these things is pretty light gauge and while adequate for led lights not much chop when you want to drive a couple of fans and some USB ports wanting a couple of amps as they are usually in the 1 or 2 amp area nowadays you might get supply issues ... Check the size of the wiring first, plenty of coppper core then probably okay but just a whispy core not so good..
From my experience I think you’re going to find Jayco probably have equal to the best wire sizing of any manufacturer, being an auto electrician and having re configured the wiring in two previous Jacyco vans, one expands and one sterling I’d say she’ll be fine mate

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
From my experience I think you’re going to find Jayco probably have equal to the best wire sizing of any manufacturer, being an auto electrician and having re configured the wiring in two previous Jacyco vans, one expands and one sterling I’d say she’ll be fine mate

The lighting wiring in my old Expanda looked pretty light, similar to speaker cable plus they had fitted the lights wrong anyway, wired them on the battery side of the switch so if you piggy backed something off the circuit the lights would come on as well , got to know my lighting wiring very well after that, must have been a Friday build and the apprentice had to catch the bus ...

Reactions: DRW