Starcraft Stone Shield on extended drawbar ?

dosmos

Nov 15, 2012
SE Melb, Victoria
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has fitted a 'stone shield' to thier extended drawbar - I have a 20' Starcraft OB. I know that it would be a tight fit and would have to move the break away unit, but I'd like to fit it forward of the cross beam that the jockey wheel if mounted on. See attached photo. Thanks DOS

Attachments

• Starcraft drawbar.jpg
    Starcraft drawbar.jpg
    729.9 KB · Views: 211
  • Stone Shield photo.jpg
    Stone Shield photo.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 186

Johnanbev

Jul 7, 2013
Sunbury VIC.
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has fitted a 'stone shield' to thier extended drawbar - I have a 20' Starcraft OB. I know that it would be a tight fit and would have to move the break away unit, but I'd like to fit it forward of the cross beam that the jockey wheel if mounted on. See attached photo. Thanks DOS
Several things,
1 At your proposed atached point it could interfer with "jacknife" turning circle.
2 Interfer with atach, detach of levelling bars of weight distribution hitch.
3 Insuficient adjustment availability for atach of the stone shield to the A frame.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Plenty of room to fit a stone shield, first off measure from your tow ball to the outer edge of your vehicle, should be around the 900mm mark, then measure from the centre of your hitch on van and mark the distance on your draw bar, anything inside that mark will kiss your vehicle when turning, a screen will hit earlier as its wider.......... you must allow for the angle of the guard so top needs to be at the mark while the base would be closer to the van... (a proven observation as it caused the MkIII model to be upgraded to the MkIV once upon a time, thankfully tray back ute)

The closer to the van means it will have a better chance to catch and deflect the gooolies, some screens are very taught, not good they need to have a bit of play so stone hits and drops. Best to mount to draw bar with U bolts don't weld them on.

Reactions: mfexpanda

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Hi all,

Have you looked at a stone stomper, no worries about stones taking out you tug windows and will not have to move anything on the draw bar it flexes to suit when reversing. Not cheap as they are custom made to suit your rig, very happy with mine and worth the $$ spent

Reactions: Drover

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Have you looked at a stone stomper, no worries about stones taking out you tug windows and will not have to move anything on the draw bar it flexes to suit when reversing. Not cheap as they are custom made to suit your rig, very happy with mine and worth the $$ spent
yes we have had a stone stomper for years very happy with it

Reactions: Drover

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
Very handy. Great location for my dirty/sullage hose bag. And a length of galvanised strap from bunnings, a couple of bends in the vice, a few bolts and it makes a lite-duty firewood carrier!
IMG_20210429_125208.jpg

cwcchap

Sep 9, 2018
Belrose
Hi all,

Have a look at one like this ( Caravan Stone Shield with mesh 3PCE Black (2310mm x 500mm ) that is able to be removed with a clip in case it interrupts your turning circle or jocky wheel movement.