Starcraft Starcraft 22.68-1 OB finally ordered

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
Hi everyone, we have just ordered out first brand new van a Starcraft 22.68.1
With triple bunks. I am a bit confused as I asked for extra PowerPoint near stove area for my Thermomix and they told be no cant be done, also asked for pull out pantry. And can you get shelves in the robes? A bit disoppointed if you can as the sale rep told me no. Reading about the battery pack is it best to get it move to under the dinette
Hi Bridgew19 welcome and you have bought yourself a great van. We got the outback model and just love it. My daughter who is now 5 gets upset if we don't use it every couple of months. Any way you can definitely get shelves in the robes. They put them in our 22.68-1 for us as it was an option. The pull out pantry we also wanted but they can not do it because of the wheel arch. As for the extra power point near the stove I am not 100% sure but I think that it is not possible due to regulations to do with the stove and the sink

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day @4wdphil , we have fitted a pull out pantry, seen here, at post #40, which goes over the front edge of the wheel arch. As can be seen in the last pic, we had a power point fitted next to the stove for our coffee machine. @Billrw136 also fitted a pantry in the same space but moved the TV power sockets prior to fitting for a neater job.

Bridgetw19

Oct 19, 2016
Country
Thank you for your reply. So does the back kids robe come with shelves in it? As the one we looked at had it in them so I have just assumed it was shelved already.

Whittley

Jul 30, 2015
Wa
Hi bridgetw19 yes the shelves are definitely an option. We changed the back wardrobe to shelving and the left side robe next to the main bed to shelving too. We kept the right side bed robe as hanging for our jackets, wetsuits etc. As for the power point, we asked for one too but was told it was too close to the stove so we asked for a double power point to placed in the top small cupboard ( left of the mircowave) and my hubby then put a computer port hole through the bottom of the cupboard to access the double power point. It works great. . If you want I can take a photo of the port for you to see how it was done.

Bridgetw19

Oct 19, 2016
Country
Thank you a picture would be great. When we ordered our van on Saturday they didn't tell us the shelving was an option. I just assumed the back robe was shelves. They told me today I can't put shelves in the front robes because it had gone into production. Very disoppointed by the lack of assistance of telling us what was standard and what is extra. I think they only cared for then$$&

Bridgetw19

Oct 19, 2016
Country
Hi everyone, can I ask how did you know you could get extra shelves? Looking at the Jayco extra shelving ashy on there? Was that something the salesman should have talked to us about? We asked for the optional extras but shelving wasn't on that list. Sorry first time in a new van. Have had 2nd hand in the past.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
It's always difficult to know exactly how wardrobes, eg, are configured. Some are delivered with hanging space, others with shelves to be used as a pantry or for clothes storage. It's hard for anyone to predict.

It's possible to convert easily so I wouldn't get too concerned ...apart from the cost.

As an example, ours came with hanging space which we hated so spent ages trying to find the exact drawer unit we thought we wanted. Went out, bought it and it wouldn't fit. Tried another.
We didn't want factory supplied shelves (heavy) and we wanted to be able to adjust if necessary. Finally, I found exactly what we wanted at the Reject Shop for a fraction of the cost, very functional and not much weight.

Our wardrobe then became a great pantry and if we'd ordered at the build time, it wouldn't have worked as well.

Enjoy the planning...there'll always be frustrations but that's life.

Bridgetw19

Oct 19, 2016
Country
It's always difficult to know exactly how wardrobes, eg, are configured. Some are delivered with hanging space, others with shelves to be used as a pantry or for clothes storage. It's hard for anyone to predict.

It's possible to convert easily so I wouldn't get too concerned ...apart from the cost.

As an example, ours came with hanging space which we hated so spent ages trying to find the exact drawer unit we thought we wanted. Went out, bought it and it wouldn't fit. Tried another.
We didn't want factory supplied shelves (heavy) and we wanted to be able to adjust if necessary. Finally, I found exactly what we wanted at the Reject Shop for a fraction of the cost, very functional and not much weight.

Our wardrobe then became a great pantry and if we'd ordered at the build time, it wouldn't have worked as well.

Enjoy the planning...there'll always be frustrations but that's life.
Thank you dobbie for your advice. Would you be able to take a picture of what your shelving looks like? Just in case I find something before December.

Whittley

Jul 30, 2015
Wa
Thank you a picture would be great. When we ordered our van on Saturday they didn't tell us the shelving was an option. I just assumed the back robe was shelves. They told me today I can't put shelves in the front robes because it had gone into production. Very disoppointed by the lack of assistance of telling us what was standard and what is extra. I think they only cared for then$$&

Hi I will take a couple of photos tomorrow for you

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Thank you dobbie for your advice. Would you be able to take a picture of what your shelving looks like? Just in case I find something before December.

Sorry can't do piccies as the van has been sold.

From memory, we used a plastic four drawer unit with the top one removed. It gave us three good pull out drawers for pantry stuff, a flat top surface for corn flakes etc and a bit of space at the side which was ideal for glad wrap etcetcetc.

It's possible to get good slide outs with stainless wire drawers but you need fixed shelves to fit them on. Also possible to get a fixed stainless unit so no shelves needed. Harris I think though we had trouble getting one to fit.

Dunn and Watson also supply some good stuff so their website might be worth a look. (We're looking at some drawers from them for our replacement van.)

I'm assuming you want to use the area for pantry stuff?

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
G'day @4wdphil , we have fitted a pull out pantry, seen here, at post #40, which goes over the front edge of the wheel arch. As can be seen in the last pic, we had a power point fitted next to the stove for our coffee machine. @Billrw136 also fitted a pantry in the same space but moved the TV power sockets prior to fitting for a neater job.
Hi Chartrock all good but that is not a starcraft 22.68-1. Also the factory will not fit a pull out pantry to the space that Bridgew19 was referring to. I wanted a pantry fitted from factory to my 22.68-1 but they would not do it. I also had issues regarding the power point near the stove as the gas regulations don't allow one to be fitted that close to the stove.

Bridgew19 - if the van doesn't come with shelving in the robes you require the dealership can fit them for you or you can buy the wood direct from jayco and make them yourself
Whittleys idea regarding the power point is great, another option is the jayco wiring kits which are a click and connect system which you can buy from the parts section at jayco. Buy the wiring kit and power point and connect it together yourself. If I recall there is a junction box in the lower cupboards. Just another option

Bridgetw19

Oct 19, 2016
Country
Ok I've heard a few people talking about changing their 12 pin plug and a 7 pin and Anderson? It's all because of the fridge doesn't stay cold???? Could I please have some advice? What you all have on your Starcrafts 22.68.1 Hi 4wdphil, hope your still using the van flat out. Great weather at the minute. Just wondering if you could take some pictures of your front robes with the shelves and the back robe too please? If you don't mind. Getting closer til be get ours. So excited.
Hi Bridgew19 welcome and you have bought yourself a great van. We got the outback model and just love it. My daughter who is now 5 gets upset if we don't use it every couple of months. Any way you can definitely get shelves in the robes. They put them in our 22.68-1 for us as it was an option. The pull out pantry we also wanted but they can not do it because of the wheel arch. As for the extra power point near the stove I am not 100% sure but I think that it is not possible due to regulations to do with the stove and the sink
Hi 4wdphil
Hi Bridgew19 welcome and you have bought yourself a great van. We got the outback model and just love it. My daughter who is now 5 gets upset if we don't use it every couple of months. Any way you can definitely get shelves in the robes. They put them in our 22.68-1 for us as it was an option. The pull out pantry we also wanted but they can not do it because of the wheel arch. As for the extra power point near the stove I am not 100

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Ok I've heard a few people talking about changing their 12 pin plug and a 7 pin and Anderson? It's all because of the fridge doesn't stay cold????
Yes that is one reason but another one is that some have also had an issue with undersized cabling and/or bad connections on the larger pins of the 12 pin plugs getting hot and melting the plug..... Fortunately I haven't heard of any actually catching fire (Not saying it hasn't happened tho!!)

I would suggest that if you do make any changes to the fridge wiring (ie: Anderson Plug etc) that you use as heavy a gauge cable as possible like 6B&S for example. This is 6mm diameter and NOT 6mm squared which get a few people confused. The 6B&S equals approximately 13.5mm square! OH and is a good fit for the 50Amp Anderson Plug lugs ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dobbie

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
Ok I've heard a few people talking about changing their 12 pin plug and a 7 pin and Anderson? It's all because of the fridge doesn't stay cold???? Could I please have some advice? What you all have on your Starcrafts 22.68.1 Hi 4wdphil, hope your still using the van flat out. Great weather at the minute. Just wondering if you could take some pictures of your front robes with the shelves and the back robe too please? If you don't mind. Getting closer til be get ours. So excited.
Hi 4wdphil
Hi Bridgetw19.
Thanks we have been using the van heaps but it is going to be used more now that I have got a new job with better hours. It is the best investment to date. The new Colorado comes in as second best investment- what an awesome 4wheel drive.
Ok as for the 12 pin plug. This is the set up we use and we have had no issues what so ever and we have used the van a lot - just our experience. As quoted before you need decent wiring in your vehicle which we have.
As for the photos I will take some later tonight and post them for you.
The waiting for the new van drove me crazy. I was that excited once I was told we could collect it. I suspect you are getting a little eager with the wait as well. It will be all worth it in the end.
Any way going for a swim then I will take some photos .

Last edited:

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
Ok Bridgetw19 here are some photos of our wardrobes with the shelves.

Below is the front wardrobes

20161120_195257_resized.jpg

and here are the kids wardrobes

20161120_195318_resized.jpg

I hope this helps
Phil

Reactions: davemc

Bridgetw19

Oct 19, 2016
Country
Thanks Phil for the pics and info. Jayco told us it would void the warranty of the fridge and battery if we changed to an Anderson but in laws changed theirs to Anderson so their old sterling fridge 150lt didn't stay cold but the now have Anderson and 187lt fridge in the silver line and haven't had any problems. We have a ford territory but are getting a new Everest in December also so just don't know which plug to go with. When you got your ute did you ask for particular wiring?

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I can't see how your fridge or battery warranty would be affected by changing to an Anderson plug and presumably, a 7 pin flat.

If you are following the wiring instructions with the correct (recommended) size of wire the manner of connection is up to you.....and is flexible. Jayco do their standard 12 pin plug wiring and, as long as you connect the correct wires, as identified from their plug, to the relevant car wiring, you should be fine.

If not, I'd be interested to know why not.

Are you getting an auto electrician to do it? If so, take the 12 pin wiring diagram to him so there's no possibility of error.

There's a 12 pin wiring diagram somewhere on this site ...just do a search and yell if you can't find it.

Good luck with the anticipation and reality of the new van and all the little annoyances that come with it....it's worth it in the end.

;)

Bridgetw19

Oct 19, 2016
Country
Thanks dobbie, they (Jayco) dealer said the have only sold 4 vans lately with Anderson plug. They said it's because Anderson has more voltage of thicke wiring then the 12 pin that could blow up the fridge and battery. But some people have said the 12 pin will drain the battery with you pull up to say do groceries before getting to the caravan park?

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
Thanks Phil for the pics and info. Jayco told us it would void the warranty of the fridge and battery if we changed to an Anderson but in laws changed theirs to Anderson so their old sterling fridge 150lt didn't stay cold but the now have Anderson and 187lt fridge in the silver line and haven't had any problems. We have a ford territory but are getting a new Everest in December also so just don't know which plug to go with. When you got your ute did you ask for particular wiring?

It's nuts isn't it. Our local dealer changed the plugs over prior to delivery without question.