12' Series Solar install

Dingo

Mar 18, 2015
Camden
Hi there everyone just wanted some advice on putting solar on my 17ft expanda. I have read some other posts but I got some what confused lol. Im only new to caravanning so any help would be great. Basically I was looking at purchasing a REDARC-20-AMP-20A-SOLAR-PANEL-CHARGE-REGULATOR-CONTROLLER-12V-CARAVAN-SRP0240 along with 180watt portable solar kit from ebay. I just wanted to know how to install it please. Any wiring diagrams with cable sizes would be greatly appreciated.

Also the panel comes with a regulator but can I still install the Redarc one as later on ill be installing some panels on the roof of the caravan?. I used to be an electrician by trade but not to clued up on solar installs.

Cheers Adam

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
It looks to be a regulator. So you will need to remove the regulator from the 180w panel and hook the panel straight to the redarc. I would skip the redarc and just buy the portable panel and connect it straight to the battery, unless for some reason you want to charge one battery before the other.

Dingo

Mar 18, 2015
Camden
It looks to be a regulator. So you will need to remove the regulator from the 180w panel and hook the panel straight to the redarc. I would skip the redarc and just buy the portable panel and connect it straight to the battery, unless for some reason you want to charge one battery before the other.

Thanks mate Ive decided just stick with mounting 2 x 200w panels on the roof. Do you know what brand for a solar regulator is reasonable. I was looking at the MPPT Victron 30amp model. Any ideas cheers

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I use a CTEK D250S Dual as a solar regulator with a Nasamarine BM1 Battery monitor works great I have 1 x 200w panel on the roof and that easily kept 2 x 120ah batteries charged for 2 weeks while camped on the beach running an engel, lights, Telly, and chargers for all the kids electronic crap. I also have a 100w folding panel that I had hooked up to the second battery in the car that ran the ARB fridge as a freezer

Dingo

Mar 18, 2015
Camden
I use a CTEK D250S Dual as a solar regulator with a Nasamarine BM1 Battery monitor works great I have 1 x 200w panel on the roof and that easily kept 2 x 120ah batteries charged for 2 weeks while camped on the beach running an engel, lights, Telly, and chargers for all the kids electronic crap. I also have a 100w folding panel that I had hooked up to the second battery in the car that ran the ARB fridge as a freezer

Hey thanks heaps mate would you mind if I have you a call sometime just to have a quick chat if that's ok

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
Last edited: