Solar blanket

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
So I finally got around to connecting some Anderson's to the Victron MPPT controller and doing a straight (non scientific) comparison of the Victron vs. the cheap PWM supplied with the Kings 200W blanket.

I used the aux battery in the car. For load I turned the car fridge on (top open) and ran the Travel Buddy (door open) - fair to say the battery was under load.

Less than perfect conditions solar conditions (but still pretty good) I laid the mat flat on concrete (was not angled at the sun). The sun wasn't directly overhead, but it was close.

The Kings PWM controller max output was 107W. Changed to the Victron (default settings - I haven't matched to the battery) - max was 144W (it was a big difference and I thought maybe the cloud cover had changed).

So I swapped back to PWM - back down the 100W, back to the Victron and I saw 140W

If left all day as your source of power I suspect this would make a big difference to your charge state. I was pretty happy with the outcome.

I didn't match the charger to the battery as I will be setting it up for the van and not the car. It was only for a quick test.

Size wise the Victron is a little larger - but it still fits in the pocket of the blanket so it can be kept nice and portable. The Victron is definitely a heavier unit and feels like quality - chalk and cheese comparison really. Flip side is so is the price. Is it worth the upgrade (the controller costs half as much as the blanket did)? IMO - yes. you will move the controller from blanket to blanket as you upgrade.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
So I finally got around to connecting some Anderson's to the Victron MPPT controller and doing a straight (non scientific) comparison of the Victron vs. the cheap PWM supplied with the Kings 200W blanket.

I used the aux battery in the car. For load I turned the car fridge on (top open) and ran the Travel Buddy (door open) - fair to say the battery was under load.

Less than perfect conditions solar conditions (but still pretty good) I laid the mat flat on concrete (was not angled at the sun). The sun wasn't directly overhead, but it was close.

The Kings PWM controller max output was 107W. Changed to the Victron (default settings - I haven't matched to the battery) - max was 144W (it was a big difference and I thought maybe the cloud cover had changed).

So I swapped back to PWM - back down the 100W, back to the Victron and I saw 140W

If left all day as your source of power I suspect this would make a big difference to your charge state. I was pretty happy with the outcome.

I didn't match the charger to the battery as I will be setting it up for the van and not the car. It was only for a quick test.

Size wise the Victron is a little larger - but it still fits in the pocket of the blanket so it can be kept nice and portable. The Victron is definitely a heavier unit and feels like quality - chalk and cheese comparison really. Flip side is so is the price. Is it worth the upgrade (the controller costs half as much as the blanket did)? IMO - yes. you will move the controller from blanket to blanket as you upgrade.

Yes @Macca_75 , it does seem to prove that a MPPT controller will utilize that extra voltage in panel (compared to the battery voltage which would be dragged down by the load you applied) and convert it into extra amps for a considerable increase in available wattage. Agreed you have to pay for it in the superior controller, which is necessary if using lots of power, but like a powerful tug, you always have power to spare!!.