Soaring's Ford Ranger Wildtrack.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Looking to sign for a Dual Cab 4 WD. Hoping to afford the XLT, but may have to go for the XLS. I know it will easily tow our 17.56-2, but looking to go to a van with an all up weight of 2800 kg.

From all reports this truck does that ok?

Last edited:
Reactions: Soaring

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
XLT.....I'm trying!

What is it Rolls Royce say, "The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten", or something like that.

I know that I'll be happier in the XLT.....life's too short!

Reactions: Matty4

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Looking to sign for a Dual Cab 4 WD. Hoping to afford the XLT, but may have to go for the XLS. I know it will easily tow our 17.56-2, but looking to go to a van with an all up weight of 2800 kg.

From all reports this truck does that ok?
A mate of mine tows his 23 ft Starcraft at about 2800 with his BT50, does it with ease, you will have no dramas with the Ranger.

Reactions: cruza driver

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Nice one @Bank of Dad. Sounds like a great setup.
And good to see you are supporting local Aussie engineering jobs.
The better the Ranger and Everest do in the market, the more chance we have of keeping the engineering here in Aust for new models.
BTW, I've just arranged one of the tech geeks to disable the "smart alternator" feature. Worth enquiring about with your dealer prior to handover to ensure you get full charge to the van.

Reactions: Bluey

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Thanks.

I've got to get the standard 12 pin plug sorted with relays for our 17.56-2 Expanda. We are going to a JB Caravan 21'6" rear door. These run a plug for the vans lights etc only and an Anderson plug to charge the 2 batteries etc. not really sure of the exact electrical setup on the new van, have to find out. The Anderson plug will have relays etc too.

What is 'smart alternator'?

I love the Ranger. I wanted one when I got the Territory but couldn't afford it at the time and didn't need it really to pull our standard van.

The Terry has been and will be for the new buyer a bloody good car. Great safety features, properly tested for ANCAP, durability tested for good use and for a car its size, great economy. 8l/100km is pretty good. Yes it did a gearbox at 20k, but the Landcruiser it shared a flat bed with on its way to the dealer had done the same thing at 10k. Hasn't missed a gear since.

Good trade in too and so far the Ranger seems to hold its value. We have smart engineers in this country who design good cars for our conditions.

You only have to look around van parks to see that Ranger / BT50 are major players.

Last edited:

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Found this
image.jpg

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Cheers mate....sold.

I'm not getting side rails and sticking with the stock Ford side steps. Getting the Ford snorkel too. Seems to fit nicer and I tried an ARB Safari one and it seems noisier compared to the Ford one.

Not getting the deluxe canopy as I need to be able to have the side window open for the dog. Roof rails for the canoes too!

Thanks for the photo....very helpful.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Does the Ranger have any provisions to use the Hilift?

Its a bit of weight up there if there is no where it can be used :thumb:
It's mainly for the van. I've got a piece of RHS that slips into the chassis rail to jack the van. But you can use the tow bar. And at a pinch the side step mounting bracket will work too.

Reactions: cruza driver

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
White does show up the stonechips later on, little rusty dots appear.