Shower Walls Buckeling

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
The walls in the shower of my Discovery are bulging like the glue has let go and I havent even had a shower in it yet, has anyone else had this problem and has it been fixed.

I have been opening the van up on hot days so it wouldnt get super hot inside.

Terry

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I think [MENTION=2089]Burnsy[/MENTION] is your man.
Although he may not reply. Seeing this thread may just be the catylist that pushes him over the edge.

Feldty

May 31, 2012
Wangaratta, Vic
My shower has done the same thing. I am yet to get it looked at but will before our warranty runs out. Ours goes back in place as soon as it cools down.

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Mine is most of the side wall that has let go. I rang the Jayco Dealer this morning and he told me they have had a couple and that they must had a newbie on the glue gun as the glue is some sort of special stuff (cant remember the name) and its important to get all the air out when laying, I have to call back on the 2nd Jan and they will order the new wall and install it when it arrives from Jayco

goanna

Jul 8, 2011
Perth WA
It happened to my Expanda last year took 3 months before it was fixed and it took 4 days to fix it, one day to remove the walls and clean it ,one to do one wall, one to do the other wall and one to put everything back, We updated to a Sterling this year and guess what, it's happened again, it's in for a service early next year so will endeavour to get it fixed

Ashevo

Aug 26, 2012
Karratha
Had the same issue. Just been fixed along with some other things under warranty. The repairer said that it was a reasonably common issue. On the side though I can not commend him highly enough. We live in the bush and he stored the van for 3 months and found other issues to be fixed under warranty that I didn't even know were issues. Top bloke and opened his yard 1 week after they closed for Christmas as I couldn't get down earlier. PDA Caravans in Maddington are stars. Thanks Peter, a pleasure to deal with after the run around from the dealer.

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
I have been able to trace this problem back to 2008 through other forum posts, you would think that it would have been sorted in the interest of PR by now.

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
We had the same problem with our van, took it in for a service and they removed the entire shower unit and re glued it. Has been perfect for over a year now. I'm quite happy that any issue's we've had have been fixed with no questions. Spending more money doesn't necessarily mean it will be a better van, I think some of these reoccurring issues need to be addressed by Jayco but on a whole the quality of our two Jayco's has been great.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I have had some experience in this area and it seems most of the problem is that it's done too quickly on the assembly line. The adhesive (tool box glue) works fine as my repairer did some testing before they glued my walls back in. When they pulled off my walls there was a section where the glue was not squashed like the rest, this was where I had a bubble. When my walls were glued back on, 2 walls at a time (one piece = 2 walls) they were all braced and left overnight, which unfortunately Jayco don't do due to production time allowed as this way it would take days to put the walls in.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Our van is only 4 months old and the shower wall against exterior wall de-laminated the other day. Van was sitting in same place and OK for two days, then 3rd day - wow, most of the wall has come away. Only the toilet and where the plumbing is fitted is holding it on. In the cool of the evening, it appears to "stick" back on - have they used a heat sensitive adhesive?

It will simply go onto the growing warranty list.

Does not stop us using the shower, we are not worried as it will be fixed, so we are just going to enjoy the rest of our Bridport foreshore holiday - only 30m to the shore for the kids, plenty of beach cricket, 100m to the rocks for me to fish everyday and a fridge full of chilled wine, beer & food.

Happy Holidays

Rohan

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hey mate

Yes same with our van. Two walls come away. 1 has alrealdy been fixed and the 2nd one let go 2 days after I got it back. We had a look down the 2nd wall and it looks like when they glue them in the factory - like Burnsy said, they don't take the time required and I believe that they are put upright too quickly and the glue not being cured correctly does not settle evenly. Then with the heat they just let go. :(

2 days for Jayco to fix my first wall as the service agents like to do it properly i guess?

Cheers
Ants

From ULURU! :) Happy Holidays all.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Hate to think what Jayco pay their dealers in warranty service claims.

Obviously cheaper than worrying about trying to learn the issues from these forums and analysing warranty claims data they have and make the appropriate changes to their production methods/practices and perhaps small design changes.

Clearly a matter of getting as many vans out the door each week, then worry about the dealers fixing the shoddy work and clear up any manufacturing/design faults.

Rohan

Megs

Nov 7, 2012
Tassie
We picked up our 17.56.2 expanda a couple of weeks ago and our shower wall has the same issue. Ours had been sitting in their yard for a couple of months and when I first looked at it the wall was fine. A month later and it had a huge bubble. They're fixing it when we finish using it in January, even offered to come and puck it up from our house.

hollywood

Oct 8, 2012
Brisbane
We picked up our 17.56.2 expanda a couple of weeks ago and our shower wall has the same issue. Ours had been sitting in their yard for a couple of months and when I first looked at it the wall was fine. A month later and it had a huge bubble. They're fixing it when we finish using it in January, even offered to come and puck it up from our house.

Way too funny.
We purchased our van (17.56.2) in October. First trip u guessed it.
Repaired by reputable Brisbane dealer !!!
2nd trip away!!! Surprise surprise.
No more said. Not happy Jan, and someone on here was right, we pay decent coin for these vans, jayco must improve their QA and offer the general public a better product.
Safe travels everyone.

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Rang Dealer and booked mine in for repair, I mentioned that quite a few vans do this and it appears quite common, I got a guarded reply of "yes some do"
If mine keeps doing it after warranty I think I will rip it out and replace with white laminex like they do in houses.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Jaybird,

I would have though that if it is identified and fixed during a warranty period, but continues to do it after the warranty has expired, you still have recourse to claim it as a warranty repair as they clearly did not fix it correctly in the first place.

Rohan

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Rohan
I would hope so as well and I'll cross that bridge when and if it comes, however as some have said here the problem keeps happening then after the second or maybe 3rd time and if this is the case for me then sometimes its just better to bite the bullet and do it yourself. I have a 45 year trade background and have proved this on many occasions.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Been 4 weeks now since my walls were replaced and no sign of letting go (touch wood) and we've had some pretty hot days on this holiday. Maybe it just comes down to bracing until glue has cured properly, but whatever the reason, clearly a problem that needs resolving!