Shonky warranty repairs

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
Warranty work can be a pain,if you want a good warranty agent in SA, try Gawler Caravans, they may be further to go to get the work done, however, they do the work properly first time. This is just my opinion.
Thank's for that tip @crackacoldie , didn't know there was another Jayco authorised service dealer in Adelaide, thought ACC had the market sown up here. Will certainly be keeping that in mind!;)

Reactions: Jaypanda

The Wadamses

Jan 13, 2014
Tassie (near Launceston)
We are still happy with our van.. we just find the dodgy repairs so frustrating. Has anyone else had similar problems? I have been told by some other Jayco owners that you just have to keep fighting for repairs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

quote="DroversDog, post: 54153, member: 3124"]All of the problems detected in the first 12 months have been fixed satisfactorily under warranty but other problems tend to appear outside warranty such that I believe the warranty should be 2-3 years like new cars, not 12 months.[/quote]

The Wadamses

Jan 13, 2014
Tassie (near Launceston)
quote="DroversDog, post: 54153, member: 3124"]All of the problems detected in the first 12 months have been fixed satisfactorily under warranty but other problems tend to appear outside warranty such that I believe the warranty should be 2-3 years like new cars, not 12 months.
[/quote]
Sorry about last post.. Still working out the 'quotey' system:ambivalence:
We have definitely had same issues.. Dodgy repairs by authorised Jayco rep who - yep - is a dealer. Took van to second auth repairer. These guys did fix the problems structurally, so we were happy with that, but not cosmetically; white caps & edging to fix issues where all other original caps & edging are beige, for instance. Not a good look.
On a brand new can we'd just paid a big chunk of change for, I was not happy. When I complained tho, basically got the eyes rolled at me and gave up after a bit bc felt like I was being too finicky & pedantic, but for me, it's the little things..

We were impressed that Jayco did cover a couple of things when the van was about 3 mths out of warranty, & I wasn't expecting them to, so very happy to give HQ all credit for that, bc no hassle & no qns asked.
Definitely agree on the 2-3 year warranty because we've just returned from a week long adventure during which we could smell gas in the van off and on. Kept it off as much as we could, windows open, stayed out as much as possible until we could get to repairer, which was yesterday.
He rang this morning reporting that the gas plumber cannot believe anyone survived sleeping in the van bc of the leak, source of which was apparently a cracked nut underneath the oven. Gas guy insists it was a dodgy installation issue & that he's never seen anything like it. Was apparently speechless for quite some time. (Maybe he's not normally a talker anyway.. never met him, so couldnt say).
Jayco's initial response when I called today is file reports, prove 1000km, 10K km services etc have been done, get gas plumber & auth repairer reports, photos etc, forward it all and we'll consider it in a couple of weeks when the Jayco team are all back from annual holidays.
Great.. But that's a whole lot of messing around and I'm still reeling from the fact that (quote:) 'you should all be dead right now'. Not helped by the fact that the 'you all' includes 7 year old kids who were other people's children along for the ride. How do you tell a parent that? 'He's ok, but next time you let him go caravanning with someone, just cause the van's regularly serviced doesn't mean it's safe..'
Anyway, regardless of outcome, point is, a 2-3 year warranty, and other families like ours that might also be lucky enough to survive such experiences, could get the issue fixed immediately and without all the rigmarole.

Joanne

Dec 10, 2013
Adelaide
Hey Jaypanda, Interested to hear how you got along with your warranty repairs. Our Starcraft Outback is due for its first service and we are getting some warranty work done. Did you also know that Cararest is also a warranty agent.

Jo

Greg

May 31, 2012
Blacksmiths NSW
I think the Jayco dealers use untrained people to fix repairs, as I've found out the hard and frustrating way, Burnsey recommended a caravan repairer to me that has nothing to do with selling vans, his business is repairs, I will use them from now on if I cant fix the problem myself.
Greg

Reactions: Burnsy

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Hey Jaypanda, Interested to hear how you got along with your warranty repairs. Our Starcraft Outback is due for its first service and we are getting some warranty work done. Did you also know that Cararest is also a warranty agent.

Jo
Had questionable work done from them in the past

Reactions: Joanne

Joanne

Dec 10, 2013
Adelaide
It is really hard here in Adelaide to get good warranty work done. We are on our 4th Jayco and have been reasonably happy with Jayco in Adelaide and they have looked after us with the Sales side but warranty work wise can be a bit of a pain. We have a couple of minor issues this time so will be interesting to see how they are dealt with.

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
In an earlier discussion I mentioned the table coming away from the wall in our 17.56-1 OB. Well, we took it down to Australian Caravans to have it repaired and some other issues dealt with as well.
We picked it up and they showed us the repairs, which appeared to have been done....until we took it away for a 5 day holiday. Surprise, surprise, the table began to come loose off the wall on one side again. When we looked closer, we noticed that instead of fixing the problem properly, they just super-glued the plastic clip to the wall. We tried to tighten the screws, but of course they wouldn't tighten because they hadn't actually really fixed it. Now there are bits of grey plastic clip stuck to the wall>:(.

We also had a steel strip dropping down from underneath the van on the front corner, door side, just under the tunnel boot. It opens up, sometimes over 1cm, when you are on a slope, but closes to about 2mm when you are on level ground. And guess what their solution was? To cover it with thick black silicone so we couldn't see it....but of course the gap has opened up again. Feeling pretty furious to say the least>:(>:(>:(! They say it's not structural, but considering it is supposed to be bolted on securely and holding the front corner of the van, it is pretty concerning....especially as we bought the Outback hoping to go on secondary roads at the very least.

We are still happy with our van, it's comfortable and has plenty of room for our large family, but we just find the dodgy repairs so frustrating. Has anyone else had similar problems? I have been told by some other Jayco owners that you just have to keep fighting for repairs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Is the steel strip you are talking about on the front corner of the wall at the bottom ?
if it is it's caused by the chassis flexing, the wall is held to the chassis by what we call a Z frame, when they make the walls it's a composite construction of ply on the inside, foam and then fibreglass on the ouside, this is reinforced around the outside and openings with a alloy frame. when the wall is fastened to the frame they screw it from the back and bottom to the Z frame, sometimes when this is screwed on they actually pull the alloy frame out of the wall by doing the bottom screws first, the chassis should also be stringlined as well to get it sitting right. it's more common in single axle vans and then mainly on the road side as the main door opening can flex and hide the problem.
I've repaired these by .......... replacing the wall, not a 5 minute job it's about 20hours per wall. mind you the last one i did it took 3 goes before the factory sent the right wall!
trot on over to us and we will fix it properly :)

Reactions: jvp and Bmhdg76

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
We have bought two new and two near-new Jaycos and our observation is that quality control appears to be non-existent. All of the problems detected in the first 12 months have been fixed satisfactorily under warranty but other problems tend to appear outside warranty such that I believe the warranty should be 2-3 years like new cars, not 12 months.

@DroversDog the 12 month warranty is not the limit under Australian law. The dealer you purchased the van from (yes the dealer, not Jayco) are responsible warrant the goods for what is expected to be a reasonable time. For a caravan that could be reasonably expected to have a lifetime of 10-20 years, they have a pretty long term responsibility.

http://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/consumer-guarantees