Shonky warranty repairs

Jaypanda

Apr 22, 2013
Adelaide
In an earlier discussion I mentioned the table coming away from the wall in our 17.56-1 OB. Well, we took it down to Australian Caravans to have it repaired and some other issues dealt with as well.
We picked it up and they showed us the repairs, which appeared to have been done....until we took it away for a 5 day holiday. Surprise, surprise, the table began to come loose off the wall on one side again. When we looked closer, we noticed that instead of fixing the problem properly, they just super-glued the plastic clip to the wall. We tried to tighten the screws, but of course they wouldn't tighten because they hadn't actually really fixed it. Now there are bits of grey plastic clip stuck to the wall>:(.

We also had a steel strip dropping down from underneath the van on the front corner, door side, just under the tunnel boot. It opens up, sometimes over 1cm, when you are on a slope, but closes to about 2mm when you are on level ground. And guess what their solution was? To cover it with thick black silicone so we couldn't see it....but of course the gap has opened up again. Feeling pretty furious to say the least>:(>:(>:(! They say it's not structural, but considering it is supposed to be bolted on securely and holding the front corner of the van, it is pretty concerning....especially as we bought the Outback hoping to go on secondary roads at the very least.

We are still happy with our van, it's comfortable and has plenty of room for our large family, but we just find the dodgy repairs so frustrating. Has anyone else had similar problems? I have been told by some other Jayco owners that you just have to keep fighting for repairs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hi @Jaypanda
Yes have certainly had issues with warranty claims. I would recommend finding a service agent that is not also a Jayco sales agent. Also look for a service agent that does not actually sell vans if there is one there. I was recommended a service agent up here that does not sell caravans but purely does van restorations and repairs. So in my books, their main source of income is restorations and alterations and they get their work by word of mouth from doing good warranty work. :) And their work was fantastic. :) Shame for you is that they are on the gold coast so probably no good for your work.

However, if you don't have this as an option then keep at them and it will eventually get fixed properly. The issue here is just how many times you need to tow your van to them.

Cheers
Ants

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Sorry to hear mate, just take some pics, email with your concerns and eventually the problems will be fixed.....even if it means going through HQ! I went through a independent repairer the second time around and was very happy with the job.

Jaypanda

Apr 22, 2013
Adelaide
It is a pain towing it down to them, but thankfully it is not too far from us. I took photos the first time round, and will do it again.. Seem to have better lucky emailing them than calling. Thanks @Antman and @Burnsy

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
You've got me worried now Jaypanda, I can accept that some things can go wrong but when they won't repair it in an honest manner makes my blood boil :mad2: Trouble is we don't have a great deal of competition here in little old Adelaide.

Jaypanda

Apr 22, 2013
Adelaide
That's just it @Wanda. We can't understand why they dont just fix it right the first time. I'm suspecting they think we will get sick of towing it down to them....but we will keep persisting no matter how many trips to them it takes.

Reactions: Wanda

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
I know its a pain taking it back but you must do it and dont take it back until you are happy , they stuffed up a few claims i had and told them i was not happy jan and they even offered to tow the van back to my place in the hills which they did and repairs were all done properly

Reactions: The Wadamses

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Warranty work can be a pain,if you want a good warranty agent in SA, try Gawler Caravans, they may be further to go to get the work done, however, they do the work properly first time. This is just my opinion.

Reactions: Wanda

Salz

Feb 27, 2013
Para Hills SA
Can understand your frustration and annoyance Jaypanda, we also have had unsatisfactory experiences with Australian Caravans. Promised warranty work would be done by a certain time/day only to find that had not been completed, parts told where in stock and then had to wait up to 6 weeks for delivery and installation. Whilst all our warranty work appears to have been completed, ACC's after sales service especially with regards to promises and communication leaves a lot to be desired. We as Crackacoldie does will be taking our van to Gawler from now on!! Cheers Salz

Reactions: Jaypanda

Jaypanda

Apr 22, 2013
Adelaide
@Salz and @crackacoldie looks like I'll have to have a look into Gawler then, although it is a seriously long way from us. Is that the only service agent in SA apart from ACC and Mt Gambier? When I google it ACC and stuff interstate is all that comes up.
Will get on to emailing HQ now @Xpandafan and @Antman . Might save a bit of stuffing around as we really can't trust ACC repairs>:(

DroversDog

Sep 8, 2013
Brisbane
We have bought two new and two near-new Jaycos and our observation is that quality control appears to be non-existent. All of the problems detected in the first 12 months have been fixed satisfactorily under warranty but other problems tend to appear outside warranty such that I believe the warranty should be 2-3 years like new cars, not 12 months.

Reactions: Jaypanda

Stan Lee

Aug 29, 2012
rAdelaide
www.expandasdownunder.com
@Salz and @crackacoldie looks like I'll have to have a look into Gawler then, although it is a seriously long way from us. Is that the only service agent in SA apart from ACC and Mt Gambier? When I google it ACC and stuff interstate is all that comes up.
Will get on to emailing HQ now @Xpandafan and @Antman . Might save a bit of stuffing around as we really can't trust ACC repairs>:(

I'd b interested to hear of other repairers i rAdelaide!! Dario's? Andvthere is one at Lonsdale as well. Any feedback??

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
There is also Dario at St Mary's, Mike Griggs at Windsor Gardens and cararest at Kilburn. Not had a lot to do with any of these though.

Jaypanda

Apr 22, 2013
Adelaide
We have bought two new and two near-new Jaycos and our observation is that quality control appears to be non-existent. All of the problems detected in the first 12 months have been fixed satisfactorily under warranty but other problems tend to appear outside warranty such that I believe the warranty should be 2-3 years like new cars, not 12 months.
The layouts of the Jaycos are great for a large family like ours....just such a shame about the quality