Journey Shed some light on my external light

Just the two of us

Mar 19, 2023
Umina Beach, NSW
We own a 2017 Journey DX Touring for which we have done (and continue to do) some tasteful mods. One on the extensive "to-do" list is to address the external oval dome light as it (a) omits a pretty weak light and (b) the white light is a mossie-magnet.

The to-do list seeks to change to a brighter non-mossie attracting light. Utopia would be a light that toggles between white a yellow-ish.

Would prefer not to do a complete replacement, ideally upgrading what's already there. As yet have not removed the cover of the light to see what's underneath. Prefer to know my options before taking a scalpel to the silicon that surrounds the cover.

Google searches have been overwhelming, difficult to sort through fact-fiction-futile. Hoping this forum brains-trust can give me some sage advice.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Throw a pic up of the light.

The earlier ones with a clear lens as a half moon were a pain to get off, at least mine was but the later model is a Narva I think and the lens panel unclips off so you can get at a couple of screws which hold it on, as for adding an extra light would depend on the wiring run on the other side if you can get at it and the switch, just watch the wiring as its easy to unplug it by accident and may not be easy to reconnect if its buried in the wall.................

I ended up stickiing a led strip along the wall, worked way better, less bugs but I found hanging a small 12v fluro off the tug kept the bugs away better than any yellow/orange/blue light.

Just the two of us

Mar 19, 2023
Umina Beach, NSW
Throw a pic up of the light.

The earlier ones with a clear lens as a half moon were a pain to get off, at least mine was but the later model is a Narva I think and the lens panel unclips off so you can get at a couple of screws which hold it on, as for adding an extra light would depend on the wiring run on the other side if you can get at it and the switch, just watch the wiring as its easy to unplug it by accident and may not be easy to reconnect if its buried in the wall.................

I ended up stickiing a led strip along the wall, worked way better, less bugs but I found hanging a small 12v fluro off the tug kept the bugs away better than any yellow/orange/blue light.
Thanks for the interest Drover. Some pics below, Came across a possible replacement on Ebay that runs at 8watt. Advantage is its switching between white and amber Would this be a suitable replacement?
8W 287mm Dual LED Awning Light 12V 24V Amber IP67 Waterproof Caravan Exterior | eBay

Attachments

• Light 6.jpg
    Light 6.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Light 5.jpg
    Light 5.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Light 4.jpg
    Light 4.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Light 3.jpg
    Light 3.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Light 2.jpg
    Light 2.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 94
  • Light 1.jpg
    Light 1.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 101

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That looks like the led version of the mongel bulb job I had on the old Tardis, I can't really see any drama with the Ebay job, just watch when you pull the cable from the wall, be gentle so you don't unplug the thing before you get it out....... let us know if the bugs stay away..............

Welcome to the mob as well, been a bit quite here lately but have a look around, pretty friendly mob with lots of laughs............ No stupid questions here , possible stupid answers but get involved, we don;t go for the stuff other blogs seem to relish.

Just the two of us

Mar 19, 2023
Umina Beach, NSW
To close this out attached are before and after pics. Bought the replacement light off EBay for under $30 and was not overly confident that the new light would be a success. Thankfully, the co-pilot and I are very happy with the outcome which took about 30 mins to complete. When switched to white there is now sufficient light to cook and read by; and the orange light so far has not attracted bugs but, then again, it's not bug season - summer will be the test.

A side benefit is that if in a crowded caravan park it's now easy to locate my van... just look for the awning glowing orange.:) That said had my fair share of "bugs" after the first night when fellow vanners came by to make commentary on our orange glow.

Drovers tip to avoid losing power wire into the cavity was spot-on. Clamping the wires saved the wires from disappearing into the abyss.

Attachments

• Orinigal.jpg
    Orinigal.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 94
  • New White Wide.jpg
    New White Wide.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 80
  • New Orange Wide.jpg
    New Orange Wide.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 86
  • New Orange.jpg
    New Orange.jpg