security options

S&k

Jan 27, 2014
Cairns
What are people using for security on their vans if they are left on drive ways or front yards. Ive been looking at wheel clamps,gps trackers, alarms and hitch locks. Are there any better options for those with minimal storage facilities.?

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi @S&k
We have a tow ball lock , but that will just be a minor inconvenience for em, I also installed a GPS Tracker tucked discreetly away. I set it up with a Geo-fence of about 500m so if it moved it sends me a txt. Also let's me know if power is cut. There has been conjecture on here regarding advertising the fact it has gps tracking via stickers, given that it may serve as a deterrent, I'm in the camp of no advertising the fact on the van, so they don't go looking for it and just ring the boys in blue and tell them where it is.

HM

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
I use a Klampit wheel clamp and a tow ball cop. The klampit is for visual effect only as I could have it off with a cordless grinder in less then 30 seconds. The ball cop makes it very hard to steal as it is near impossible to get out. http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2562

With my locks on, heavy duty cover on and stabilizer legs down, it would take time and noise to steal it and I hope some one would notice. My dogs would also be going ballistic!

One thing I am considering is changing to a mchitch. Just because not everyone has this type of hitch and makes it a little harder to tow away if they did manage to get all the locks off.

I do have a tracker that I could pull out of my boat if required but I have not done this yet.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
What are people using for security on their vans if they are left on drive ways or front yards. Ive been looking at wheel clamps,gps trackers, alarms and hitch locks. Are there any better options for those with minimal storage facilities.?

I reckon the trackers are good and anything you can come up with "out of the norm" that would stump the mongrels. The problem with hitch locks etc especially in open areas is it gives them plenty of time to work away around. And if remote enough battery angle grinders will make short work of most locks quality or not.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Ball cops and other coupling clamps are good (i have one) but be aware that the crooks will often just hook up on a stolen vehicle using the chains and not bother about the hitch.
I also have a heavy duty chain between wheels. Legs down and cover on helps waste there time.

I have been thinking about some bollards

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Was chatting to next door neighbour, his mates van had hitch lock they chained it to the bumper.
He setup the brakes to come on after 2 mins unless you hit s switch somewhere, neighbours rang him said your vans down the street with a bumper attached.
Not sure what he did to get the brakes to come on seems a good idea, we have the big gates up now, will put a hitch lock and a chain..no I trust no one.

Reactions: relgate

rodney

Apr 23, 2014
Pull the brake away switch and put a tow ball lock in my chains are removable just to stop that too at the old place I had it so the chains locked into a plate which I had concreted into the ground with the patio they cut the chains and the lock off the hitch lock

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
image.jpg

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
Padlocks cut pretty easy, but square ones make it a little harder, not to much space to get the bolt cutters onto.
At the end of the day if they want it they will get, just got to make it harder, and hope they get caught in the act.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Plenty of good suggestions here, but can I add one that might mess with their minds and have them consider going elsewhere but is still easy to overcome. It's something that was done in my earlier apprentice days, to us or by us, to peoples tool boxes. You need to have a suitable steel structure next to something that is attached to the van permanently and can take a large bolt. Take one large diameter bolt and cut off about 20mm of thread and place into nut by a couple of threads and place one or two spot welds to lock them together. Pass bolt through both brackets and place welded nut, with some Loctite, on to end of bolt and tighten as hard as you can. Haven't seen it fail for the victim to spend ample time trying to cut off bolt with hacksaw only to be shown later the easy way. This was done in days prior to fun being outlawed in the workplace. Of course I never did this.