17' Series Running on 12V

Nolas

Dec 8, 2015
Helensburgh
Hi guys, just wondering what everyone does when free camping / unpowered sites re: appliances. I have small kids and really prefer to run microwave, toaster and kettle if possible, would an inverter be the best option or are 12v appliances the go? Thanks :)

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
I think you will need an inverter, but am not sure. As for the kettle, I've got 2. One electric and one old fashioned stove top one. I've also cooked toast on the stove. Just butter one side and put it on a frypan, flip when the right colour. Kids loved it when i did it that way, they couldn't stop laughing.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@Nolas when off grid the microwave and air-con are run from a gennie if needed. We do have a small inverter for charging the laptops if required. Everything else is either run on 12V or gas. Cooking is done in a weber or on a single burner gas cooker!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Re toast, we just pull out the old open fire toaster rig.

If you want to run a Nukavator, toaster and electric kettle then a Genny is needed as the cost for panels, batteries and inverters to provide plenty of juice will be heapsof $$$.
They wouldn't run them anyway.

Reactions: Delano and dagree

Where to next

Aug 25, 2015
Melbourne
Hi @Nolas, as @Drover has said a generator is your best option. I have a wife that needs her toast in the morning and kids that can't (won't) eat their breakfast without having it nuked in the microwave. I looked at the option of inverters but with the cost of extra solar panels and batteries, it was not feasible. Not to mention it most likely would not run the microwave anyway. If you do go for the option of a generator you would want to go for a 2kva. It will be able to run most things that you will ever need to run.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Kettle...on gas stove
Toast...on gas stove and frypan
All other cooking on gas or a Weber
Never used microwave.

So no need for generator and solar keeps battery charged so toys can charge easily in daytime.

Can't stand generators but that's a personal preference...just can't see the need for them.

willobee

Apr 8, 2015
Perth
Agree with all above.
2kva will run my microwave but I choose not to most of the time.
Toast on stove on one of those wire things.
Kettle on the gas.
Have no knowledge of those appliances as 12 volt

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Had a 12v oven in truck, put pie in at morning smoko, nice thawed and hot for lunch........don't leave on all night or truck won't work.

12v TV, charge phones, tablet and laptop on 12v o ly need inverter for asthma machine.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
We use both toaster and kettle on the gas stove, and cook in the weber and on the stove.

Have a 5.5kva genny if we really need the a/c microwave or washing machine, but rarely
primus toaster.jpg
gas kettle.jpg
actually fire it up.

primus toaster.jpg
gas kettle.jpg
gs3500x_ab.png

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
If we need to use the air conditioner, and have needed it badly at times, we move to somewhere with power.

12v fans work ok and open windows work even better we find.

Then we can use the microwave but only rarely.

I reckon carrying a generator with fuel is yet another thing to pack in and lift. The expense and inconvenience can be avoided.

But, then again, it's what floats your boat.

I have yet to see someone with a generator which is quiet enough not to intrude on someone camped relatively close by. I've seen them used often in national parks which have clear signs, banning them.

If we free camp and see a generator set up, we move on.

Maxisverymad

Jun 23, 2015
Tawonga Vic
Must agree with Dobbie, it's what's floats people's boats.
We don't use a generator camping because we are out in the bush to get away from noise and mod cons, this makes our camping a lot more enjoyable and along with solar power and gas you can live for a long time in one spot if required.
I have a generator at home for when our power goes out, as we live on a dead end line and it's very low priority to get back on, this is what generators are good for!

Reactions: Drover

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Yep.

We had a generator at home for years. When we really needed it, after a storm took out power for four days, the damn thing wouldn't start.

We'd checked it, started it and tested it for years but when we actually needed it, no go.

Been a bit jaded with the idea of generators since and certainly don't want to carry one.

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
I think it would be cheaper to buy a inverter and then buy $20 appliances from Big W, than to go out and buy 12v appliances from a specialty store. You will need the solar and batteries to go with it though, what do you have?

As a example I have 200amps of lithium, 780watts of solar and a 3000watt inverter. With that I run the hotplate on the stove, coffee machine, toaster, mixer, 215l compressor fridge and the hot water heater (only just though as it takes 2/3rds of my battery power)

The old man has 800amps of lithium, 1500watts of solar and a 6000watt inverter. He can run anything he wants, including his split system A/C.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Wow, I wish I had the cheque book to buy that much power..........................I'll just be an annoying bugger and run my gennie if I need it and since when free camping I don't park near anyone they shouldn't have parked close to me to hear it.

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
Hand over $7k and you will get some pocket change. Then you need the solar setup and the inverter.:) you pay to play

Reactions: Drover

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I just peel lots of prawns and then ask loudly if there's a rubbish bin anywhere? Then put them in a pile, with Gideon bibles underneath for height, and say " oh well, I'll have to leave them out here"

Then turn on the church music and put through the external speakers.

PhilD .... I think we are destined to never camp near you. We'd run out of bibles!