17' Series "Routine Caravan Safety Inspection"?

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
On the weekend I was driving my Territory with the van when I was stopped for a "routine caravan safety inspection". Routine? I've been towing vans for a comparatively short time, 6 years, but I've never had this before.

Anyway, I'm not one to argue with the police who in general do a good job. My van is regularly serviced and only recently had the bushes and bearings replaced. I operate safely! Nothing to worry about.

So, the inspection starts.....a quick look at the couplings to see that all is in order, no look under the van....a question as to why I don't have the hub covers on.....because I can't tighten the wheel nuts without taking them off....good one Jayco, plus you can't feel if the bearings are getting hot. No check of the breakaway battery, even though I'd lifted the seat to access it for him. So a pretty slack safety inspection........now to the real reason.....I suspect.

He then proceeded to look in every drawer, cupboard, fridge, nook and cranny of the van. I'm a retired army officer and a medically retired airline captain.......I honestly don't look like a crack dealer. When I asked what he was searching for, he became quite arrogant and borderline aggressive stating that it wasn't a search, it was a safety inspection. After about 15 minutes, he gave up and told me that I was towing illegally! Why? Because a Territory can't tow a van this heavy!

My van has a Tare of 1800 kg. I had minimal equipment, about 50 litres of water in tanks and food and clothes for 1 night for my wife, who was driving up to meet me later, and myself. I estimate an all up weight of 1900 kg, 1950 max! ATM is 2280 kg, car is 2300kg, I weigh 1900 kg......all this I point out! Oh no, he thinks that the Terry is 1500 kg. I point out that I have the Hayman Reese kit, produce my manuals etc.....all to no avail. At this point, along comes a police car with another police officer, this one with more rank, who gets involved. I point all this out.......he agrees! Original policeman gets back on his bike and strops off.....leaving me with sensible policeman. I outlined that I felt that I had been searched under the guise of a safety inspection. He said that a single man towing a caravan was suspicious! Why? Anyway......went on my way and enjoyed the weekend.

I really felt this wasn't on. I've been searched by the quarantine officers at the SA border plenty of times, happy to comply, it's for a good reason. Was he just too lazy to get the proper paperwork? Probably. I have zero points on my licence, that's a miracle, and no criminal record. I have telephoned the police station in the area and received an verbal apology from a Superintendent who said he was concerned and shocked at what I relayed to him and he would look into it. He did also say that they did have issues with drug transportation and that criminals were using caravans......he said I had just been unfortunate to have encountered someone who didn't act correctly. He thanked me for my cooperation and patience etc.

Anyway......just something to be aware of.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Be interesting if he had wrote a ticket out..............................I had a look at the Territory specs and was surprised they only have 2300 or 2700kg tow rating I would have thought the diesel at least would be a comparo to my Jeep at 3500kg, mine you I don't think I would like to drag 3500kg behind it.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Yep.....they handle 2300 kg easily. The engine is from the Disco 3 Landy.

2300 RWD, 2700 AWD. 230 & 270 ball weight respectively.

I think he was just annoyed that he didn't find anything......he didn't ask for my drivers license, do a breathe test etc. Just a kid who didn't like being wrong I think, not that I told him that. His attitude and demeanour changed when I asked what he was looking for etc. I told him to search away, nothing to hide etc. Only drugs I carry are beer, wine and prescription meds.....coffee, tea too I suppose. I told where I was going and for what purpose. Very odd!

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
What state was he from?

Inside opening fridge and cupboards??? He's really stretching the term of 'reasonable suspicion'. I would've told him where the nearest Jayco dealer was if he wanted to check out the van.

Unfortunately Highway Police is the face of the Police Force and most of those officers are strange individuals.

Reactions: yabbietol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Actually when I have been pulled over ( in heavy vehicles) they have always asked permission to search first, so I think he was on shaky ground. All in all I still help the coppers when I can.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
I understand the frustration, particularly when an officer doesn't actually know the law. I think you were right though in your suspicion of a search under the guise of a safety inspection. I read an article, and for the life of me I cannot remember where, but caravans are now being used to run drugs across States, generally honest people use the. For holidays and they generally have not been stopped or questioned.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Yep.....they handle 2300 kg easily. The engine is from the Disco 3 Landy.

2300 RWD, 2700 AWD. 230 & 270 ball weight respectively.

I think he was just annoyed that he didn't find anything......he didn't ask for my drivers license, do a breathe test etc. Just a kid who didn't like being wrong I think, not that I told him that. His attitude and demeanour changed when I asked what he was looking for etc. I told him to search away, nothing to hide etc. Only drugs I carry are beer, wine and prescription meds.....coffee, tea too I suppose. I told where I was going and for what purpose. Very odd!

I think you have been treated very poorly and should complain to the relevant Police Minister. Give as many details as such as the location of the incident and if possible include the name of the Superintendent who apologised, his apology should be in writing not by phone.

I would like to make some suggestions that can take some courage to follow.
1. Always remain polite and respectful most police are just doing their job
2. Show licence and submit to random breath test if requested, exit vehicle if requested.
3. Facilitate any outside examination of your vehicle and caravan.
4. Do not allow entry to the van unless the officer can explain why this is required and you think this is reasonable.
5. If you are required to exit your vehicle get a notebook and make notes of the officers actions also if possible take photos of his or hers activities (modern phones are good for this) at the point of exiting you vehicle it is a good idea to ask for their identification (this will be a photo ID or warrant card depending on which state) and make sure you write their details down correctly, be careful about photographing their ID without their agreement as this may get them excited.
6. If they still request entry to your van, request a more senior officer of at least sergeant rank or higher be present, do not forget to sight the more senior officers ID and take down their details.
7. Do not allow them unaccompanied access to the inside of your van, make sure you accompany them and document any places they search. Taking more photos is a good idea.
8. If you do not want them to enter your van say no. If they insist the next step and you still say no, is a real escalation and should only be undertaken if you are prepared to go to court. Refuse them entry and insist they arrest you and ask for the charge to be explained. Cooperate and do not get angry, just document everything. This step will only occur if they have reasonable grounds on which to arrest you, if you give them no excuse by been cooperative, but firm they will almost certainly back off (unless you have a criminal record). There is a risk they may not back off and hence you could end up in court.
9. Police are not entitled to enter or search your home with out your consent, except in very limited circumstances. Your van is your home.

Hopefully no reasonable police officer will ever go beyond 3 and maybe 4 in some isolated situations. Documentation is your friend so always make notes and take photos they will help you manage the situation and if required later make a complaint to the Police Minister if in your own state via your State or Territory local member. If not your state complain directly to the local Police Ministers office.

Police generally do a good job and it is a hard job, but this gives them no right to be aggressive or rude to law abiding members of the public.
Always be polite, but firm and clear and you should be OK.

Last edited: