Roof lighting problem

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hi All
Ever since picking up the new expanda I have had concerns with the light above the sink in the roof.
Up to this weekend the light demonstrated signs of poor connection somewhere. And then this weekend whilst we are away, the light has stopped working all together.:frusty:

So I pulled the light out completely, got to the wires coming out of the roof and ran a multimeter across the wires and no 12volts. So I then worked my way through the overhead cupboards close by hoping to find the other end of the cable connected with another light. No good.

So unless someone else has an idea as to how I can find the other end of the cable in the roof I am resigning myself to adding this one to the list of warranty work Jayco will need to sort out.

Any ideas?

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
G'day Brad, I would assume the ceiling lights are wired in parallel, try taking down the other ceiling lights and see if the wires go to there. Maybe the wires have come loose there or possibly a break in wire which you can also check with meter. Good luck!

Cheers.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Is that light individually powered perhaps check fuse panel. though given you mention signs of poor connection,afraid to say that could be burnt wiring was on its way out.we had a pinched wire going up with tent section to poptop that cause me an wiring issue.goodluck.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Ok so now I am completely confused......
By the door is a switch that I thought was a master cut off switch for all the lights when using 12volt power.
This week we are in a caravan park and connected to the mains power. Thus that master cut off switch is off.
Every other light works with that switch off.
This one light however, is not working without turning that switch on.
What is going on?????

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Sounds a bit weird mate, in our 16' that switch was only for the ceiling lights, all other lights worked. So your saying that your other ceiling lights work with that switch off, and it's only switching that one ceiling light?

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Yep that is correct Burnsy.
Can someone who has purchased a 2012 expanda flick that switch beside the door and tell me what happens?

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
oh, that has put a spin on things now, waiting outcome, surely some else is playing with their van today that could answer Brad (and everyone else's curiosity).cheers.

So Brad how's your time away going besides this light issue?. Which park did you pull into?

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Well I have ended up going through every light thinking I had a short in the wiring today.
It just seems crazy that the switch by the door only controls a single light.
I hope that this is a Jayco fault and not the way the new 2012 expandas have been built.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi Brad
I have a 17.56.2
The light near the door works as a master on/off for my 3 ceiling lights. It does not control the bed end lights. Does this answer your question? It's just outside if you need me to check anything else

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Maybe its like a courtesy light for when you get home after dark?

Our 16 also has a master switch for the roof lights probably like your old 16 more as a safety switch as its a pop top and it cuts power supply to the roof when its lowered.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Nope that is enough for me thanks relgate.
I just wanted some feedback from anyone else with a 2012 expanda.
This one goes down on the warranty list. I can't even begin to think how Jayco will go about connecting the missing lights to the master switch.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Maybe its like a courtesy light for when you get home after dark?

Our 16 also has a master switch for the roof lights probably like your old 16 more as a safety switch as its a pop top and it cuts power supply to the roof when its lowered.
Yep that makes sense cruza. I wonder if the full height vans are all like this.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I'm not sure Brad but hopefully you get it sorted and as you mentioned I wonder what would be involved to rectify your problem if there is one?

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Hi Brad. My 2008 switch at the door is only connected with the middle light in a way that if you turn the light on at the light itself, you can turn it off at the door and vice versa. All the other lights operate at the lamp switches only. Had me baffled fore a few days, and changing globes. Mind you Jayco's had another three years to work out new ways to turn your hair grey.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Mine also controls all three roof lights, not a single on. Its the first thing we turn on after power is connected so we know we've got power or not

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Mine also controls all three roof lights, not a single on. Its the first thing we turn on after power is connected so we know we've got power or not

G'day SD. Do you have a battery in your van? The switch just inside the door does turn on all the ceiling lights at once but it does so whether 240 is connected or not as they just run off the internal battery. My way of checking for power is whether the microwave dial lights up.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
No we don't have a battery at the moment, so turning it on tells us. I can sometime hear the microwave beep as it turns on, but may depend on how loud the kids are fighting :)

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Bit of a rebirth here, but I'm having trouble getting the ceiling lights on my 2012 17.56.2 OB working. They were working fine on the inspections, I'm guessing it's just an issue with the switch combination. We have a Redarc panel to power the battery also.

I do know that power is in the van as the range hood turns on (although I didn't see the light).

Hi all,
Thanks for digging up an old thread Smergen. I am on here to find out info aswell and this thread popped up.
On our 17.56.2 2013 model the light on the roof near the bunk bed and the bathroom light were working last trip at Easter, but only just, with very little light output.
I opened the van today to do some mods and now they don't work at all anymore. It has the LED white and blue combination, and neither work.
All other lights work fine, battery is fully charged.
I haven't tried it on 240v yet, but I'd imagine if they don't work on 12v then 240v won't change a thing.

@Brad - Did you work out what was wrong or happen to get a fix from Jayco for yours?

Last edited: