17' Series Rollout Awning

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you check out caravansplus.com.au they have an instruction sheet on replacement awnings, most awning replacement places do.....

First off you need to remove the grub screws in the awning track so you can slide the awning out.... then put a split pin or nail in the hole on the LH end of awning barrel, undo the screw holding the end cap to the top of the arm, then lift barrel off arms and walk awning out from the sail trak... To replace its all done inreverse, give the sail trak a squirt of silicon to make things slide easier, once you have the awning in the trak and the end caps on the arms all screwed down, pull the locking pin then open and close the awning gently a few times, if it rolls uneven on barrel then move it a fraction in the sail trak one way or other till it rolls up even then and only then fit the grub screws to hold the runner in place........... if you don't line it up square it will chew out..... it may not be in the same position as the previous one so don't worry.

You need a minimum of 2 people with a ladder each, for long awnings you will need a stage so you can walk the awning along............. mine is an 18ft job so I had a stage the length of van which joined up with my ute tray so we could walk the old one off and walk the new one on.........

I bought my last awning a genuine Carefree job from outbackequipment.com.au, a real shop in Brisbane, fast delivery and best of all saved about $350 from other places, a proper yank carefree awning not some chinese knock off ....... to date I have replaced or helped 3 awnings refits, its not hard if you follow the directions and should only take an hour, my last one took longer to set up and pack away the stage....

Reactions: Kane r

Kane r

Sep 20, 2022
Blue mountains
If you check out caravansplus.com.au they have an instruction sheet on replacement awnings, most awning replacement places do.....

First off you need to remove the grub screws in the awning track so you can slide the awning out.... then put a split pin or nail in the hole on the LH end of awning barrel, undo the screw holding the end cap to the top of the arm, then lift barrel off arms and walk awning out from the sail trak... To replace its all done inreverse, give the sail trak a squirt of silicon to make things slide easier, once you have the awning in the trak and the end caps on the arms all screwed down, pull the locking pin then open and close the awning gently a few times, if it rolls uneven on barrel then move it a fraction in the sail trak one way or other till it rolls up even then and only then fit the grub screws to hold the runner in place........... if you don't line it up square it will chew out..... it may not be in the same position as the previous one so don't worry.

You need a minimum of 2 people with a ladder each, for long awnings you will need a stage so you can walk the awning along............. mine is an 18ft job so I had a stage the length of van which joined up with my ute tray so we could walk the old one off and walk the new one on.........

I bought my last awning a genuine Carefree job from outbackequipment.com.au, a real shop in Brisbane, fast delivery and best of all saved about $350 from other places, a proper yank carefree awning not some chinese knock off ....... to date I have replaced or helped 3 awnings refits, its not hard if you follow the directions and should only take an hour, my last one took longer to set up and pack away the stage....
Thanks heaps mate that’s awesome I was reading a heap of stuff but it was all pull whole lot off and lay on flat ground but your way makes sense cheers

Reactions: chartrock

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thanks heaps mate that’s awesome I was reading a heap of stuff but it was all pull whole lot off and lay on flat ground but your way makes sense cheers

Thats probably if your going to just swap the awning fabric, far better to replace the whole lot barrel and fabric, replacing just fabric and like my neighbour it wasn't long till the barrel failed sow e had to pull the whole lot off again, try a repair which didn't work so then hunted down a 2nd hand barrel, in the end a whole new set up was cheaper..... just follow the guides for measureing.

Joelp

Oct 17, 2022
Nsw
@Drover sorry for the dumb question but do you install the new drum with the fabric fully unrolled and extended or as close to rolled up on the drum and as close to the van as possible?

Last edited: