Return of a true Vehicle...

Disco Duck

Dec 8, 2017
Adelaide South Australia
I did like the rule book from those day.......
Rule 1 : "Thou shalt not work on a Land Rover without a carton of beer or a flagon of wine....or....BOTH"
To be kinder to myself I took the speedo out and put a calendar in. They were never fast but they were reliable and would go where the others wouldn't and as Drover said, the others were happy to see a Landy coming to help.
I do feel sorry for people who never owned a Landy. You have no idea what you missed out on !!

At least we did some good for the country Crusty.............. rather than just driving past with the windows up, air conditioner on and a CD in the player :D:D

Reactions: Crusty181

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
I carried a good tool box and never used it on my Landy just the patrols and cruisers...when we come across foljs onthe teack with problems they were always happy to see a Landy, back then Landy drivers could drive and knew there way around tool box.....

Correct @Drover , Landies were basic and followed the KISS principal, and until the first petrol Nissan Patrols and Land Cruisers were available in 1965??? they were the only 4WDs available to the public. The military had Austin Champs, and larger Blitzs, Studibakers and GMCs . From what I remember, the Series II Landrover was being introduced to the military to replace the Austin champ in early 1963??? Memories in the services!!

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
I was in Cameroon Highlands ,Malaysia afew years ago,every Landrover made must go there to be rebirthed or die.Thousands around in paddocks wrecked ,4x4 tours use them ,plenty on the roads.Went on a so called Jeep tour by Landrover up a narrow gorge road,Got to the top and happened to look at a front tyre.Big split with the tube poking out,nothing wrong said the driver been like it for ages.The trip down was not nice!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The S2A was the one I wanted to restore, no plastic but it certainly wouldnt get the original engine put back in, disc brakesb 2 speed wipers a salsbury diff, with a 308 paired with a 400 auto and Dana TC , that was the dream but reality would be 308 and upgraded manual box...

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I drove a 40 at work and a G60 was the family hack, some scary moments in car parks with a 3 speed Nissan box and thinking your driving your work truck, reverse and first in same spot....

Last edited:
Reactions: Crusty181

Disco Duck

Dec 8, 2017
Adelaide South Australia
The S2A was the one I wanted to restore, no plastic but it certainly wouldnt get the original engine put back in, disc brakesb 2 speed wipers a salsbury diff, with a 308 paired with a 400 auto and Dana TC , that was the dream but reality would be 308 and upgraded manual box...

Yes Drover but then you have to change the diff centres to the Early model Range Rover diffs. They fit straight in but are geared up by 25%.

Disco Duck

Dec 8, 2017
Adelaide South Australia
I did drive an old 40 series Cruiser, and whilst I personally never required any genuine help, I can speak of behalf of ALL old Cruiser owners when I say we may have accepted and been grateful, but we were never ever happy about it. ;)

Yes Crusty !! I hear you :D:D
We did get bogged a few times but we always made sure there was another Land Rover to pull each other out. The worst thing in the world would have been having a Tojo pull us out. Heck.....we would never have heard the end of it.
I had a mate who owned a series 2 and we travelled all over the outback together. I think between us we had enough spare parts to build another Land Rover on the side of the road, because we didn't need help from some damn Toyota or Nissan driver LOL LOL
We followed most of the old Len Beadell tracks through outback SA and WA. Great trips and great memories. Miss it very much. I have photos of three different Land Rovers parked in front of the Birdsvill Hotel.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
The back then :) Mate has a vintage MG V8 hardtop so joined the MG club for his club plates.
He is the only one who can fix his own car. Even MG drivers now all go to the a real mechanic now.

I love an old series 3 just no where to put it.

@davemc , I don't know why you would want a Series 3 Landrover. They were the worst mistake the Army made , fortunately only a few were brought into service. The 6 cylinder came out in the early 70s if I recall, just when all that emission gear was added to strangle the engines. The Series 3 always ran hot in the field, and although pulled well (but only as well as the earlier Series 2!!) and just guzzled juice. And to make matters worse, that model only had the one 15 gallon fuel tank under the passenger seat. The second tank under the Driver's seat was never added like the Series 2 and we always seemed to be refuelling all the time during exercises . The next move was to the first Tojos for trial, but soon they all had massive "toe in" on the front wheels caused by obstacles coming in contact with the steering cross arm being low and unprotected (no bash plate). Yes, saw them all in various situations I can assure you!!

Reactions: davemc

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Mine had dual tanks, magic bit of gear for making the wallet lighter but were fantastic floatation devices for river crossings. Just didn't like the plastic dash, it was a junky set up. The seats went in th e bin straight away and I think a pair of 240Z seats went in (some sporty Nissan seats anyway).

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Other than its coming out here for testing and possible release 2022,reckon it will up there in cost, so won't see feel bum on its seat........ BUT never say never...

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Other than its coming out here for testing and possible release 2022,reckon it will up there in cost, so won't see feel bum on its seat........ BUT never say never...
The shape was just a suprising natural progression purely based on form following function, and apparently it just organically ended up like that. The most staggering aspect thus far is that not one single reviewer has said "holy cow, but that damn thing looks exactly like a Landrover". Im smelling a rat

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
BMW donk with the brilliant 8HP ZF auto should be a good combo...I will put my hand up to test it out...

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Model:Ineos Grenadier 3.0 D
Price:£50,000 (est)
Engine:3.0-litre 6cyl turbodiesel
Power/torque:246bhp/550Nm
Transmission:Eight-speed automatic, four-wheel-drive
Economy:N/A
CO2:N/A
On sale:2022

Reasonable specs on the engine outputs but reportedly detuned from its standard usage, so should leaves plenty of scope to pimp those specs up

Last edited:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Exciting vehicle and looks the goods. Just pray they make it internally bigger than the defender so 6ft men can fit comfortably without having to have the window down to hang out of :)

• Haha
Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Exciting vehicle and looks the goods. Just pray they make it internally bigger than the defender so 6ft men can fit comfortably without having to have the window down to hang out of :)

Never had that problem myself...............