Return of a true Vehicle...

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well with the demise of the Landy ( we don't count Disco's and Rangies) SIIA, SIII, 110's Defenders and the like are proper ones, this might just be filling the void.. Engine is nice, I know the gearbox is a winner and it looks stunning, might even knock the RAM off its first place in the Wish List................

The knockers will abound but being a Landy and Jeep owner its like water off a ducks back so don't waste your time................... one report I read said it would compare to a Merc G class, yep but they also said a Wrangler, well that just proved where their talking from, a Wrangler is a great yuppie truck but not in this class..............this will be a proper FWD..........

eptmobykdtnxf6xjke1i.jpg

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Well with the demise of the Landy ( we don't count Disco's and Rangies) SIIA, SIII, 110's Defenders and the like are proper ones, this might just be filling the void.. Engine is nice, I know the gearbox is a winner and it looks stunning, might even knock the RAM off its first place in the Wish List................

The knockers will abound but being a Landy and Jeep owner its like water off a ducks back so don't waste your time................... one report I read said it would compare to a Merc G class, yep but they also said a Wrangler, well that just proved where their talking from, a Wrangler is a great yuppie truck but not in this class..............this will be a proper FWD..........

eptmobykdtnxf6xjke1i.jpg

Tough looking machine @Drover. But is it "all show and no go"??

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Tough looking machine @Drover. But is it "all show and no go"??

Well we will have to wait and see but they have based it on a Defender, using a fine power plant (BMW) with an excellant gearbox (ZF 8 HP) and TC so I expect it will be pretty good, a real off roader for sure, I'll never be able to afford it but cheaper than a 1500 RAM by a small bit, certainly would drag a van around................Have to wait for the test drive and see if Mrs D approves, it must have a ride like a Rangie now, gone are the days when she would hurl the old Landy around the paddock......( We won't mention the FWD Gymkhana where she took out the prize)...................

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I registered with this project at the start, and theyve been annoyingly drip feeding non specific tantilising tit bits of info for what seems like years. Ive gotta say i was surprised when that Defender appeared, more surprised when no-one mentions the resemblance (notably including JLR and Tata), and ever more amused that the back story is the best 4x4 designed and built from the ground up ends up, just by coincidence looking exactly like an existing and well known design, the Defender .... and not a peep out of JLR or Tata.

Reactions: Disco Duck

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
JLR in UK did but lost, going by a report I read certainly does look like an old Defender then again the new Defender just looks like a Disco on steroids and doesn't have a chassis, in fact has gone yuppie..............be too bluddy expensive by the time it gets out here I suspect.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
JLR in UK did but lost, going by a report I read certainly does look like an old Defender then again the new Defender just looks like a Disco on steroids and doesn't have a chassis, in fact has gone yuppie..............be too bluddy expensive by the time it gets out here I suspect.
The price point in Aus will be crucial for success, because it will be pitched to rival its only real local market competition the LC70. Only a genuine nong would under estimate Toyota and the LC70s brand loyalty and almost cult like following. If they pitch it at a higher price the sales stats will be novelty only ... priced more than LC70, dont bother coming. We've had numerous contenders, the Y62 and G Wagon are really good examples for Ineos, truly awesome vehicles but they still didnt sell the the reasons are obvious. The Grenadier propaganda videos regarding the overall look just stink of cheap, shallow horse excrement. If that Grenadier isnt a backroom collaboration with JLR, ill drop my dacks (not a big sacrifice, i know. Maybe just setting up another opportunity ;) )

I truly hope they do very very well, we need a really do need a genuine rival to broader that market

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
More than likely correct "El Crusty Con" , Toyota started about 50 yrs ago and stuck to a good thing with the Troopy, corrugated sides was the winner I thought unlike Landrover which while they improved the engine and body they lost out because of bad management and they lost the plot of the core Landrover.......... like all the others it will have electronic sensors everywhere which mean problems...

It would really be a miracle if it made a heap of sales I think, like to be proved wrong for while the G Wagon gets good reviews not that many from real users, I know the Green blokes I talk to here aren't impressed, we have them at the nearby exercise area so see all the Army toys..

Reactions: Crusty181

Johnanbev

Jul 7, 2013
Sunbury VIC.
The price point in Aus will be crucial for success, because it will be pitched to rival its only real local market competition the LC70. Only a genuine nong would under estimate Toyota and the LC70s brand loyalty and almost cult like following. If they pitch it at a higher price the sales stats will be novelty only ... priced more than LC70, dont bother coming. We've had numerous contenders, the Y62 and G Wagon are really good examples for Ineos, truly awesome vehicles but they still didnt sell the the reasons are obvious. The Grenadier propaganda videos regarding the overall look just stink of cheap, shallow horse excrement. If that Grenadier isnt a backroom collaboration with JLR, ill drop my dacks (not a big sacrifice, i know. Maybe just setting up another opportunity ;) )

I truly hope they do very very well, we need a really do need a genuine rival to broader that market
Just north of $80,000 AUD

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh yes, mine never let me down and just great memories, no worrying about some stupid sensor just drive the damn thing.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Land Rovers opened this country..................as well as a lot of other countries.
Our family had Land Rovers for many years, my first ride was a series 1 in 1956 in Kenya

View attachment 65409
Is that because when they broke down, and the occupants were forced to stay so long they inevitably built communities to make the long wait for parts more comfortable ??? Is that pic a sneak look at the new line up.

(funny how Land Rover people used to put their rego plates on backwards, is that so they are the right way around in the mirrors of the cars in front) :boink:

Johnanbev

Jul 7, 2013
Sunbury VIC.
Is that because when they broke down, and the occupants were forced to stay so long they inevitably built communities to make the long wait for parts more comfortable ??? Is that pic a sneak look at the new line up.

(funny how Land Rover people used to put their rego plates on backwards, is that so they are the right way around in the mirrors of the cars in front) :boink:
Fun fixing that "F"shape engine, I don't think!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I carried a good tool box and never used it on my Landy just the patrols and cruisers...when we come across foljs onthe teack with problems they were always happy to see a Landy, back then Landy drivers could drive and knew there way around tool box.....