16' Series Resistance is futile

MastoCamper

Feb 22, 2013
Footscray
Hi all,

Already started to add to threads and thought I’d better introduce myself to the collective, (I think I’ve been assimilated) after a week of reading through a lot of posts. What’s the old Trekky Borg phrase, "Resistance is futile", but very beneficial with some great ideas and vanning knowledge on offer,

From what I’m told, I was a foetus when I first started camping, down at Ocean Grove foreshore in a 20 by 20 tent, perhaps it was all the sand I consumed as a toddler the makes me go into withdrawals in between camping trips,

Always love the tweaking and mods to make camping more practicable and enjoyable, all with the target of kicking back and having a beverage all the more quicker, (funny when you think of it, 11 months of dreaming and tinkering for weeks of R & R), must be a bloke thing,

Anyway, after just selling our Flamingo camper, ordered the new 16.49.1B from Prestige Geelong 4 weeks to go, fingers crossed ready for our yearly pilgrimage to Bright at Easter,

We generally intend to stay to the black stuff for next few years so didn’t get the off road,

Extras ordered;
Roll out awning and Annex,
AC – standard,
External Speakers (wired only) probably replace if poor quality,
Privacy screens for bed ends (may need to add clear plastics),
ALKO drop jack, (these should be standard),
Wind up TV antenna with power booster
BBQ gas bayonet (mounted on right of A frame (door side))
Also had the mains water tap mounted on right of A frame,
Additional double power point right side of fridge cabinet, (for daughter’s phone, iPad, etc.)
Picnic table,
Had 12v power cabling run for Stereo head unit,
Also, requested square tube rear bumper for simpler mount of bike rack, (not possible by Jayco)
Requested an upgrade of the SETEC Power Supply, from the 20Amps to the 35Amps, one week after the Order form was submitted, got a categorical no changes once submitted, this was very frustrating. I can understand if it meant it would change production schedule because of different cutting or design, but both models are exactly the same size. It all seemed like too much extra effort by our sale rep, not quite feeling the warm and fuzzies like I did when I bought the Flamingo in 2006, which should be expected when committing to such an expensive purchase. Maybe they’ve gotten too cocky because of their popularity, hope it gets better.
My immediate mods after pickup;
Taylor made Shade Cloth annex and veranda flooring,
Install Stereo/DVD/CD/iPod head unit. Already purchased Sony XAV-601BT;
jpg.gif

I know it’s extravagant and don’t need the blue tooth functionality, but, with the touch screen (which will also display DVD’s) and the iPod/MP3 connectivity will cover all AV requirements,
I’ll also run AV input/output for the TV, a Panasonic 24” LCD which double as computer screen for daughter when we aren’t travelling; I have a few ideas of a removable mount I’ll work on at a later stage. Still contemplating whether to fi an amplifier and perhaps even a sub-woofer, but I’ll wait until the unit is installed before deciding,
LED lighting strip under awning,​

Additional mods will be made in lead up to Christmas,

Ok, enough rambling, I’ll post picks of van and Stereo install,

Cheers,

Attachments

• Sony XAV-601BT.jpg
    Sony XAV-601BT.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 245

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Welcome MC, 4 weeks to go.....exciting stuff! Enjoy mate! Hope your experience with Geelong is better than mine was.

Cheers.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi MastoCamper,
Welcome, gotta love the 16.49,s. Great choice. Great post too, love the humour!
Will post some pics of our Tv mount next weekend. I got a quick release plate that sits between the tv and bracket and makes it a quick 2 second job to remove for travel.
Lara.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Welcome MC! :welcome:
This forum is great. It has certainly helped me out and taught me a lot of stuff over the past 6 months. I feel like I have gone from "whats a caravan" to "I know i can hitch it up " :)

Enjoy and I look forward to your posts.
Ants

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Welcome MastoCamper. Like Pace says, I think you're really going to fit in here very easily. Just remember no mod is too extravagant here. Do you still haunt the foreshore at Ocean Grove? We've only been doing the spit for the six weeks at Christmas for 25 years. Still regarded as newcomers! We also made move from a Flamingo. Loved it...but Expanda is another world. Enjoy the anticipation!

MastoCamper

Feb 22, 2013
Footscray
Hi all,

Many thanks for the warm welcomes,

Getting anxious now, 5 more sleeps until we pickup the new panda :distrust:,

Unfortunately missed out using it for our yearly tree change Easter holiday in Bright, ended up in a loaner from Jayco, which was OK, but they originally promised a like for like (as the new van), ironically we got stooged and ended up with a camper similar to what we just sold, but ours didn't have a broken fridge and leaking roof (driving in rain = wet bed) :doh:. Oh well, the main thing is we still managed to get away and Bright was beautiful as always.

Planning a test run with new panda for Anzac weekend to Barwon Heads,

I'll you posted,

Cheers,

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Bright can make up for most things.
Enjoy the countdown...Anzac Day is not too far away. We were in BH yesterday, nice and quiet compared to Summer, but still very enjoyable.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi all,

Many thanks for the warm welcomes,

Getting anxious now, 5 more sleeps until we pickup the new panda :distrust:,

Unfortunately missed out using it for our yearly tree change Easter holiday in Bright, ended up in a loaner from Jayco, which was OK, but they originally promised a like for like (as the new van), ironically we got stooged and ended up with a camper similar to what we just sold, but ours didn't have a broken fridge and leaking roof (driving in rain = wet bed) :doh:. Oh well, the main thing is we still managed to get away and Bright was beautiful as always.

Planning a test run with new panda for Anzac weekend to Barwon Heads,

I'll you posted,

Cheers,

Great stuff, let us know how it all pans out!!