Relocating spare wheel on the rear bar on 18'?

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
The only issue from a warranty/legality side of things if we start adding too much weight both on the rear bar and the A frame is that all this eats into your allowable payload. The van must not weigh more than the ATM that is listed on the compliance plate, otherwise there is a nice little "out" for your insurance should anything happen on the road.

I don't know if it's possible to have the van re-complianced (is that a real word???!!!) by an engineer that would then allow a full payload of food/clothes/water etc., and still be legal on the road.

Cheers,
Matty

wiggo30

Sep 9, 2011
FNQ Townsville
Heres a photo of one of my rear bars , it also holds my KTM.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    513.6 KB · Views: 456
Reactions: expanda

wiggo30

Sep 9, 2011
FNQ Townsville
Ive added 2 extra tubes that are attached to the chassis , the scooters probably a little heavy , but my KTM is fine , I put a 7 pin plug on the the underside of the van and I can remove the bar when Im not going anywere i need the bikes. The bar is adjustible it can slide in or out as needed , great for the kids mini bikes.

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
I know Jayco have made a rear bar with a drop down spare holder because three mates had them fitted when they bough three together some years ago. They are on 14 ft extenda Outbacks. The issue is weight distribution, but added extra weight to the drawbar can compensate. Remembering that this extra weight will cut down your allowable total payload.

The Jayco supplied ones did need some strenghtening I believe.

I'm looking to do similar on my 16.49OB so I can carry an outboard up front, if I ever get one.
nokia 021.jpg nokia 022.jpg

I'm not sure of the brand of van, but I took these in a yard to get some idea of how they work, maybe give you an idea.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I posted these images in another thread.
This is from the Windsor Rapid, and other vans.
It is made by Preston Chassis in Melb and they sell them for about $250..

e6bcd1ea.jpg
d080c4c1.jpg
c3cc5210.jpg

I'm still contemplating this mod ATM..

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Mmmm, no expert but don't fancy that one's chances on a few hundred k's on corrugated dirt.

The one Taylor put up however looks the Biz.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Dunno, ask BUSH PALACE,
he has one of them fitted and just came back from his big trip along the Gibb River Road and the Oodnadatta Trk.

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Dunno, ask BUSH PALACE,
he has one of them fitted and just came back from his big trip along the Gibb River Road and the Oodnadatta Trk.

and dont forget the Tanami track theres no problem what soever with the hitch or welds If it can withstand where we went itll last forever- IM HAPPY !!!!

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
all these great discussions and pics of rear bar options on expanda is really getting me warmed up to start on mine - only thing is you guys are forgetting to post pictures up of the most important area that would be of most help to us----

The under side of where\how you have attached it or rather it is attched (if not your work\van) to the chassis :)

Please folks, in putting pics up of these great rear bar options - - Please Please Please post pics of the bottom of the vans so we can see how they are attched to the van

CHeers

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
and dont forget the Tanami track theres no problem what soever with the hitch or welds If it can withstand where we went itll last forever- IM HAPPY !!!!

Thats good and leads me to believe that all the scare mongering people out there when it comes to people talking about simply putting a spare wheel or two, or perhaps a couple of jerry cans on the back of an expenda (with in reason) are all simply blowing hot air :)

Reason I say that pic put up of the Jayco\windsor option really doesnt look that strong but clearly it is strong enough to handle corragated roads with a spare wheel hanging off with and it hasnt yet ripped the van apart :)

Bush Palace - Few Pics Please Mate if you could, specifically of the bottom how its mounted to the chassis etc.

Thanks

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Hey zerosecta im at work at the moment but i made the rear bar out of 3mm x 50 x 50 tube which mounts through the std jayco mount which is welded to the chassis all i did was extend the mount tube a bit and use 6 ht bolts to mount the bar
carrier was from prestons as matty4 said easy
cheers Russell