Relocating spare wheel on the rear bar on 18'?

Ben

Aug 22, 2011
Mandurah, WA
Still trying to figure out how we are going to store everything needed to be self sufficient. Is it possible to mount the spare wheel on the rear bar if the bar is upgraded to RHS? I would like to have ally box on the front for gas bottles, genie, fuel on the draw bar (like another member has done, except he used a hilux spare tyre winch underneath). I don't think weight will be too much of a issue considering the extra weight I'm going to put on the drawbar. Being able to fold down the rear bed and still have ground clearance might be a problem. Are ther anything that I'm overlooking that will be a problem with this setup and has anyone already done this?
Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks for you're help :decision:
Ben

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Ben ive made a new rear bumper for our 16 and braced it on each weld then fitted a windsor rapid drop down wheel carrier works a treat
cheers russell

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Ben ive made a new rear bumper for our 16 and braced it on each weld then fitted a windsor rapid drop down wheel carrier works a treat
cheers russell
pichers1.jpg

Cheers,
Matty

Reactions: Are We There Yet?

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Ay Bush Palace, Can you put up a pic of " The Windsor drop down spare wheel bracket " you talk of.
This was exactly what I had in mind to carry two spares mate. Correctly manufactured , there should not be a problem to do so. I am an engineer / Custom Metal Fabricator which is my business. I have put this in the easy basket waiting on Van now to hook in & show you guys what will be an after market option for those that are wanting the same thing. Cheers,
Doggy

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Ay Bush Palace, Can you put up a pic of " The Windsor drop down spare wheel bracket " you talk of.
This was exactly what I had in mind to carry two spares mate. Correctly manufactured , there should not be a problem to do so. I am an engineer / Custom Metal Fabricator which is my business. I have put this in the easy basket waiting on Van now to hook in & show you guys what will be an after market option for those that are wanting the same thing. Cheers,
Doggy

Will you sell them??? :whip:

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Doggy
If these become an option to purchase I will put my name down for one, as I was thinking about having a new rear bar fabricated to take a small chequerplate box, but if I can re-locate the spare to the back then the box can go on the A frame.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Doggy
Theres a pic in the below link Doggy although not a close up
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/album.php?albumid=20

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Hey thanks mate I will follow that up when I get a moment.
Bigman, yes they will be on the market mate. Will most likely be hot dipped galvanised.

Matty4, Thats my thought exactly mate. Full box on the front to the height the bed drops down & also relocate the gas bottles to the front of that box. Roller slide for gen possibly in one side & a slide out draw system on the other that stores your hoses , power leads etc etc.

Ben

Aug 22, 2011
Mandurah, WA
Doggy,

You could also incorporate a axle stub with hub packed with bearings etc ready to go in you're idea, just a thought but this is the way I'll be going as long as weight isn't too much of a issue.

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Good idea Ben. I am born & bred old school mate. And being from the far North of Queensland , our moto heading remote is " You can never be under prepared".
Lets face it, who likes breaking down & interupting a fully planned trip when it could have been avoided by throwing in that something a little extra to cover all bases.

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Hey there guys with that much weight on the tail end you;ll have to extend the mounting tubes on the chassis as ive just done my wheel bearings and couldnt believe how heavy the hub was alone so mounting that and a spare , then if you want a spare spring pack will be a fair ol wack of weight.
russell

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
I am planning on mounting my trailer on the rear of the van at a total of 60kg.

I was speaking with the trailer manufacturer who is going to build me a new bar and provide the mounts to me and he said he has done a few of them with Expanda's and he was not concerned with the weight.

He said with all the warnings he is aware of them but he has inspected the mounts and is happy with them but he said he will help me beef them up as required.

I will be mounting a motor on A-Frame so it will counterbalance the weight.

I know there is warranty issues / discussions but I refuse to believe that if it is installed by a qualified tradesman that if anything else goes wrong that they can void your warranty. They need to disprove what has happened and an engineer will quickly determined whether your modification has caused the damage.

One other way I have seen of mounting the tyre and this was done by the head of the service department at Jayco Sydney on his own van and he got a ute / truck spare tyre mount. The type with a chain and bracket and he has it under the van itself at the rear. Pretty nifty.