QLD temp vehicle permit

AussieNick

Feb 9, 2021
Darwin, NT
Thought I'd ask here since I got fed up after a 3 hour hold with QLD roads.

To get a temp vehicle permit to move a caravan out of qld, do people know if I can just rock up to a branch and get the permit on the spot (with the forms filled out and relevant paperwork in hand) or do I need to submit a few days in advance? Since I'm not a resident of QLD I can't transfer the rego to my name.

The website is as clear as mud....

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
@AussieNick. According to the website, yes you can rock up to a branch. You have to nominate how many days to get home as fee is daily and you have to pay CTP as well. This page may help.

AussieNick

Feb 9, 2021
Darwin, NT
Does the van have current rego?
If so you should be able to drive home on that rego I would have thought.
I think it does, don't believe the guy I brought it from has cancelled it.

Might ask if he'd be ok to hold the rego for a week longer so I can get it outta the state

rags

I think it does, don't believe the guy I brought it from has cancelled it.

Might ask if he'd be ok to hold the rego for a week longer so I can get it outta the state
I bought our van in Victoria and just towed it home on the Vic plates ,got a NSW roadworthy, wrote out a gas certificate ( because I can) and register the van. You should be able to do the same.

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
Picked up the current van from Qld and towed to SA on Qld rego. Took it down to SA Rego, had the compliance plate checked and then registered in SA handed in the Qld plates and then the guy in Qld cancelled the rego. The big issue is the Qld rego being cancelled before you get it home. Receipt of change of ownership allows seller to transfer any infringements to you if required.
SA does not have strict rules on van transfer, from another state just need to check compliance plate and chassis number. No gas, no electrical no roadworth for caravans.

Reactions: mfexpanda

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD

Hylux

Sep 1, 2017
Newcastle
Not sure what state your from. I'm in NSW and purchased in QLD. Went to NSW rta got a permit for 4 days cost about $30. I think that covered ctp as well. Picked up van took plates off, gave to old owner and drove home with no plates. I had prearranged comprehensive insurance. When home had to get a blue slip and register.

AussieNick

Feb 9, 2021
Darwin, NT
Ah, See I didn't realise that I can hand the QLD plates into a different state. If the guy is happy to hold onto the rego for another week that'll be the easier option for sure.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Once he sells it he has 14 days to cancel or transfer the rego, I would just get the bill of sale, transfer of rego form, roadworthy certificate, gas certificate, leave the plates on and run for the border otherwise a lot of stuffing around............ then hand in the plates when you change rego to NT.......... if he takes the plates then you will still need the bill of sale, roadworthy and gas certificate to get your unregistered vehicle temporary permit from a QLD Transport office which means they may poke around your tug as well........ check the QLD Rego app to make sure it is actually registered though or a camera may ping you.

AussieNick

Feb 9, 2021
Darwin, NT
The sale date will be 14 days past when I pick it up.

I've got the RWC, Gas cert and the bill of sale. From what i've read it's just that, CTP and pay the rego for 7 days.

Or i'll just leg it lol. Either way i'm driving out of QLD with a caravan on the 20th

Reactions: DRW

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We got ours from SA to Vic. booked in a country Vicroads and got it done on the way home.

If you get a temp rego from NT instead of QLD? Would that work better. Maybe ring and check seems $48.50
Vehicles under 4.5 tonnes$48.50

AussieNick

Feb 9, 2021
Darwin, NT
Nah. Unfortunatly the temp permit needs to be from the original state you start the journey in. I asked if I could submit compliance and RWC details and just get the plates and take them down with me, but it needs to do through the MVR up here for its first set of plates....

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The sale date will be 14 days past when I pick it up.

Then it will still be legal to travel with QLD plates, just post them back to the fella......... a Temp Vehicle Permit isn't valid once you cross the border anyway as far as I know... wasn't years back anyway.... You don't need to be the owner to tow or drive a vehicle you just need permission or authority to do so...