Project 2004 16.49-1 Modernisation

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Age might help them to drop open on bumpy stuff in time fitted that way but if you make 2 velcro straps which just wrap around the awning arm near the top then if the latches come open or the locking knob lower down falls off your awning stays in place, I have used velcro straps for years now and they have saved the day a few times, mostly when I stuff up.......... While you have things in bits check if you can undo the arm locking knob all the way so it comes off, if so open the awning so you can get at the thing and burr the end of the bolt so it cannot come off as they are a very espensive item to replace as well as making a camp difficult...

Age might help them to drop open on bumpy stuff in time fitted that way but if you make 2 velcro straps which just wrap around the awning arm near the top then if the latches come open or the locking knob lower down falls off your awning stays in place, I have used velcro straps for years now and they have saved the day a few times, mostly when I stuff up.......... While you have things in bits check if you can undo the arm locking knob all the way so it comes off, if so open the awning so you can get at the thing and burr the end of the bolt so it cannot come off as they are a very espensive item to replace as well as making a camp difficult...
Cool. Thanks for advise.

Little bit more progress.
New fridge vents in and mud flaps installed.
Hitch finally turned up so onto the drawbar.

Attachments

• 20221213_130607_resized.jpg
    20221213_130607_resized.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 141
  • 20221213_131429_resized.jpg
    20221213_131429_resized.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 20221213_131453_resized.jpg
    20221213_131453_resized.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 153
  • 20221213_131514_resized.jpg
    20221213_131514_resized.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 157

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I did the same sort of handbrake mod on mine, just made a bracket for the arm to pivot on with the locking bar using the slots on the hitch, I have found the hitch to be very good.......................
Is that a 27mhz aerial on the side ??? .................... I would be using a couple of those rubber rod clips to hold it or a couple of small saddles, wouldn't take much for just one metal one to wear thru the gelcoat on the aerial.

Paint job looks good with the stripes....

I did the same sort of handbrake mod on mine, just made a bracket for the arm to pivot on with the locking bar using the slots on the hitch, I have found the hitch to be very good.......................
Is that a 27mhz aerial on the side ??? .................... I would be using a couple of those rubber rod clips to hold it or a couple of small saddles, wouldn't take much for just one metal one to wear thru the gelcoat on the aerial.

Paint job looks good with the stripes....
Handbrake should do the trick. Better check the brakes out now - add that to the list.
Have you found a good way of locking that hitch?

Not sure on the aerial. The old boy that i bought it off installed it. Small speakers by the bed so im guessing he installed it to listen to talk back radio not partying at night.

Cheers.

Reactions: Drover

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Little bit more progress.
New fridge vents in and mud flaps installed.
Hitch finally turned up so onto the drawbar.
@Mike Jamieson What's with the welded plate on the drawbar?? I don't like any welding on that part unless absolutely necessary and then "expertly" done so as not to weaken the metal around it. Did you have a problem or was something else placed there???

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Ha, I thought it was a 27mhz marine radio aerial or maybe CB if you use that freq over there ........................... I just use the bog standard ball hitch lock, it fits at an angle, though mine has some hard facing welds on certain spots which I did to slow down anyone with a hack saw or grinder, make them work for their effort anyway............ plus a proper padlock......................

1671175316701.png
.........one of these jobs but with mods, no need to spend big dollars, insurance is happy with the effort and they really stop the opportunist thief, a $100 job will only take a minute longer with the battery operated units we have now, if that.

I have given a vent and section of roof 2 coats of that Thermo Guard paint stuff I mentioned earlier, it actually makes a difference when touching roof inside, will continue with rest of the job, go for 3 coats and a sealer... Mates motor home came out of recent hail storm with no dents while my rig has a few dents in the roof.. its second hailstorm so not getting anything done this time, don't want any more holes in frame, besides its on the roof.

@Mike Jamieson What's with the welded plate on the drawbar?? I don't like any welding on that part unless absolutely necessary and then "expertly" done so as not to weaken the metal around it. Did you have a problem or was something else placed there???
Previous owner tried to 'reinforce' the lpg tank mounts by the looks of it. Pretty rough but better to leave them there than remove and have a heat affected weak zone.
I should really reinforce with a flat bar under the drawbar. Add it to the list I guess. Just trying to get it ready for Xmas camping in comfort so might have to shelve that repair till winter.
Still got to finish the draw bar locker for the BBQ and lpg bottles.

Ha, I thought it was a 27mhz marine radio aerial or maybe CB if you use that freq over there ........................... I just use the bog standard ball hitch lock, it fits at an angle, though mine has some hard facing welds on certain spots which I did to slow down anyone with a hack saw or grinder, make them work for their effort anyway............ plus a proper padlock......................

View attachment 68797.........one of these jobs but with mods, no need to spend big dollars, insurance is happy with the effort and they really stop the opportunist thief, a $100 job will only take a minute longer with the battery operated units we have now, if that.

I have given a vent and section of roof 2 coats of that Thermo Guard paint stuff I mentioned earlier, it actually makes a difference when touching roof inside, will continue with rest of the job, go for 3 coats and a sealer... Mates motor home came out of recent hail storm with no dents while my rig has a few dents in the roof.. its second hailstorm so not getting anything done this time, don't want any more holes in frame, besides its on the roof.
Thanks.
Yeah I have the same lock. As you say, stops the opertunist. Probably just go with that. I did see a thread on here somewhere where someone had come up with a lock for the stabilizing legs.
Probably look into a way of locking the electric brakes on as well if my auto sparkie ever turns up.

That's a good result on the roof shield. You guys get some crazy hail storms over there alright. What sealer coat do you plan on using over it?
That jobs planned for autumn before winter storage. Gotta get out and use in the coming few months. Working on it a couple of hours a day and all I want to do is hook it up and head bush. Doesn't help the workshop productivity much lol.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
What sealer coat do you plan on using over it?
Came with a tub of sealer, we only used about half of the paint and sealer on mates roof so he's gave me the rest, I'm hoping I will get 3 coats out of it, not removing my solar panels so that cuts down a lot of area, I did a good job on the brackets so not going to try and prise them off.....

I looked at making the leg locks, even scrounged some pipe to make them with but thought stuff it, I do have an idea for a trip wire for the breaksafe, try to drive off with van and it pulls the plug and brakes come on, can get paranoid though, I just bung the hitch lock on and sometimes stick a padlock in a hole in awning so you can't close the arm, driving off with awning up would attract a bit of attention I thought. A phone stashed as a tracker is probably the best passive idea while a wheel clamp combined with a hitch lock be the best physical I reckon.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Previous owner tried to 'reinforce' the lpg tank mounts by the looks of it. Pretty rough but better to leave them there than remove and have a heat affected weak zone.
I should really reinforce with a flat bar under the drawbar. Add it to the list I guess. Just trying to get it ready for Xmas camping in comfort so might have to shelve that repair till winter.
Still got to finish the draw bar locker for the BBQ and lpg bottles.
Thought so @Mike Jamieson. Did look like a bit of a bodgy job. I couldn't believe you doing that after seeing your very professional work in "re-modernising" the other parts of your van. Keep up the good work and your troubles should be few!!

Reactions: Mike Jamieson

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thought so @Mike Jamieson. Did look like a bit of a bodgy job. I couldn't believe you doing that after seeing your very professional work in "re-modernising" the other parts of your van. Keep up the good work and your troubles should be few!!

I thought it was just a chaff plate for a box or something, tack across top and bottom, wouldn't try to remove them though I don't like those tack a bit of angle along the bottom strengthener ideas, I think they cause more cracks myself as one bit won't flex the same and pull at the welds ...................... On a trailer I built, I used some 12mm rod stuck right at the end of the draw bar and tacked 25mm spacers about every 200mm or so to hold it from the bar all the way to the hitch end, both sides of course with both ends tapered down to contact the draw bar it self...... ensured the undersized draw bar I made in haste didn't bend, still functioning, someone dropped a ton of sand in it and my original assumptions on draw bar cap was correct, so I did a temporary mod which has lasted 30 years..

Reactions: Mike Jamieson
Came with a tub of sealer, we only used about half of the paint and sealer on mates roof so he's gave me the rest, I'm hoping I will get 3 coats out of it, not removing my solar panels so that cuts down a lot of area, I did a good job on the brackets so not going to try and prise them off.....

I looked at making the leg locks, even scrounged some pipe to make them with but thought stuff it, I do have an idea for a trip wire for the breaksafe, try to drive off with van and it pulls the plug and brakes come on, can get paranoid though, I just bung the hitch lock on and sometimes stick a padlock in a hole in awning so you can't close the arm, driving off with awning up would attract a bit of attention I thought. A phone stashed as a tracker is probably the best passive idea while a wheel clamp combined with a hitch lock be the best physical I reckon.
I like the ph idea, and padlock on the awning.
Leave a ph on charge in the van. That would make it easy to locate.
Thanks

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have toyed with an old phone I have, gutting as much of the rubbish apps off it then just use a yearly pre paid card and the phone stashed out of sight with a usb plug in the hiding place as well to leave it plugged in, since the threat is mainly at home then an Aldi or other cheapy telco would be okay as once you leave the coast/highway over here its Telstra or nothing really ....
Hope you and yours have a wonderful Xmas over there, its a beautiful country for sure..........

Tidied up the step. Much cleaner. The carpet put in there originally baffles me a bit.
Carpeted the whole van. bit dark for photos. Off for a trip this weekend so will get afew then.

Attachments

• 20221215_150102_resized.jpg
    20221215_150102_resized.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 20221228_115944_resized.jpg
    20221228_115944_resized.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 112