Starcraft Portable solar panels

coys 53

Oct 13, 2019
perth
Hi guys can I connect a portable solar panel to my van through the Anderson wired direct to the battery or does it have to be connected through the ctek

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
if you are absolutely sure that the Anderson plug goes directly to the terminals of the battery (hopefully via a fuse), then a portable panel with a solar controller can be connected to the Anderson plug. An Anderson plug on the van may instead go to the 12V heater connection for the three-way fridge, or it may be wired to both the fridge and the battery.

A ctec is not a standard item on a Jayco. If you mean the Setec, it has no input for solar. If you have a later model van it may have a BmPro J35.
If it is a series A, there is no provision for solar input. The series B does have solar input. If you do want to wire panel to the input, you will need to bypass the controller on the portable panel. One advantage of wiring the panel through the J35B is that the display will show solar charging current.

take care
Mike

Reactions: Drover

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi guys can I connect a portable solar panel to my van through the Anderson wired direct to the battery or does it have to be connected through the ctek

@coys 53 , Just be careful where the Anderson plug on the van is wired to. As @mikerezny said, unless it is definitely connected DIRECTLY to the battery terminals (with a fuse in line), it is most likely just a connection from tug to the heating element for fridge for use when driving. Sometimes, power from the tug via the Anderson plug on drawbar can go to battery as well as fridge. If you connect your solar panel to the one on the drawbar used to connect to another Anderson plug on tug, you will only be wasting your time, although solar controller may indicate that it is charging. Best to use a dedicated fused Anderson plug line direct to battery terminals.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just trace the circuit, to see where it goes, safest bet, in fact trace all the wires hanging off the battery so you know............................. To run a portable with a reg fitted a direct line to battery, to run solar via the BM35you will need to isolate the reg on the panel and run to the solar feed on the BM. I would run to battery myself ................. The reg on your portable must see power on the line to operate so it pays to trace.

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
@coys 53 if everything works out and the Anderson is connected to the battery directly (via fuse) then also be aware this portable panel will "fight" with any rooftop solar (1 regulator will up the voltage on the battery by approx .5v and the other regulator will see the battery at or near full charge and will reduce it's charge).

You can overcome this but it costs some $$$.

You could fit Victron MPPT to each panel and set them up ona wireless VE connect network (they then work together). Or you could run an Anderson from your roof top regulator (assuming you have one) and plug the panel in (without a regulator) but you would want the panels to be approx the same working voltage.

coys 53

Oct 13, 2019
perth
@coys 53 if everything works out and the Anderson is connected to the battery directly (via fuse) then also be aware this portable panel will "fight" with any rooftop solar (1 regulator will up the voltage on the battery by approx .5v and the other regulator will see the battery at or near full charge and will reduce it's charge).

You can overcome this but it costs some $$$.

You could fit Victron MPPT to each panel and set them up ona wireless VE connect network (they then work together). Or you could run an Anderson from your roof top regulator (assuming you have one) and plug the panel in (without a regulator) but you would want the panels to be approx the same working voltage.
Thanks Macca would only have the portable solar as being off grid would be a thing for 3* a year

Reactions: Macca_75